Jambands.ca

I just don't get it...

Douglas

So we're sitting here watching View From The Vault II, and they're doing Box of Rain (philler)...

I just don't get Phil's voice. It's sad because Booche gets such a rise out of it and I pretty much am verging on cringing. (Pretty harmonies though!)

Am I missing something? [Confused]

Phil's voice is AWFUL - always has been, but he's got good pitch. Brent's, Vince's, Keith's and Pigpen's were also AWFUL. Jerry had a sentimental, geriatric voice that was part and parcel with the incredible, emotional guitar playing. Bobby is/was/will always be a fucking ROCK STAR, hence the HEEY! I CAN'T STAND IT NO! I CAN'T STAND IT NOO!! I CAN'T STAND THE RAIN! HERE IT COME AGAAAIIIN! HEEEOOAAAYY! AHAAAAOEAAEOA! YAAAAAEAAA!

I find the big suprise is that Phil learned to sing for his travels with Phil and friends

I've always gotten a kick out of watching Jerry make faces at Bill in old shows when Phil hits a particularly odd note while singing

as far as getting it, Phil sings with all his heart and I'll never knock anyone for doing anything with all their heart (he is playing his strange bass lines while doing so as well)...

think of it like your tone-deaf uncle singing happy birthday to you with the deepest of earnest at the top of his voice... who couldn't love that [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by Booche:

Fuckin' Newbs...............
[Roll Eyes]
(sarcasm is GREAT!)

Obviously, none of you has ever collectively wanted Phil?

Well, aside from VD

Take that anyway you want it.

[Wink]

And yet once again, no solid explanation/argument....just a bunch of slurred crap. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Originally posted by Vermontdave:

It was never about the voice, it was about the story. Radiohead on the other hand.....

Let's talk.... [big Grin]

Phil's vocals are harsh harsh harsh.....

But at least he managed to boss his way back into TOO and clear house of musical hacks such as Steve Kimock and Bruce Hornsby and throw in some of that "PLQ Pedigree"........cough....cough cough.....cough..barracough....cough..he...he.....he....haaaii...HAiiiii..HeeeY HEEY! HEEY!

HEEY! I CAN'T STAND IT NO! I CAN'T STAND IT NOO!! I CAN'T STAND THE RAIN! HERE IT COME AGAAAIIIN! HEEEOOAAAYY! AHAAAAOEAAEOA! YAAAAAEAAA!

-

yeah, i can agree, phil's voice really doesnt do it for me....but, like paisley said, at least he's givin it all he's got.

weezy hit it right about jerry and bobby...but, i gotta admit, i LOVE hearing Brent's voice, in all its awful glory, and same with the Pig.

Archived