Jambands.ca

What are you listening to right now?

PassedOutGuy

http://bit.ly/gp4j9d

P13425676.jpg

Derek and the Dominoes – Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs [Deluxe Edition 2011]

http://www.ericclapton.com/eric-clapton-news/derek-and-dominos%E2%80%99-layla-and-other-assorted-love-songs-turns-40

Two discs-76,57 minutes each approximately. The sound is clean and open-better than past editions, and world’s away better than the original, muddy, vinyl release. The discs snap inside the usual fold-out holder like other Deluxe Editions, except there’s no protective plastic sleeve this time around. The booklet has information about the band, the songs-who plays on what, and includes period photos-you’ve probably already seen the two-page photo-collage from the original gate-fold album. This edition is for people who don’t have the original version of this album from just a few years ago, as far as sound quality.

The first disc is taken up with the original 2 LP album. By now most people, if not at least familiar with the music, have owned a copy for many years. Also by now, most people know the story behind the album-Clapton’s intense playing, and the frustrated, heart broken vocals because of his love for his friend, George Harrison’s wife. Nothing really needs to be said about these songs-they speak for themselves. But it’s interesting that when the album was originally released, it didn’t create much excitement. At the time people actually did ask-â€Does Clapton play on this albumâ€? “Is he a sidemanâ€? “Whose Derekâ€? Well, it didn’t take long before several songs became popular through radio play, and the album to be hailed a classic.

The second disc is where things get interesting. After playing on “All Things Must Passâ€, Clapton decided that Phil Spector should produce a new album Clapton was going to record. But the single (included here) “Tell The Truthâ€, along with “Roll It Over†was quickly withdrawn by the band. Hearing these sides it’s fairly apparent that Spector wasn’t the right choice for the album. Several tracks from the aborted second album are also here. While they have their moments, the absence of catalyst Duane Allman on guitar is telling. The sound and feel is very different-Clapton needed a good , fiery player to spark him into playing his best. I was lucky enough to hear the band live, and the difference without Allman was very apparent. There were exciting moments, but that initial fire was all but gone. At times Clapton sounded bored-as if he had tuned up and tuned out.

“Mean Old Worldâ€, an old blues workhorse, is here with both Clapton and Allman laying into the tune on acoustic guitars, which is a highlight (of several) on this disc. It’s another instance where the rapport between the two guitarists is apparent. Allman was a good acoustic blues player, and here his style blends with Clapton’s into an almost intuitive rendition of this great old song. If you own the 3 disc anniversary set, you know this tune already, but it’s still a great version.

The two versions of “Got To Get Better In A Little While†are interesting, and fill in a gap in the group’s discography. The jam version is just that-loose and fluid. The finished version (Bobby Whitlock went back into the studio to flesh out and complete the tune) is simply a more polished sounding song. This great tune has always been popular, and both versions are very worthwhile.

But, arguably, the best tracks on this disc are from Johnny Cash’s TV show. During it’s run, Cash had a number of good musical guests, besides his own performances. I still remember the excitement of hearing different generations of great musicians launch into “Matchbox†(especially), and the other great tunes the band played that night. The excitement of the performances could almost be felt through the TV. Many people (like me) have hoped and waited that this great music would get a good, legitimate release. All the excitement, the history, and the dueling musicians, plus the original band’s performance, mark this batch of songs as another highlight on this edition.

With now many years of hindsight, the band (originally called “Del and the Dominosâ€) came together in one of those rare moments. The combination of a fully seasoned rhythm section, a fiery yet sensitive guitarist like Allman, good songs (both by the band and outsiders), and Clapton’s unrequited love for a woman he thought he could never have, produced a classic album. With Allman to play off of, Clapton’s playing soared to heights of near abandon, with Allman matching him note for note. His obsession for Harrison’s wife sharpened his writing, singing, and playing skills like never before. Clapton has said that Allman was the musical brother he never had. Their intuitive playing made the band come alive. The first disc is a classic. The second disc shows what the band sounded like without Allman, and the fact that Clapton was losing interest in the band. But there are a number of gems-the acoustic tune, the Cash TV tracks, even the versions of “Got To Get Better In A Little Whileâ€, are all exciting, important additions to the original album. This is one “Deluxe Edition†that’s worth owning in it’s entirety, especially if you don’t own a previous edition that’s been remastered. - Stuart Jefferson

mp3@320

Tracklist

DISC ONE: LAYLA and other assorted love songs (ALL NEWLY REMASTERED)

