Jambands.ca

"Jam Cruise 3" - Article about the busts.

Esau

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes there is always a risk when you participate in something that has been deemed illegal by governments but that doesn't mean that they DESERVE to be arrested. Don't you see the danger in this logic?

No, no I don't. I've broken the law many many times and haven't been caught yet. I think drug laws are unjust but if I get caught smuggling drugs onto a cruise line...I deserve to be arrested.

right. discretion is key here, folks. Getting loaded at CTMF is one thing, and if the cops showed up there, that would be most unfortunate. But going through US customs patrol is something else altogether.

Don't let having a good time get in the way of common sense. Now Indiana only has three dentists left.

Tube - not my point at all, and wow it didn't take long for someone to draw that assumption.

Boogie's statement is a big warm wool blanket. As I said in that post, if he'd narrowed that to drug Laws I'd have said nothing, but lamenting a law because it doesn't let you do what you enjoy? Big warm wooly blanket statement that's too preposterous to let slide.

i knows its not your point, but it was comparison you were willing to draw.

i understand the correlation your trying to convey, but i just dont agree with it.

in my mind, there are different levels of 'wrong'. You are saying cause a pot smoker doesn't believe its wrong (the laws), that makes it less wrong. So in relation, because a pedaphile thinks its ok (which i'm not sure they do), in turn, pedaphilia is ok. (well not ok, but less wrong)

those are parallels that i'd rather not draw.

Personally I think there's a big different in stupidity level between attempting to take a couple joints in to a concert and trying to take any amount of drugs thru a customs checkpoint.

There is a parallel between pedophilia and drugs - THEY'RE BOTH ILLEGAL. That's the only one.

Yes, there are varying levels of wrong, but you're either charged for a crime you commited or you're not (setting aside what goes on in the courtroom so we don't get too mired in the finer points).

The penalties vary but by law, pedophilia is "wrong" and possession of pot is "wrong", the justice system recognizes the varying degrees by imposing varied sentences. That being said these laws still don't fit the crime appropriately, and this is especially true in the United States.

Surely there are more advocates for marijuana reform than there are child sex law reform. But using personal pleasure as a reason to break a current law, no matter how unjust that law might be, doesn't really fly with me. AS I said I've broken that particular law hundreds, maybe thousands of times but if I'm ever arrested for it I'll swallow my pride and not diminish the medical marijuana advocates by saying that the law was unjust anyway, so I decided to break it.

okay, i thought we were talking about personal drug use here, not sex with children, rape or murder. Really, the piont i was trying to make is that any of the people arrested could have been someone you know. yes they took a chance, likely based on the fact that in previous years jamming some weed in your undies wasn't a problem and now they have to pay the price. Passing judgement, calling them stupid and saying they deserve it is kind of fu©ked and have to wonder if you'd feel that way if it was someone you knew.

having known many a good friend that has been arrested and locked up in prison, i have compassion for people that get arrested for wanting altering their consciencness.

But using personal pleasure as a reason to break a current law, no matter how unjust that law might be, doesn't really fly with me.

Outside of medical users why do people smoke pot? for personal reasons/pleasure. I'm not making issues with whether or not the law is unjust, i just think it sucks those people got arrested and i feel bad for the experience they are going to have to go through, just like i would if any of you got arrested.

Right or wrong its still fu©kin sh!tty,I agree with boogieknight on this issue.

One thing is, these folks going on jamcruise were profiled,they don't have drug sniffing dogs at the other ports the cruiseline does tour packages to check each passenger as they board (all this after they get their pic taken for the cruise-pass!),this is an isolated incident where people have been arrested like this,regardless if the folks were stupid for bringing dope,they were still profiled before-hand and to me that is also completely wrong.Someone with the jamcruise organization dropped the ball on this one....

agreed Asau. definately some major Profiling going on...

not to mention they COULDN"T have done the 'whole' crowd, or there would have been more than 12 seizures...

like really, you think there were only 12 people bringing weed on that ship? OBviously that dog was well trained, if she could smell two grams of weed!

I do feel sorry for those individuals.. Esau, great point, these people were totally profiled... My father runs cruises and they have NEVER had a dog search them as they boarded. Also, every drug imaginable made it on board last year with no problems what-so-ever. Going through Customs was an absolute joke last year. And I think we are kind of hypocrital by calling people "stupid" for taking drugs to a 4 day festival, that just so happens to be on a boat.. Say what you want about going through customs, but I reinterate, Customs was an absolute joke last year. All foreigners had to go through on our from international waters to Florida, and guys were in the midst of major acid trips, and the customs officers didn't bat an eye. Don't forget, any festival we go to, we are at risk, CTMF could very well be a major drug bust, and we would all be fu©ked... and if you were to go on the ship, are you going to tell me you wouldn't be looking for anything other than alcohol. This sucks. Its a risk we all take on a regular basis, and we should sympathize for those who do get caught. But that's just an opinion.

okay, i thought we were talking about personal drug use here, not sex with children, rape or murder

If that were the case I wouldn't have unleashed numerous posts. Unfortunately, this began when you posted the following:

easy to say looking from the outside but if you've ever had someone you know arrested for any reason it sucks and they always deserve compassion and support.

