Jambands.ca

Salt Spring Island

DevO

Defying all logistics and financial situations, I'm heading to Salt Spring Island June 10-14 to see a very special lady. I'm wondering if any of you have visited this island before and if there are any must-sees? Cheers!

Yeah, ive been to SS and its just amazing. The Sat. market is very entertaining and artistic, you cant miss that, its probably started by now...as well as the hostel which youre probably not going to visit cause you know someone there, but its one of a kind, the people are very open minded, friendly, musical, generous (if youre walking around with a backpack, be prepared to have someone stop and ask you if you need a ride anywhere) and finally, the ferry ride there has lots to offer scenery wise...hope you have fun, i wish to go back VERY soon...

Saltspring is awesome - I was just there last weekend. If your friend works at the hostel, then you'll probably want to stay there - but if you get the chance, go to Ruckle Park and camp out for a night - it's an unbelieveable spot.

there is an area... i can't remember what it's called.. but there's this big farm, old style, and there's a walking trail that goes to all these wicked views on the ocean. sorry i can't be more specific but ask around, it's pretty sweet.

there is an area... i can't remember what it's called.. but there's this big farm, old style, and there's a walking trail that goes to all these wicked views on the ocean. sorry i can't be more specific but ask around, it's pretty sweet.

That's Ruckle park meggo, with the abandoned farm buildings all scattered - it also has an amazing camping area oceanside.

• 3 weeks later...

ahess...it is Mount Maxwell and it is beautiful!!!I've spent lots of time there...and I have a couple best friends that live on the Island.....it is still one of my favourite places on earth......if ya meet the local named John Carter tell him Tara says HI!!!Go see a sunset at Bourgoin Bay ....the most beautiful spot for a sunset(Neil Young parks his boat there sometimes)

Beddis Beach is awesome, it's at the end of Beddis Road.

Go all the way to the end of Rainbow Road and you'll find a wonderful beach.

There's amazing hiking trails up on Trincomali Heights, get a local to show you.

Fernwood Dock is at the end of Fernwood Road at the north end, very romantic pier and a nice beach. Say hi to my elementary school as you drive past!

Make sure to go to Ruckle Park. Watch for Orca fins out on the open ocean. It's Orca season!

Mouat Park is a nice forest walk that's right next door to downtown, you can walk there from town in 5 minutes.

Embe bakery is the best place for coffee and pastries. But Barb's Buns is where all the hippies go.

For herb hang around the bookstore that's to the right of Centennial park and talk to the first hippie you find.

Best ice cream is Glad's for sure.

Go to the Treehouse Cafe for lunch at least once!

St. Mary's Lake at the north end and Cusheon Lake on the way to Fulford (turn left on Cusheon Road coming from Ganges) both offer great swimming in the summer.

Sunset Road is a makes for a really nice sunet car cruise. It's about a 30 minute drive and it's just gorgous. Takes you thru an area of the island that tourists rarely see and very nice windy roads thru farmland. Use a map to find this one. It's accessed down on the way to the Vesuvius ferry.

There used to be a nude beach on Walker's Hook. Dunno if it's still there!

Most importantly: hitchhiking is the #1 method of transport on the island. Use your thumb to get anywhere! You'll meet all kinds of neat islanders.

Enjoy the island and say hello for me :)

-Kevin

As I said before, I grew up there... :P

I spent 15 years on that godforsaken rock! I don't really like the place, so much history, family lives there etc, but I like to encourage others to go because it's a great place to be! (if you don't have years of history there etc)

My family ran the "Booth Bay Resort" at the end of Baker Road for years and years! Ohhh so much history. ::

megs - the name is vaguely familiar and I bet I'd recognize the face, but I was probably too much of a nerd in my highschol days to remember her. However, she probably remembers me as everyone from the island does :P (even the people who never spoke to me it seems)

EVERYONE knew my name!

EVERYONE knew my name!

Well it IS a great name! ;)

Hey Kevin thanks for all those awesome tips.. I can't wait to get there. I'm actually trying not to think about cuz this excitement is overwhelming. I'll letcha know what I got up to once I get back. Exactly 3 days from RIGHT NOW, to the hour, I will have been there for about 2 hours. ::

In high school on the island, there was an urban legend that the biggest ladies man in school (I think his name was Nick) had sex with the hottest girl in school on Fernwood dock in the middle of the night.

Are you cool enough? ;)

p.s. Island trivia - does anyone know why Saltspring Island is called Saltspring Island?

p.p.s. How cool is it that there's a place called 'Ganges' and a place called 'Vesuvius' on the Island? :) I think that's pretty cool.

p.s. Island trivia - does anyone know why Saltspring Island is called Saltspring Island?

Its was named by the Hudson's Bay Company for the saltwater springs on the north end of the island.

edit to add:

I know I read also that at one time (origianlly) it was Salt Spring,but later renamed as Saltspring in the early part of the 1900's.

I was there 12 years ago...egads I'm old....lots of hippies thats what I remember most but would like to suggest you and your pal make it over to luscious,lusty Galliano(not sure how its spelled)Island. I was spellbound by this fairytale place....mmm...have a great time. The ferry ride alone is worth the trip. :)Must have been a sweet place to grow up.

:)Must have been a sweet place to grow up.

Meh! Everybody always says that and I always disagree. Kids don't give a crap about nature, and I was no different. Growing up on the island was incestously insular and really very boring. Too many Stephen-King-character jerks cruising in big trucks and black Camaros. *harumph*

It's a great place to visit though. ;)