Jambands.ca

McLaughlin article

Tungsten Gruvsten

quote:

There are exercises to develop fluency skills, with concentration on both the left and the right hands—particularly rhythmical articulation. In jazz music, if your rhythm is off, you’re off—and you
don’t
have the right to articulate bad rhythm [laughs].

Thats one aspect i love about Jazz Music. Its not ok to screw up your rhythm, while attributing it to being jamband...

Great article.

quote:

Was one of the things that inspired you to create an instructional DVD your dissatisfaction with conventional music education?
You’ve seen the videos out there. Come on, they suck! Another reason I decided to do it, though, is that I turn 61 this year, and I’ve got a lot of stuff in my pumpkin that might be useful to somebody. Not that I’ve done millions of master classes in my life, but I’ve done a few, and I have personal students, so I know the problems confronting aspiring guitar players.

If I played guitar, this would be a must have instructional tool.

peace.jamesd.

Remember Shakti was also one of my top 3 shows of all time. Also hard to compare Shakti/Remember Shakti with Mahavishnu except on level of Indian influence, so where John is playing a modified Vina-Guitar during the shakti days, and wearing Nehru jackets and the like, the Mahavishnu days were slightly more jazzy/rocky stuff.

Point is, it's all good.

if you'd like, i can send you this show in the mail...

Shakti

May 12, 1977

BBC Rock Hour

Hippodrome - London, England

1. La Danse Du Bonheur - (J.McLaughlin/L.Shankar)

2. India - (J.McLaughlin/L.Shankar)

3. What need have I For This - What Need Have I For That - I Am Dancing At The Feet Of My Lord - All Is Bliss - All Is Bliss - (J.McLaughlin/L.Shankar)

John McLaughlin - acoustic guitar

Lakshminarayana Shankar - violin

T. H. Vinayakaram - ghatam, mridangam

Zakir Hussain - tabla

First broadcasted on BBC Radio 1, May 28, 1977.

its fantastic quality, and it gives you a good idea what Shakti is all about...Its later Shakti stuff, which actually is closer in resemblance to the Remember Shakti of today.

You have to hear the vocal communication stuff...if you do a search on remember shakti on this board, there is a thread that discusses this technique...its amazing to see in person...absolutely amazing!

id have to say Remember Shakti is more of a reformation of the original Shakti.

I dont think the original Shakti, or Remember Shakti can be compared too closly to Mahavishnu Orchestra in style, but in quality, i'd say they are close.

Well at least the original Shakti was...When i saw Remember Shakti live, it was one of my top three concerts i've ever attended...

Definately DONT Miss remember shakti if you have a chance at seeing them.

Hell, dont miss John McLaughlin under any circumstances.

Archived