Jambands.ca

Slowcoast Saturday at Maverick's!

gentlemonkey

If anyone in Ottawa is on the fence about this show then trust me they're worth the cover (which I think last time was 5 bucks but it easily could have been more).

Its the type of band where you can pick out any member and choose just to listen to him and you won't be dissappointed (and hell if you don't like it you can spend the entire evening ruining my night by telling me how much you think they suck).

Tungsten check you PM's

I also encourage people to come early enough to see/hear Caution Press. I'm not sure they "used to be Freephonic" (though they did have a penguin figurine when I saw them at Dekcuf, which I guess is a Freephonic thing), but they put on a good show, more song-oriented than jam-oriented, but they're all good, seasoned players, and they're local and, I think, have potential.

Aloha,

Brad

i'll give you the lowdown about the Jupiter's Hollow/freephonic/grand national/caution press thing...

Jupiter's Hollow was Steve Gaw on vox/rhythm guitar, Aedan Helmer on lead geets and backup vox, Robyn Stewart on the bass, and Justin Purvis on drums. They all went to my elementary or Highschool at one time or another (steve was in grade 13 when i was in grade 8, and I went to Merrickville Public school (elementary) a couple of years under Aedan and Justin...Aedan's father Doug was my Communications technology teacher and a very cool, rather heady guy...Robyn's sister Hailey was in my music classes and in Highschool Band on tenor Sax and Justin's brothers and I were friends long before justin and I...Peter and I played in a funky celtic outfit (bagpipes always have that Bb drone so there was only so much you could really do) and Matt was definitely the coolest guy i've ever met) and shortly thereafter they changed their name to FREEPHONIC. They brought me to the Whipping Post almost as many times as nero did (well maybe more over a couple of years) and i got a thankyou on their album (which you should enquire about at the show as i'm sure they have a lot of copies left) for filling in for Robyn at a Perfect Strangers gig when he'd broken his leg and for being there whenever i could be.

For some fu©ked up reason that I don't quite know or care to understand anymore (water under the bridge) they stopped playing, Robyn moved out east and back as well as Steve, playing with Wheel'er with our friend Paul Mahar, and then after a repatriation, Steve and Aedan started playing again with Aedan's cousin Ben singing and playing guitar, (shifting Steve to Bass) and a drummer and keys player. i dodn't remember their names but the drummer only had one full leg. i was impressed...the guy could rock it. this time they were called Grand National and had to rename themselves after they found out that another band was called Grand National...really unfortunate because they had a seriously cool looking imaging graphic...this rad old locomotive with a sort of art deco text...looked slick and the name Grand National is better to me than Caution Press...but i don't care about that really.

So Justin gets back from Japan (i forgot to mention he was teaching English and is trying to get a full time job teaching kids at the elementary school level) and they start playing again. The drummer and keys player had left by then...more songs are written and they keep retooling their sound.

so brad...it's the same band with new songs and a new sound.

but i'll never stop telling them to break out some of the old freephonic tunes. they were definitely Jammier and I always scratched my head when i never saw them tour ontario.

you guys would've really liked that band. Solid songs, great playing, catchy danciness. Caution Press is a bit more serious but more free in some ways.

Steve Gaw is still one of my favourite songwriters of all time and it makes me smile to know that i'm always welcome to go and have some beers and cheers at his house just outside of Kemptville.

Any of you Ottawa folks rememeber Amanda? Steve's sister. Definitely a key part of my life.

I'm on the CP mailing list, and got an e-mail about the show, which says

Hey folks,

Here's the skinny:

Caution Press live @ Mavericks

Saturday, February 26, 9-ish.

I'll probably be there between 8:30pm and 9:00pm, which should give me enough time to get set up if they do actually start at "9-ish" (which I doubt they'll do, I figure more like after 10pm, but that's just my opinion).

Aloha,

Brad

Hey from Scottie's last post i'm not going near him. or he would have to ride in the trunk.

OK looks like it's all sorted gettin' off work and leaving the confines of Southern Ontario for the dank headiness that is Ottawa

Gentlemonkey-I expect to hear you say the word 'anal' at least once in casual conversation....

Bradm - I'm not bringing any gear, i'm not looking at any gear, I don't wanna see wires for an evening at least.

Booche - Do you really wanna hurt me? Do you really wanna make me cry? I'll tumble for ya... Girls just wanna have fun.

Velvet - I've just thought of two key things - prevenge and pretaliation. Perfect ways to get back at someone before they can get back at you.

Ok sh!t gotta go to work or i'd have personalized e-greets all around. I'll save those till I get there!