Jambands.ca

Presentation Jitters

bradm

he heh heh

Ok Arcane...I got point one.....

but it kinda supports my answer.

But then you may be using the other side of the brain..

hang on a minute I'll come over......

........... - ...........sorry....

still not seein it.. no worry I am sure Miss Hux does.

Thank you though...I don't look thru that side often enuf.

Can't claim to know Daria...but I did see your cute lil' smiley face. That tone of voice you heard....it came from inside of you, so let go a little and let the peace vibes in.

-

quote:

Originally posted by Phakinit_thru:

That tone of voice you heard....it came from inside of you,

Mmm, very doubtful. It's not always wise to use the same metrics for me as for others. But you don't know me well enough to know that.

Consider me chronically interstitial. I make a profession of it.

Little teacher tip, Ms Hux. Have some sort of hook early on. A hook is anything you can do to grab the audiences attention or suck them in. Now I don't know what your presentation is but you could use anything from a series of Socratic type questions, to a video clip, to a visual aide. For example, today I'm teaching about Quebec identity in history, I just began by having the class list three things key to their identity and three things key to the Canadian identity. Then followed in by asking what they'd do if someone wanted to slowly take that away (spouse/USA) and THEN hit them with the beginning. You see the concept? It gets them thinking as opposed to jumping right in. Hell I've seen cookies be a hook before. ANYTHING to get them listening to what you're sayin. Hope that helps.

power point is a great way to give yourself hints and guides. if you have time and a way, do a power point presentaztion.

also, smoke a doobie before work or have a beer with your co-workers before. hell, present at a bar if you can.

get up super early, sleep in, take a long shower/bath, cook a great big but light breakfast, eat it over CBC radio or a great CD, spend more time and doll yourself up a bit more but be very comfortable(if you look good you'll feel a bit better), if you wear perfume, wear a light perfume and put it on right after the long shower you're taking(it';ll be more subtle and smell more fitting for you), and remember...when you're presenting, SLOW DOWN! pace is totally vital to a good presentation. be friendly and more conversational in your presentation.

and go over your presentation with phriends tonight. get a good night's sleep and remember that you're the only thing that can make you feel uneasy. there's no reason you won't have a decent presentation as long as you have a good time and flow with it. sure, there could be little snags as every other day but none of them really have any bearing to your presentation. what you say has nothing to do with whether or not you got a puddle splashed on you or you broke a heel on a shoe or somehting else that is pretty unrelated to the content and delivery of your fabulous presentation.

remember - bullshit may smell a bit foul but it can still grow the prettiest flowers.

Okay phriends I could use some help. I have to give my first presentation for work tomorrow and am looking for some pointers on calming my nerves.

The presentation is in front of 15 people and to be honest, I am not all that prepared. I know what I am saying because I have it in note form, but I haven't memorized the notes to the point where I can deliver it without looking at them. I think that's why I'm nervous, because I am not properly prepared. Sure, I have no problem singing centre stage but that's doing something I love and am relatively good at, this feels so different and scarey. *gulp* advise please!

Guest Low Roller

1- Confidence is the key to any presentation. You can spew the most ridiculous bullshit (not that you will [big Grin] ) but as long as you act confident, people will believe you or, at the very least, take what you say into consideration.

2- Reading off of cue cards is bad. Just write down key words that you want to use instead of full sentences. That way you can't read, even if you wanted to.

3- Give a nice intro and then get to the point. Everybody hates a meeting that goes longer than it really should.

4- Eye contact. This one is tricky though. It goes hand-in-hand with confidence. Look people in the eye, that will force them to listen to you. If you look down all the time, that will just make you seem unsure of yourself.

I hope some of this helps.

Well Ms. Hux...

Reading your Avatar, I'd say you are probably more prepared than most already. Let go of wanting to look perfect and stand for what you know.

Do ya know what ya wanna say?

How long is this talk?

Write down one word for every two minutes of talking.

Have only one small note in front of you that has your little list of words to jar your memory to your notes. You're bright..you know what you wanna say..let go of the paper and say it from your heart.....naturally and in your own language not some fancied up garble..(but no f words)..if they don't like it...too bad...it's you...you gonna walk out on yourself?...no...so let go of nervous and be the best you, that you can and it'll have to be good enuf won't it?... all that nervous worrying wont change you, but it will bring you what you fear most, so let it go and flow as only you can know.

No one else can give 'em what you can..you either fit or you don't and if you don't why are you there? Take off the mask and be cool.

I'll be holdin' your hand in my heart...

[Cool]

With only a day to go, you're kind of limited in your options. First off, practise, especially in front of people. Get comfortable with the material (even rehearsing it out of order, and having your practice audience interrupt/heckle you). Do you have presentation materials (e.g., overhead slides or PowerPoint)? If you do, don't just read what's on them; use them as key points, and expand on them in what you say. Point-form notes on 3x5 cards are an old standby.

Try to maintain presence (confidence is part of this; I agree with everything LowRoller says); speak clearly, enunciate properly, and remember to not go too quickly (which can happen due to nerves).

Good luck. Is taping allowed? :-)

Aloha,

Brad

Drink a little honey w/ yer tea before the speach,this will eliminate the nervous "crackles" in ones voice. Also a benzodiazepine always does the trick but you might not believe in that sort of medication. Think:"CALM BLUE OCEAN,CALM BLUE OCEAN"

Good Luck,you'll be dandy. [big Grin]

Aw, thanks everyone. All excellent advise. I will adjust my notes to reflect keywords. I think the reason I'm so nervous is because when I designed the presentation I *did* have just points to expand on, then as it went through the company and my many bosses for approval, they all added sentances and started adding big blurbs to say the things in a certain way, which isn't exactly how I'd say it, but is EXACTLY how they want it said. Grrrr. It's turned more into a speech then a fun presentation.

I will feel my hand being held. Thanks for that.

Another key is sincerity: once you can fake that, you've got it made.

No, really: you don't actually have to be confident (though it helps), just make your audience believe you're confident (this goes along with the whole "presence" idea: exude confidence [whether you have it or not], and they'll pay attention).

One thing that can help is to realize that you're helping the audience: they're there because you have something of value to give them. Think of it as a peer-to-peer transaction (quid pro quo: they give you their time, you give them the info), rather than a "I have to impress them" thing. You become a vehicle for the valuable information, rather than the key.

Also, pay attention to the logistics. Know when/where you're presenting, have anything you need set up (or know who's setting up; see if you can do a sound check), avoid things that can make you nervous (e.g., caffeinated beverages), have some water handy, and take care of any personal biological needs you may have before you start. If you're one of many presenting that day/morning/afternoon, know who's in charge and who you're following, and realize you're likely going to be starting late. If you stuff to print out (e.g., handouts, or slides), get started on it today; all photocopiers and printers are equipped with Critical Need Detectors, which always go off five minutes before a presentation. Better yet, have an admin ass't or secretary do it for you.

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by Phakinit_thru:

OK I think she gets it. But really..

she's worried about forgetting the words to the song Arcane...

1) To the best of my knowledge, music and speech are processed by different parts of the brain. Ms Hux does just fine in concert, so ....

2) Daria-like creature that I am, I can understand how someone would overlook a smiley in my post.

Guest Low Roller

Excellent. I'm glad things went well.

I need to give a presentation to upper management today, and I am a little nervous. Of course I like to think that nervousness leads to confidence, and that no-nervousness leads to arrogance, so I think I'm on the right path.

Got any new presentation tips you'd like to share?