Jambands.ca

a Galactic balcony party

doubleB

I just wanted to start a thread for everyone to give their thoughts on the Galactic show at the Opera House on Tuesday.

This was my first time seeing the New Orleans funk machine and I walked away totally impressed.

I was appalled at how bad the sound was on the floor. I toured all over the venue until I was up in the balcony where the show sounded 100 times better than it did on the floor. PEI Punk had already figured that out and soon the rest of our crew did too. By the end of the first set, the balcony had become a raging party with lots of room to dace, an unobstructed view of the stage and more familiar faces than I could talk to in one night. The balcony was definetly where the party was at.

I had no idea Galactic could get so dark and dirty with their jams. That baritone sax was the fattest thing ever (next to a tuba). There were a number of jams that caught me by surprise with their intensity. Biggest surprise of the show had to Galactic's encore to Black Sabbath's Sweet Leaf..... heavy shit!

I was absolutely amazed by how often the words "phish sanctuary" came up at that show.... this is becoming quite a famous forum for those in the know. It came up almost as often as the word "CHEESECAKE"

PS..... If I were to go to Babylon tonight would I be there alone? Is the conspiracy still in play?

That's only the second mention of Galactic in 2 days. Where's wackamole's report?

It's going to be alot of fun this year going out of town to shows. We'll just be seeing the same people over and over and new people too. Cometogether festivals will be insane for that I think.

I was at Galactic as well, went with Jaimoe (aka Trotter), his lady friend, a couple of others. I think it is safe to say we were all equally horified by the sound!!!

When I saw them open for Ben Harper the lead singer got stuck at the border, apparently this time it was the sound man who forgot his passport! I was completely bummed out after the first set.

We moved between the speakers for the 2nd set, which turned out to be a good move. The sound was better and the 2nd set was incredible. We heard the sound was even better on the balcony, guess I will know for next time. But, the 2nd set made up for the first...I would see them again for sure.

I am off to Nero (virgin) this Friday with Jaimoe...

Yeah, Galactic was a wicked-good time and the Balcany was a sweet place to enjoy the show. Stanton Moore is the man on the drum kit. Fully enjoyed the funk but could have done with out Houseman. Lots of great friends and tons of familiar faces helped to make for a sweet eve. Thanks for the ride BB! Phunky B, sweet seeing you again. Good vibes and good times.

Indeedy, indeedy, I agree with a bunch of stuff here... I was down on the floor when they started and was appalled....why would the sound man hate the bass player? Nobody hates bass players..... wink.gif" border="0 I was going to pour my beer on the sound man's head from the upper balcony, but discretion got the better of me. Stanton Moore was the man...wicked drummer! He reminded me a bit of Ben Perowsky (Scofield). I had never heard of him(Moore) before but then I read in jambase.com's newsletter that he is releasing a solo album with a bunch of heavies playing on it. Could be interesting. Galactic was great, NOBODY I talked to liked Houseman (I heard a girl next to me say "Look at the singer- he's just a big penis."). IMO, he actually wasn't that bad in small quantities. OK, I'm looking back and those last 2 sentences are a big, bad setup....but I'll leave them for comic relief. Anyway, great show, definitely worth $15.

Take care of your shoes....

Did anyone notice there was a rather strange rapport, (or more specifically, a complete lack thereof) between Houseman and the rest of the band.

He walked on stage, he sang, he walked off stage. Zero interaction with the rest of the group from my vantage point.

I am not saying I was expecting him to stand beside the (rather stoic, bordering on barely alive) guitarist and do a little air guitar...Houseman just didn't seem to be with the rest of the band.

The sound sucked. Houseman was the only thing that kept me interested in the first set ( and I'm not a Houseman fan and I don't like the late actor John Houseman either) - along with the bad sound, the first set was flat too. I went to the balcony during the first set and it sounded good. Anyway, the 2nd set was really good. I hope they play a better venue next time around.

The sound sucked. Houseman was the only thing that kept me interested in the first set ( and I'm not a Houseman fan and I don't like the late actor John Houseman either) - along with the bad sound, the first set was flat too. I went to the balcony during the first set and it sounded good. Anyway, the 2nd set was really good. I hope they play a better venue next time around.