Jambands.ca

Sick Covers

kung

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many Police tunes I am into right now.

Blues Traveler were doing "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" for a while I think in 2001 - I've been looking for it since, that would be amazing to hear!

And actually Booche, I hosted a Police/Sting mini-tribute show a few years back, the setlist for the Uncle Seth part is at http://musicface.com/uncleseth/setlists/02272002.html FYI.

We continued to "Do Do Do Da Da Da" for a little while in Uncle Seth with Tara singing the Spanish lyrics - very funny! I should see if they want to pull that one out again sometime.

We also had a house band and did a bunch of other tunes. The Sting song "I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying" would be quite sweet done by the right group.

Good times!

- M.

I forgot about the Talking Heads covers, obviously Crosseyed has been done and should still be done. Cities still has merit too if you ask me. It is SO unfortunate that the String Felch had to do This Must Be The Place because it's just so good. Heaven would be another dream as would Once In A Lifetime!!! Also Life During Wartime has been done as of late I think (Panic?) and seems fitting. I Zimbra> Big Business would be equally fitting.

Come on people must have more of these. I know all the bands are taking notes. It'd be hard for anyone to pull off but if you want a Stones cover Moonlight Mile is the one. I embarassed to say I hadn't payed attention to that song til Brad Barr told me that the 'hardcom wave' of Honey Melon sort of reminds him of that song: 'with a head full of snow...'

It's been covered by Alvin Youngblood Hart. You can get it on one of those blues tribute Stones albums. Alvin does Moonlight Mile live too. I heard it for myself the last time he played the Silver Dollar in Toronto a few years back.

The first (and only) time I heard Panic do Cat Steven's "Trouble" I couldn't immediately remember whose song it was, but had a lump in my throat the size of an apple and felt my eyes welling up with tears. I thought, "what the hell is it with this song that is making this happen to me?" and then I remembered that it's played during the final climactic scene in the movie "Harold and Maude" which I've only seen about 25 times and it hits me the same way every time. Whether or not that was WSP's intention in playing that cover (or whether they play it as a tribute to Michael Houser), I'm not sure, but man, talk about emotional.

As for Stella Blue, some may think it blasphemous, but Warren Haynes and Rob Barraco did a very soulful emotional acoustic version at the Terrapin Gathering at Alpine Valley in 2002 that had to be heard to be believed. It was gorgeous.

A couple favourites that I'd like to hear someone do justice to are Stones "Stray Cat Blues" (Beggar's Banquet version), though I have a Johnny Winter version that's pretty smokin', and Who "My Wife".

Still waiting to hear Mule's version of "Since I've Been Loving You" too.

As a sidenote, I remember She Stole My Beer would play a long show filled with great originals and just pull out great b-side obscurities for their encores. Hey, whatever happened to SSMB?

And why does no one ever do some Alvin Lee and good old Ten Years After, like maybe "Once There Was A Time" or "Hard Monkeys", both b-side off "Space In Time", one of the best album sides ever IMHO.

As a sidenote, I remember She Stole My Beer would play a long show filled with great originals and just pull out great b-side obscurities for their encores. Hey, whatever happened to SSMB?

Didn't they get back together recently for something? It might have been a BC show for a charity or something. I may have dreamed that but I seem to remember seeing something about it either here or perhaps jamhub. I'll investigate further...

- M.

I just remembered what, to me, is a really great cover: Tori Amos' version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit". IIRC, it was the first of Amos that I had heard, and it was on a late-night radio show that I was listening to in an effort to fall asleep. (I almost never listen to the radio in bed, and haven't since this incident.)

It came on, and her haunting, pleading voice, accompanied only by piano, coming at me in the darkness, just about electrified me.

Another artist who covers it is Anne McCue. I caught her set (opening for Enter the Haggis) during a Winterlude a couple of years ago, which was featuring Australian artists. I hadn't heard of (let alone heard) her before, but this pretty blond female guitar player (with that accent... ::) shows up and proceeds to absolutely slay me with her music, include that Nirvana cover. I bought the album (which I love), but, alas, it didn't include that tune...

