Jambands.ca

Ok Enough about Phish....

PassedOutGuy

I'm quite jealous that you get to enjoy this freaking band tonight. The Punk was incredible. Nero was incredible. I forgot that drums and tuba was even playing afterwards. However, I also forgot how much fun drums and tuba are as well until they came on.

say it with me...say it proud....Punk!!!!

-

The Punk was just as I expected...amazing! Not only is he amazing just for picking up the tunes and performing them so well with such short time to learn them, but he has that unique style of playing that we got a glimpse of. Small amounts of slap and funk. I have a feeling that when he becomes a bit more comfortable with the tunes, he will turn it up a notch and those hints will turn into fists...ready to punch our lights out!

nero and the PEI dude were great last night. Dave and I agreed that nero played at the best venue so far in Toronto: The Rivoli. The place was packed and the atmosphere was good. nero played a very aggressive hour set and the boys looked like they were having a good time on stage. I had to miss Drums & Tuba but nero was more than worth the dough.

I think I said something like this to the nero boys:

If I had heard the set without knowing the Punk was playing, I'm not sure I'd have known there was a different lineup. (That's not to say the Punk sounds like Shane [he doesn't], just that there's so much variation between the feel of nero shows that Friday easily fit into the nero spectrum.)

That said, knowing the Punk was playing, I could hear a difference -- the bass sounded more aggressive, more up front. I think I can imagine the bass leading a nero song, whereas I usually think of Shane's playing as being more laid-back / hang-back.

All in all, the Punk fit in beautifully. That Lemondust was epic. IIRC, the set list was something like:

1. Wata Bug
  2. Lemondust -> Bosheeba -> Lemondust
  3. El Vezz

but I'm not sure about #3; corrections would be welcome.

As I see it, this isn't a radical departure, but a new phase in nero. I like it, and can't wait to hear more of it.

Aloha,

Brad

P.S. Did anybody notice the new stage arrangement? At Babylon, the bass and guitar switched sides (guitar on the left as you face the stage, bass on the right).

This show was great! I thought punk was a perfect fit, and the set was out of control. D&T were great as well. It was nice to meet a few more of you sanc guys - hope to see you and nero at the CoZo in November.

P.S. A packed Rivoli was a great time - perfect venue and atmosphere.

Brian

I hung at the back of Babs with my gf, both of us a bit tired and not wanting to get our ears blasted too soon. I immediately noticed the bass/guitar stage switch, as well as the more aggressive, equal-footing bass line driving. Jay's drums were great. I'd like to know the third song, as it seemed new to me (aka I may have missed the shows where they played it since I started seeing them in July) but I danced nicely to it.

D&T was sick. Just sick. The mood wasn't lost from Nero; the groove kept going on in the intermission, and some of their segues were so smooth as to be (to me) like good chocolate (which I had brought and which mysteriously disappeared - I hope it was enjoyed and not thrown out). I only danced twice to them, as I had 8 hours of dancing on Saturday to go through, but just sitting and listening was more than enough.

Oh, and I'll finally get to see that "Praise You" video this week. I promise not to get offended. [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by Velvet:

Set list:

Wata Bug

Lemondust>

Basheeba>

Lemondust

Chocolate Monkey Machine

Ugh. Of course I meant "Chocolate Monkey* Machine" when I wrote "El Vezz". It was just a typo. Honest.

Aloha,

Brad

* Is said Chocolate Monkey gentle or rabid?

quote:

Originally posted by dancingfool:

Oh, and I'll finally get to see that "Praise You" video this week. I promise not to get offended.
[big Grin]

Now I've heard the song, seen the video, and researched the origins of the video. Now I can't blame anyone from associating it with my dancing, though I hope it's obvious I'm not doing the same thing. (I'll make sure to avoid any 80s clothes nonetheless. [smile] ) It was cute...