So make up your mind. What are we talking about here? How it sucks to know someone arrested for any reason or how it sucks to be arrested under current drug laws?

i fully agree with esau and boogieknight here.

the problem lies with the laws, and that should be our focus.

i mean "common sense" doesn't dictate the law or its punishment (unfortunately). So it sucks when people with DIFFERENT sense, not better or worse or stupid or smart, take a fall.

as for bringing pedophilia into this ahess, come on! dont draw parallels between two radically differnt things by seeing them through some imaginary binary system,(rights on one side, wrongs on the other).

okay sorry ahess6488 that i didn't use the exact laugage you were looking for to clearly define my point. You should get together with my high school english teacher, as she seemed to have the same problems with my writing.

i guess the reason that i used that language is that all of the people I have known to be arrested I have supported them with care and compassion, even when they were in the wrong.

It sucks about the profiling.

It sucks that a plant that grows from mother earth naturally is under such tight restrictions in a place where a lot of cool things go down.

It sucks that "hippies" go to things like this and jack up their already astronomical prices on weed and other drugs so you feel you have to bring your own in. ($55 USD for a 1/2 quarter on slip tour and that was a phatty hooked up deal *barf*)

it sucks that people don't adequately prepare themselves before going to something like this EVEN if they've been before. like finding out what cruiseline it's on, what type of security will be going on, and SCOPING OUT the entrance before going in. Maybe it's leftovers from my raver days where you almost had to go through a cavity search to get in, but damn, i always look to the door to see what security is doing.

At least the word spread down the line, and of the many many many people who made it on board only 12 were detained. Hopefully jamcruise doesn't totally F these people over and reimburses them for part of their trip since they didn't get to go. I mean they COULD have sent out an email reminding people they would be going through customs and in light of the orange level alert they all live under would be subjected to heavy security checks.

I mean they COULD have sent out an email reminding people they would be going through customs and in light of the orange level alert they all live under would be subjected to heavy security checks.

That is one of the more sensible ideas that's come out of this thread today. As it were they didn't do that and 12 people were charged with possession of various substances.

Yes, it sucks to get arrested. Yes it sucks if it happens to someone you know. I don't believe it's sad per se but to some it might be.

But a bunch of people who were packing and trying to get onto a boat charted for international waters getting busted? I feel the same amount of compassion for them as I would an American trying to mule drugs out of singapore...they knew the laws in the country were harsh and unjust, and regardless of whether they were fair or not they chose to ignore them and got caught.

At what point do people run out of excuses and realize they got themselves in that situation? Pot laws didn't make them carry weed, but it dictated what kind of punishment they received. For the guy who had 12 bags of heroin and was tackled on the dock, I'd say he knew he was doing something he shouldn't have been doing.

I'm all for individual rights...and the responsibilities that go with that.

ahess,

by your own words, laws are 'harsh and unjust'. Therefore i dont fully understand why you dont feel 'compassion' for these people, (especially for persons with just pot). Just because they did it under their own free will?

I feel for the person who is prosecuted under strange, historical/hysterical driven made laws.

If we lived in a world where laws were never broken or challenged because people were following them, we still might believe the sun orbits the earth, and gandhi and mandela might still be inprisoned.

Once again, anyone who uses, or transports drugs to ANY show is taking a serious risk. I keep hearing the same comments about international waters?? Has anyone ever been on a cruise ship?? Have they ever seen a drug-dog waiting for them at customs? Were there dogs at customs last year--no! Could there be a drug bust at any show, or festival in North America??-Yes. Based on what happened last year, these individuals had good reason to think they were safe bringing a stash on. Based on experience, I feel sorry for these people, we brought weed on the boat, and we didn't get checked. I also bring weed to lots of places and never get checked---which makes me lucky, not better.

"Have they ever seen a drug-dog waiting for them at customs? "

I have, a number of times. A couple of visits down to Mexico/Venezuala and I had the dogs on my person as well as my luggage.

I'm with Ahess. As much as it sucks for those people, use some common sense. Speaking out against a law is one thing, but dealing with international borders is not to be taken lightly.

Therefore i dont fully understand why you dont feel 'compassion' for these people, (especially for persons with just pot)

And that's just it. I have varying levels of compassion for varying crimes with varying punishments, and with varying persons. Again the root of this is not the drug laws (for the umpteenth fu©king time, I've said they're unjust), it's about whether I have compassion for a person for any reason (based on Boogieknight's post, since corrected, so why am I wasting my time with this?).

I just can't do that whether it's my own father or some stranger. And implying that you have different levels of tolerance for pot vs. the guy with baggies of heroin makes me suspect that you dole out your love based on the crime. Seems reasonable enough.

So I'll repeat myself for the last time and get the new day going with something else because we're running in circles and my loins are aching. It sucks to be arrested. It sucks to be arrested for any reason. People don't always deserve compassion for what got them arrested. I don't believe these people were stupid (nor have I said that anywhere in this thread), I think whatever sentence they receive will be more than is necessary, but do they deserve to be arrested. Yes, yes and yes.

Thanks for the rousing debate chaps.

Sexily (I need my own, I know. Sorry Scott but I just love this)

Adam

Good morning, everyone.

fu©k 'em all. I have no compassion for them. They were trying to get on board a fu©king "jam-cruise"!! Anybody with a ticket should have been arrested just for trying to attend. They should have let everyone on board and then sent the Coast Guard in to just tank 'em. Let the fishies get all loopy on all their smack and x and then feast on their bloated wookie corpses. Then everybody's a winner.

Have a day.