1. I LOOKED AWAY (3:06)

2. BELL BOTTOM BLUES (5:05)

3. KEEP ON GROWING (6:23)

4. NOBODY KNOWS YOU WHEN YOU’RE DOWN AND OUT (4:58)

5. I AM YOURS (3:35)

6. ANYDAY (6:36)

7. KEY TO THE HIGHWAY (9:38)

8. TELL THE TRUTH (6:40)

9. WHY DOES LOVE GOT TO BE SO SAD? (4:43)

10. HAVE YOU EVER LOVED A WOMAN (6:54)

11. LITTLE WING (5:33)

12. IT’S TOO LATE (3:51)

13. LAYLA (7:05)

14. THORN TREE IN THE GARDEN (2:51)

DISC TWO: LAYLA and other assorted love songs (bonus CD)

1. MEAN OLD WORLD (3:52) Layla session out-take

2. ROLL IT OVER (4.31) Phil Spector produced single b-side

3. TELL THE TRUTH (3.23) Phil Spector produced single a-side

4. IT’S TOO LATE (4.11) Live on The Johnny Cash Show, 5 November, 1970 * PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

5. GOT TO GET BETTER IN A LITTLE WHILE (6.34) Live on The Johnny Cash Show, 5 November, 1970 * PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

6. MATCHBOX (with Johnny Cash & Carl Perkins) (3:56) Live on The Johnny Cash Show, 5 November, 1970 * PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

7. BLUES POWER (6.31) Live on The Johnny Cash Show, 5 November, 1970 ** PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

8. SNAKE LAKE BLUES (3.34) From April/May 1971 sessions for the Dominos second album ** PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED NEW MIX

9. EVIL (4.34) From April/May 1971 sessions for the Dominos second album ** PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED NEW MIX

10. MEAN OLD FRISCO (4.04) From April/May 1971 sessions for the Dominos second album ** PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED NEW MIX

11. ONE MORE CHANCE (3.15) From April/May 1971 sessions for the Dominos second album ** PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED NEW MIX

12. GOT TO GET BETTER IN A LITTLE WHILE JAM (3.45) From April/May 1971 sessions for the Dominos second album * PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

13. GOT TO GET BETTER IN A LITTLE WHILE (6:05) From April/May 1971 sessions for the Dominos second album ** PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED NEW MIX

* previously unreleased recording ** newly remixed recording

http://bit.ly/gp4j9d

Edited by Guest

http://bit.ly/hPOsl6

2wpt3k8.jpg

Mumford-Sons-Sigh-No-More.jpg

Mumford & Sons – Sigh No More

English folk outfit Mumford & Sons’ full-length debut owes more than a cursory nod to bands like the Waterboys, the Pogues, and the Men They Couldn’t Hang. The group’s heady blend of biblical imagery, pastoral introspection, and raucous, pub-soaked heartache may be earnest to a fault, but when the wildly imperfect Sigh No More is firing on all cylinders, as is the case with stand-out cuts like “The Cave,†“Winter Winds,†and “Little Lion Man,†it’s hard not to get swept up in the rapture. Like their London underground folk scene contemporaries Noah & the Whale, Johnny Flynn, and Laura Marling, Mumford & Sons’ take on British folk is far from traditional. There’s a deep vein of 21st century Americana that runs through the album, suggesting a healthy diet of Fleet Foxes, Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens, Blitzen Trapper, and Marah. That melding of styles, along with some solid knob-twiddling from Arcade Fire/Coldplay producer Markus Dravs, helps to keep the record from completely sinking into the quicksand of its myriad slow numbers — tracks like “I Gave You All,†“Thistle & Weeds,†and “After the Storm†are pretty and plain enough, but they neuter a band this spirited. Sigh No More is an impressive debut, but one that impresses more for its promise of the future than it does its wildly inconsistent place in the present. – James Christopher Monger

mp3@320

Tracklist

DISC ONE – ‘Sigh No More’

1.Sign No More

2.The Cave

3.Winter Winds

4.Roll Away Your Stone

5.White Blank Page

6.I Gave You All

7.Awake My Soul

8.Little Lion Man

9.Timshel

10.Thistle & Weeds

11.Awake My Soul

12.Dust Bowl Dance

13. After The Storm

Bonus Track: Hold Onto What You Believe

DISC TWO – ‘Live at Shepherd’s Bush Empire, London’

1.Sigh No More

2.Winter Winds

3.Roll Away Your Stone

4.White Blank Page

5.I Gave You All

6.Little Lion Man

7.Thistle & Weeds

8.Timshel

9.The Cave

10.Dust Bowl Dance

11.Feel The Tide

http://bit.ly/hPOsl6

Edited by Guest

http://bit.ly/jYgIDZ

foldercyi.jpg

Ryan Adams & The Cardinals – Class Mythology

“As a record store day special, on Saturday Ryan Adams and the Cardinals will release Class Mythology EP, a limited-edition gatefold double 7†(one yellow, one orange) featuring 4 unreleased outtakes from the band’s 2008 Cardinology-era. The album includes cover collages created by Adams with never-before-seen photos on the inner-gatefold and a 7“x7†‘mini-poster’ and Cardinals sticker inserted in each package. Only 2,500 copies are said to be made available.â€

mp3@320

Tracklist

1. Go Ahead And Rain

2. Invisible Red

3. Your Name Is On Fire

4. Future Sparrow

http://bit.ly/jYgIDZ

I just keep listening and re-listening to:

okker.jpg

hoping, praying, wishing that its going to grow on me. I am so utterly disappointed with this one its going to sting for a while.

