Jambands.ca

Evolve Festival

aberg83

I want to go. I'd be interested in setting up a carpool/vanpool/buspool from Ottawa.

Knowing nothing of the geography of the region, how far is Evolve (Antigonish, right?) from the nearest major urban centre (e.g., Halifax)? If it's not too far, I've thought of flying in and catching a local lift from Halifax to the grounds. Is such a thing doable?

Aloha,

Brad

Your best and cheapest way in, would probably be to fly in to Moncton. It is around 2 and 1/2 hours from there to Evolve. I think it takes around 3 hours from Halifax, but flying in to Moncton is cheaper.......

Hope that helps. Flying here is relatively cheap, and so is everything else (except the gas and produce). If I hear of anyone else doing the same thing I'll let you know.

Sean

OK everyone ... let's make this happen!!!

We should/can/will/must get a convoy happening to the Evolve festival.

I am going and would love to see a group of us go in a bus or big recreational vehicle.

I plan on leaving on Thursday afternoon and I must be back in Kitchener on Tuesday morning, so it will be a whirlwind tour, but if we had a bunch of drivers and a big enough vehicle, it could work beautifully.

If that doesn't happen, I will be looking at flight options, but I'd love to do the driving trip if possible.

Other thoughts or ideas???

Peace, Mark

I'm glad to hear so many are going to are want to go to Evolve this year. Great time.

For those who are thinking they may fly, I flew last year, and it was all good except for a rental car issue. Chock that up to having never having rented one before.

We bought our tickets through Air Canada's web saver on Wednesday and left on Thursday. Cost I think ~$500 for two people. Seems that the prices are about the same if you book in advance.

You have a good idea Ms. Huxtable, I actually had someone drive some 'extra' stuff that I didn't have enough room for in my bag on the plane.

The flight is only 1.5 hours from Ottawa to Halifax. Just enough time to get a light lunch and read a couple of chapters in your new book.

This year we're heading out early for a couple of weeks on the coast. One week either side of Evolve. Hmmmm, 14 nights of camping goodness.

See you there.

Well I'll see most of you before, but......

Hey Esparagus...and any other upper canadians wanting to camp on the coast..make sure you hit the highlands national park in cape bretton, only a few hpours from EVOLE, and a walk on ticket to newfoundland is only 25 bucks for an 8 hour ferry ride to either saint johns or port-aux-basque...you can then hitch hike to Grose Morne national park..DAMN...that place is the worlds greatest secret....

How many people would be interested in a van rental or in chartering a bus to make the trip to Evolve. I'm thinking of leaving from Kitchener, with possible pick up points along the 401.

I'm thinking we'd leave Kitchener on Thursday afternoon, arrive at Evolve on Friday afternoon (when the fest starts), leave Evolve on Sunday night when the fest ends (around 9 p.m. I think), and arrive back in Kitchener on Monday night.

I've made a few calls and when I crunch some numbers we'd be looking at a price per person for the transportation of $200 to $400 per person, depending on the mode of transport and the number of people.

Feedback please. Are people into making a commitment (i.e. coming up with money in advance) to make this happen? It would be a blast, and it would be cheaper than flying.

Post your commitment level, suggestions, ideas etc. or email me with your feedback.

Peace, Mark

Just for laughs, and because I like trains, I went to VIA and checked things out.

It looks like the closest station to Antigonish is Truro. (If it's not, what is the closest station?)

To get to Truro on Friday, Aug. 2, you leave Ottawa Aug. 1, change trains in Montreal, and then run overnight to Truro, arriving in Truro around 2:30pm. (All in all, it's over 22 hours one way.) With a return trip leaving Truro on Monday, Aug. 5 (overnight to Montreal, then Mtl. -> Ottawa on Aug. 6), with economy seating all the way, the fare came to $400 return.

And remember, that's economy: you'll be sitting in a train seat the whole way. If you want a room with a bed, or a berth, add a few hundred dollars. And you still have to get from Truro to Antigonish.

I'm leaning toward bus participation, myself.

Aloha,

Brad

Brad, I agree that the train option doesn't seem too appealing. By the way, Evolve is on Aug. 23, 24, 25.

Flying is definitely appealing because of the speed of travel. Approx. $350 for a return ticket plus transport needed to and from the airport. Both Moncton and Halifax are a few hours from Antigonish, where the festival is being held.

I love the idea of chartering a bus, but it is only feasible with an up front financial commitment from 30 or more people to bring the price into the $300 range. But it would be a blast and we would be styling. Plus no one would have to drive.

I'm also thinking that we could rent a 15 passenger van and fill it with 8 people and all of our gear. I'm estimating that this would work out to $200 to $250 per person. This isn't the most comfortable option and it would mean sharing the driving, but it is a very flexible option and would also be a lot of fun.

I'm thinking that the cost of gas to drive a car to Evolve from Toronto would be in the $250 to $300 range (round trip cost).

Ideally, some people will be able to turn it into an East Coast holiday. I already have other summer holiday plans so this is not an option but I highly recommend that people consider taking a week or two of summer vacation and building the Evolve festival into a nice Maritime summer holiday.

Any other feedback from people? Does anyone know where we could rent a bus or RV more cheaply? Does anyone know if Further Bus lines are still in operation? (I think that is what they are called.) Other suggestions and comments are appreciated.

No matter how we get there, one thing is certain ... Evolve is going to be loads and loads of fun!!!

Peace, Mark

Do not take the COMA TRAIN...that is the worst means of transportation in the history of the world. I took that stupid thing to Montreal about 4 years ago....after 22 hours of freezing cold air blowing on you, seats that didn't recline past a slight lean, a blanket the size of a kleenex and a pillow that smelled like barf, $8 sandwiches and no sleep, I would never take that shit box on rails again!!!!!!!!!!!!

while i can't offer anything concrete at this point, i will be making my way out to the festival - probably heading east early to spend some time checking out the area before the festival. (got those earlier suggestions, any other must-sees for a first trip to the east?)

i will be more than willing to pick people up from an airport or nearby town to save on travel trouble..... or if you're up for some exploration and camping, perhaps a ride out earlier from as far west as vancouver....

The drive will take around 16 hours from Toronto. But remember when figuring gas costs, that as soon as you hit New Brunswick prices go up about 10 cents a litre, and the first three hours of travelling are extremely hilly and the gas gauge responds accordingly in a large vehicle.

As for getting from Truro or Amherst or Moncton to Antigonish, I know enough people out here to work something out. Plus if we had to I certainly wouldn't mind driving out to the neccesary meeting place to shuttle some people in once I am already there.

Mark, call me once you work something out and I can give you some suggestions or places of interest to stop, cheap hotels along the way etc. 506 693 5184.

Sean

ps. COME ONE, COME ALL!!!!!!! We would love to host the skanks in our new home.