Jambands.ca

Feline Urologic Syndrome

ollie

I know there are a bunch of cat owners here so... anyone run into this problem with one of their kittys?

Our big guy, another Sammy, started having problems yesterday morning... frequent trips to the litter box that produced little or no urine, trying to urinate in strange places, meowing in obvious discomfort. And it's definitely not constipation as he dropped several big jobs yesterday. [big Grin]

I made an appointment with the vet this afternoon. Looking for any advice on treatment options before they start draining mine and Christine's bank accounts.

crystals blocking the "s" shaped urinary tract of male cats, usually built up from ash and other minerals in cat foods (no warning on any cat foods of course)... they get some sort of blockage, crystals build up and they can't pee, leading to kidney failure and other repurcussions...

at the vets, you need to get things moving with a catheter, they'll probably want to hang onto him for a few days... crucial your vet is of the caring variety and will give you straight answers... I was broke when I went through this with my cat and was told odds are he wouldn't make it, one way or the other... I paid to have him cathetered and brought him home with me... sat and sponge bathed his goods every hour or two to try and keep moving the crystals through and out (wasn't recommended to me but seemed to make sense and seemed to help) obviously always using an along and out motion, never back up... if you're not up to that probably best to pay the cash and leave him at the vets (I had to take my cat back after a week for another cathetering but he's sitting beside me as I type this...

there's a special type of food you'll need to get which helps break down the crystals and move them out... he'll probably need to be on this food for 8 months or a year (maybe more)... for the rest of his life he needs low ash, low mineral food (ask your vet for the specifics)

catheter, sponge bath, special food and words of encouragement... not fun times for a cat... don't hesitate on getting to the vet... it can cost a lot, they won't want you too but if you're around most of the day I don't see any reason home under your care is better than at the vet... keep fresh litter in the box so you can spot if he's peeing at all

if I think of anything else I'll post it

best luck to you and Sammy

(catheter/home/special food/sponge cheaper route - all the above with at the vets (minus sponge but closer to a catheter) more expensive route, can be a lot, I've heard of people blowing thousands... you might want to shop around vets to see who'll do it most reasonably)

if you do leave him at the vets visit frequently and show him your enthusiasm he get better... positive mental thinking does wonders for cats

I had to just put down my 1 1/4 year old Russin Blue due to that stuff last wednesday since I could not afford the vet bill being off work.

I agree with the advice to a degree and the vet did also (I have since gone back to discuss this with her,after I was more compsed about it) and had asked the vet about possible solutions that I could do at home,like diet change etc and was told not all blockages are caused by the diet of your cat,but in talking to the vet,that would not have worked with my cat anyway,he (like most) required surgery to fix him,since it had progessed too far for any home remedies.Although it was also a crap shoot to say if I had gotten to the vet say two weeks earlier it would have been prevented,this stuff takes effect quickly,my cat was fine and running around and happy then 6 hours later he couldn't walk.He also had sired four kittens only months before (they are here and about 3 weeks old) so I would reccomend getting him into the vet at least for a check up,since in my research since last wed I have found in most cases this type of thing takes effect fast and usually in the mid to later stages.

The vet only had to feel his belly to know how far along the trouble was and it was in dire need (that night) he got worked on.

Not to scare ya about this but just a thought ya know?

Your cat is doing exactly what mine was doing.

quote:

Originally posted by Douglas:

oh, and don't forget to provide plently of fresh water for him

Thats a great idea although my cat would not drink and when asked why the vet edxplained it had to with the fact his bladder was full from the blockage and it was probally better he didnt drink alot.

I went to the vets on friday two days after mine was put down,and had quite a log discussion over this since I also have a 13 year siamese cat and a 2 year old tabby,as well four kittens here.

I have found that out in my research and all the literature I was given that it is very wise to get to the vet and have them checked out at the first signs of this occuring.

Regardless.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll let you know how it goes. I trust my vet so I'll listen to his advice. He must be good -- he's in Westboro!

It's frustrating because we are pretty decent cat owners... feed them vet-approved MediCal food -- no human food ever, change water twice a day, clean litter box every day. Shower with love and affection. Yet the female came down with an inflammatory bowel last year and is on prednisone longterm, and now this.

Esau is correct, its a life or death situation

I was told there was pretty much no chance my cat would make it and got very, very lucky (neither vet could believe it)

two after-thoughts:

if you bring him home and he does want to pee somewhere wierd, let him... cats are very clean animals and only will do such an act in dire circumstances (or if they're pissed about something)... if he does get peeing freely you'll never be so happy to see a wet spot on the carpet

and I found some exercise helped, my cat was an outdoor cat and got sick after he moved into an apartment with me where he couldn't go out... after I got him on his feet again I brought him back to the folks where he could run free... playing with string or tinfoil balls during recovery will help move things as well as keep his spirits up

Esau

peace to Marley, I'll miss him... sorry again for your loss

quote:

Originally posted by ollie:

It's frustrating because we are pretty decent cat owners... feed them vet-approved MediCal food -- no human food ever, change water twice a day, clean litter box every day. Shower with love and affection. Yet the female came down with an inflammatory bowel last year and is on prednisone longterm, and now this.

From what I have read and been told from the vet it is not solely caused by diet,some cats (usually male) have this occur,its just in their metabilism.

I wouldn't fret over whether or not it has anything to do with how well you look after your cat.My cat never ate human food,although he never wanted to either,I certianly would never give him any either.

I fed my cat mostly (when it was available at my vets) "Pets First" an organic chicken and rice formulation which is low in ash and magnesium,also contians no wheats.

My point is that somtimes it is just the cats metabolism that causes this,so certianly don't feel it has to do with how you care for him.

Things look pretty good. The vet tried to extract some urine for analysis but Samson's bladder was empty -- so he thinks it's an infection which is causing feelings of a need to urinate but doesn't think there's an obstruction. We were sent home with 2 medications - an antibiotic and phenoxybenzamine, to relax his urethra. He *almost* prescribed some valium which would have been hard not to keep for myself... [big Grin]

So fingers crossed that Sammy starts to get better in the next couple of days. He seems to be doing better already.

Sorry for your loss Esau. Thanks everyone for the advice and support.

Archived