Gonna have to give it a few more listens but so far it's a huge let down, It just doesn't even sound like Okkervil River. Not quite sure what Will was thinking on this one.

Bob Dylan & The Band

The Spectrum,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

7th Jan 1974

Lineage: Low gen tape > CDR > EAC > Flac

LosslessBob entry: LB-2647. sounds better than previous version from lowgen bittorrent which is a different recording as it does not have brief background talking on d1t3 2:09, 2:44; very good sound B >

Fix of LB-2647: WAV > Wave Repair 4.9.3 to fix index clicks/micro gaps between all tracks and leading/trailing digital silences. Flaws still reported by DFF are music/background noise related or spots of light distotion > FLAC sector align.

1. Rainy Day Women # 12 & 35

2. Lay Lady Lay

3. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

4. It Ain't Me Babe

5. I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)

6. Ballad Of A Thin Man

7. Stage Fright (the Band)

8. The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down (the Band)

9. King Harvest (has surely come)(the Band)

10. Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever (The Band)

11. All Along The Watchtower

12. Ballad Of Hollis Brown

13. Knockin' On Heaven's Door

01. Just Like A Woman – (solo)

02. Girl From The North Country– (solo)

03. Wedding Song - (solo)

04. Nobody 'Cept You – (solo)

05. It's Alright Ma (I’m Only Bleeding) – (solo)

06. Rag Mama Rag (the Band)

07. When you Awake (the Band)

08. The Shape I'm in (the Band)

09. The Weight (the Band)

10. Forever Young

11. Something There Is About You

12. Like A Rolling Stone

13. Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I’ll Go Mine)

Note. Live debut of Wedding Song.

http://bit.ly/mLX9UL

phishcheck-e1302983851812.jpg

Phish – Two Soundchecks

On Record Store Day, Phish will released TWO SOUNDCHECKS, a Limited Edition 7-inch vinyl record that will be available exclusively at participating independently owned record stores across the country. ‘Two Soundchecks’ marks the band’s first ever live vinyl release and their first release in conjunction with Record Store Day.

This 7-inch is limited to 2,000 hand-numbered copies, and once they are gone they are gone. The A-Side is an instrumental jam culled from the soundcheck of Phish’s third show of a sold out three-night stand at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley, CA. The B-Side is an especially exotic soundcheck from Hartford, CT in 2009, featuring Trey on Bass, and Fish on drums. This Limited Edition 7-inch was created exclusively for Record Store Day.

mp3@320

Tracklist

01 – August 7, 2010 Berkeley, CA Soundcheck

02 – August 12, 2009 Hartford, CT Soundcheck

http://bit.ly/mLX9UL

Edited by Guest

I am half-way through listening to this and it's fucking GREAT! Really digging it.

http://bit.ly/jlnngS

cover.jpg

My Morning Jacket – Circuital

With almost 2 million albums sold worldwide and a previous Billboard #9 debut with 50,000 scanned first week…. and now… My Morning Jacket return with their sixth studio album, the stunning Circuital.

Circuital was recorded in Louisville, KY and Nashville, TN, and was co-produced by frontman Jim James and Tucker Martine (R.E.M., Sufjan Stevens, The Decemberists). The result is yet another reinvention of their sound that both forges new ground and maintains the distinct spirit of MMJ s previous work. – amazon.com

mp3@320

Tracklist

01 – Victory Dance

02 – Circuital

03 – The Day Is Coming

04 – Wonderful (The Way I Feel)

05 – Outta My System

06 – Holdin On To Black Metal

07 – First Light

08 – You Wanna Freak Out

09 – Slow Slow Tune

10 – Movin Away

I am half-way through listening to this and it's fucking GREAT! Really digging it.

cover.jpg

My Morning Jacket – Circuital

With almost 2 million albums sold worldwide and a previous Billboard #9 debut with 50,000 scanned first week…. and now… My Morning Jacket return with their sixth studio album, the stunning Circuital.

