Jambands.ca

Pink Floyd Reuniting for Live aid

Jakis

My least favorite Pink Floyd album, and my vote for the ULTIMATE Roger Waters stroke-off has got to be that over-celebrated, unlistneable exercise in megalomania called "The Wall". [edit to add: I'm not thinking of post-Watrs efforts here.]

"The Final Cut" however is as touching and as beautiful as "The Wall" is not. I hadn't listened to TFC for years until just last month and I was blown away by how strong it was, both as a personal and politcal statement. The title track is beyond beautiful. Give it another listen sometime, preferably alone, naked and afraid.

In my not so humble opinion of course!

Edited by Guest
wot's uh ... the deal?

My least favaourite Pink Floyd album is the Roger Waters masturbate-athon "The Final Cut".

I have a special love for Final Cut, but I get where you're coming from even Roger Waters himself hated The way the Final Cut turned out, he has often said he wished he had never written it.

I confess to being a sucker for Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, and, well, the other two Waters solos, in a way that just doesn't apply to the "Pink Floyd" albums subsequent to TFC (I have all sorts of horrible personal associations with Momentary Lapse of Bank Statements, its lyrical callowness aside). While the occasional metal guitar riffs in Radio Kaos and Amused to Death might have made me cringe a bit, the writing carries on that under-the-skin disturbing quality that made Floyd worth listening to in the first place. Waters can sure carry on a helluva George Dubya diatribe, to boot.

That said, I do hope they've all put some serious thought into what they want to contribute to this thing, besides a greatest hits parade.

My least favaourite Pink Floyd album is the Roger Waters masturbate-athon "The Final Cut".

I have a special love for Final Cut, but I get where you're coming from even Roger Waters himself hated The way the Final Cut turned out, he has often said he wished he had never written it.

Me too, I also hold a special place in my heart for The Final Cut. I still have it on a white cassette tape. Every time I hear certain moments I get chills. Beautiful, poignant. Waters was a brave man.