Aloha,

Brad

On the whole "Eminence Front" thing (probably the best late-era Who tune, IMnsHO), there was a discussion a while back about the best segues you'd like to see bands do, and one of them was:

Eminence Front ->

Voices Inside My Head* ->

Elephant Talk**

* Originally done by The Police.

** Originally done by King Crimson (one of the later line-ups with Adrian Belew)

Now if I could just get a band together who'd be willing and able to do all that...

Aloha,

Brad

Hey, you've already got a vocalist ... all we need now is a rhythm section, another soloist or two, rehearsal space, a PA, microphones, and we're laughing ;)

Weird ideas for covers that have been going through my head lately (if *I* ever get a band together) :

Down The Dolce Vita - Peter Gabriel

For Your Pleasure - Roxy Music

Ten Years Gone - Led Zeppelin

4th Of July - Soundgarden

Conquistador - Procol Harum

Station Man - Fleetwood Mac

Sandy Mary - Fleetwood Mac

Falling - Matthew Sweet

Reefer Madness - Hawkwind

Lover Of The Bayou - The Byrds

Change Of Heart - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

Youngstown - Bruce Springsteen

Free Four - Pink Floyd

Do Your Thing - Isaac Hayes

Shadow Of The Sun - Paul Weller

Say Goodbye To The City - Tindersticks

and the segue I've always wanted to try ...

The Other One ->

Run (Spiritualized) ->

The Other One ->

Keepsake (Crime & The City Solution) ->

The Other One

I could go on (And in fact have)

Long windedly yours,

RnB

I'm in your new band Brad.

Cool, but you'll have to learn at least two chords other than E in the first position...unless you'd rather play drums? ::

Max Creek used to do a killer version of 'Season of the Witch'.

For another really good version of this, go and get the Al Kooper & Mike Bloomfield album, "Fillmore East: The Lost Concert Tapes 12/13/68". It also has them doing "59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)". IIRC, "The Live Adventures Of Mike Bloomfield And Al Kooper" and the Al Kooper / Mike Bloomfield / Steven Stills "Super Session" album also have "Season Of The Witch" on them.

Aloha,

Brad

AH Kung-- good to see you still like picking on me!!hehe...

have a few others here for you-- Countfive--- Psychotic Reaction, Anything by CCR-- but preferably--I put a spell on you, or Crimson and Clover.... or from more recent stuff---Jesus Crist Pose, Cypress Hill--Hits from the Bong-- and Old Beck... and yes, I do like Freebird... I hate Skynrd, but have a shining to that song... wrote an essay to it once... anyhow... thanks Mr.Musicface-- always forget the name of that song!!! ::

It's been covered by Alvin Youngblood Hart. You can get it on one of those blues tribute Stones albums. Alvin does Moonlight Mile live too. I heard it for myself the last time he played the Silver Dollar in Toronto a few years back.

Alvin Youngblood Hart kicks ass,I have had the pleasure of seeing him a few times,we got to hang out with him when he played The Horseshoe 11.09.97 (I have the poster on my wall) ywo sweet sets on acoustic goodness and afterwards we were lucky enough to hang out and shoot the shit about blues in the back room.Nice to have friends who have friends at times,this was one of those times.

Alvin covered a few tasty numbers that night,he kicked out one serious version of "Gallows Pole" and also "John Hardy" .

Oh yeh, and I heard a song on the radio last night that someone could do a great cover of: "The Things We Do For Love" by 10cc. Actually notwithstanding the fact that I'm not the world's biggest Garica fan, that would have been a nice one for JGB to have done methinks. It's in the same mold as some of the great R&B covers that he did. (If I'm crazy please feel free to let me know!)

- M.

Oh yeh, and I heard a song on the radio last night that someone could do a great cover of: "The Things We Do For Love" by 10cc. Actually notwithstanding the fact that I'm not the world's biggest Garica fan, that would have been a nice one for JGB to have done methinks. It's in the same mold as some of the great R&B covers that he did. (If I'm crazy please feel free to let me know!)

- M.

Gregson & Collister (former members of Richard Thompson's band) did a pretty cool acoustic version of it ... I don't know if the album is still in print, though ... it's on my "really big list of songs I'd like to do some day.

RnB