Circuital was recorded in Louisville, KY and Nashville, TN, and was co-produced by frontman Jim James and Tucker Martine (R.E.M., Sufjan Stevens, The Decemberists). The result is yet another reinvention of their sound that both forges new ground and maintains the distinct spirit of MMJ s previous work. – amazon.com

mp3@320

Tracklist

01 – Victory Dance

02 – Circuital

03 – The Day Is Coming

04 – Wonderful (The Way I Feel)

05 – Outta My System

06 – Holdin On To Black Metal

07 – First Light

08 – You Wanna Freak Out

09 – Slow Slow Tune

10 – Movin Away

Thanks for the link. I'm really enjoying it too.

mmmmmmmmmmm

http://bit.ly/kdGiL4

folder.jpg

Grateful Dead – Road Trips Vol. 4 No. 3

Colorado has been fertile Grateful Dead Territory since the band’s first foray at the short-lived Denver Family Dog in 1967, and by the time 1973 rolled around, the group had built a large and loyal following there the old-fashioned way—by playing killer shows! Y’know, we often talk about the deluge of great tunes that came into the Dead’s repertoire during that fabulously fecund 1969-70 time period, but from the summer of ’72 through the summer of ’73, there was a veritable psychedelicornucopia of wondrous new Dead tunes introduced, including a handful that appear on this edition of Road Trips: “Here Comes Sunshine,†“Mississippi Half-Step,†“Weather Report Suite,†“They Love Each Other,†“Stella Blueâ€; each a classic in its own way, and indicative of some of the exciting new directions the Dead’s music was heading.

All of those except “They Love Each Other†turned up on the Dead’s exceptional Wake of the Flood album, released in mid-October 1973. It was the band’s first studio record since American Beauty three years earlier, and also the maiden release on their own Grateful Dead Records label, so they were way jazzed to be out there on the road digging into their recent tunes, several of which proved to be fine jamming vehicles and were instantly popular with the group’s ever-growing fan base.

The first set of 11/21/73 is a rock-solid and varied collection of tunes, including several “western†numbers (“Jack Straw,†“Me and My Uncle,†“Mexicali Bluesâ€), a lovely “Brokedown Palace†(remember when that could turn up almost anywhere in a show?), a lilting and crystalline “Here Comes Sunshine†and a beautifully developed “Weather Report Suiteâ€â€”already a monumental song after just three months!

The second set is where the fireworks really go off, however. It’s dominated by a spectacular hour-long medley that begins with “Half-Step,†segues into “Playing in the Band,†travels 715 miles due south for a little gunplay in “El Paso,†dips back into the “Playing†jam for spell, then into a superb “Wharf Rat,†back to a dynamic “Playing†reprise, and is topped off by one of the best versions of “Morning Dew†from this period. Nice! There’s plenty of show after that, too, with “Truckin’†rolling into a rare “Nobody’s Fault But Mine,†then “Goin’ Down the Road†and “Saturday Night†as the rockin’ capper. “Uncle John’s†is the perfect anthemic encore.

Filling out Disc Three is a meaty triumvirate from 11/20 consisting of “Truckin’,†a typically convoluted and exciting “Other One,†and then a lovely “Stella Blue†that ends this Road Trips on a particularly poignant note. - Blair Jackson

mp3@V0

Tracklist

CD 1:

1. Me and My Uncle

2. Sugaree

3. Jack Straw

4. Dire Wolf

5. Black Throated Wind

6. Big Railroad Blues

7. Mexicali Blues

8. They Love Each Other

9. Looks Like Rain

10. Here Comes Sunshine

11. Big River

12. Brokedown Palace

CD 2:

1. Weather Report Suite

2. Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo

3. Playing In The Band

4. El Paso

5. Playing In The Band

6. Wharf Rat

7. Playing In The Band

8. Morning Dew

CD 3:

1. Truckin’

2. Nobody’s Fault But Mine

3. Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad

4. One More Saturday Night

5. Uncle John’s Band

6. Truckin’

7. The Other One

8. Stella Blue

http://bit.ly/kdGiL4

That '73 Road Trips release was so damn good ... just gotta listen to some more stellar '73 Dead. How 'bout a 43min DARK STAR :/~

http://bit.ly/l6f71w

folder1.jpg

Grateful Dead – Raod Trips 2011 Bonus Disc

In early 2011, dead.net offered a subscription to the four Road Trips releases coming out that year. Subscribers would get a bonus disc to be released at the same time as Road Trips 4/3, which is being released May 1, 2011. The bonus disc cannot be purchased separately.

Recorded live at Cleveland Public Auditorium, Cleveland, OH (December 6, 1973)

All selections are previously unissued recordings

mp3@V0

Tracklist

1. Greatest Story Ever Told (5:42)

2. China Cat Sunflower > (9:18)

3. I Know You Rider (5:31)

4. Dark Star > (43:33)

5. Eyes of the World (14:03)

http://bit.ly/l6f71w