Jambands.ca

What are you listening to right now?

PassedOutGuy

I haven't been a big fan of most of Robbie's solo stuff, but after a couple of listens this collaboration with Clapton has got a bunch of keepers. Very enjoyable.

http://bit.ly/gxkMSR

cover.jpg

Robbie Robertson – How To Become Clairvoyant [Deluxe Edition]

If ever there was an album that was well worth a long wait, Robbie Robertson‘s fifth solo album is the one. Coming 13 years after his last album, Contact from the Underworld of Redboy, this new collection is called How to Become Clairvoyant — and it’s a clear reminder of Robertson’s musical prowess, which has been missing from our ears since 1998.

How to Become Clairvoyant is a collaboration with Eric Clapton. From the earliest stages of the creation of this music, Robbie and Eric worked closely, but without having much of a plan in place for where they were headed. As the years passed, those early ideas slowly grew into How To Become Clairvoyant. Robertson’s commitment to create the soundtrack for the Martin Scorsese’s movie Shutter Island slowed the proceedings down a little more, but that didn’t take anything away from what this new album would become. In fact, the break from recording sessions may have helped Robbie out by allowing him to step away from his new songs and later return to them with a fresh outlook.

In these final sessions, Robertson enhanced things with the assistance of a few friends. Guitarists Robert Randolph and Tom Morello (of Rage Against The Machine and Audioslave) were brought in, along with Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor, vocalist Angela McClusky (formerly of Wild Colonials), Taylor Goldsmith (from the band Dawes), Rocco Deluca and others. These talented guests add a sonic dimension to the basic tracks created by Robertson, Clapton, Steve Winwood, bassist Pino Palladino and drummer Ian Thomas.

Musically, How to Become Clairvoyant steps away from the Native American influence of Music for the Native Americans (Robertson’s 1994 album with the Red Road Ensemble) and Contact From The Underworld Of Redboy. This new collection has more in common with his first two solo albums, 1987′s Robbie Robertson and 1991′s journey to New Orleans, Storyville.

The result is an album that tells a personal, at times even autobiographical, story set to the type of sonically rich soundtrack that we have come to expect from Robbie Robertson’s solo work. But, for the first time, we get a glimpse inside the man that, for nearly the past forty-five years, has written some of popular music’s most important songs.

I guess it’s true that good things come to those who wait. – Darren Devivo

mp3@320

Tracklist

DISC 1:

01. Straight Down The Line

02. When The Night Was Young

03. He Don’t Live Here No More

04. The Right Mistake

05. This Is Where I Get Off

06. Fear of Falling

07. She’s Not Mine

08. Madame X

09. Axman

10. Won’t Be Back

11. How To Become Clairvoyant

12. Tango For Django

DISC 2:

01. The Right Mistake (Demo)

02. He Don’t Live Here No More (Demo)

03. Fear of Falling (Demo)

04. This Is Where I Get Off (Demo)

05. Madame X (Demo)

06. Houdini (unreleased track)

http://bit.ly/gxkMSR

If you ever get a chance to see Steve Earle live GO! He, along with his wife, are fantastic.

http://bit.ly/fUJrzc

folder.jpg

Steve Earle – I’ll Never Get Out of This World Alive

Steve Earle is set to release I’ll Never Get Out Of This World Alive on April 26th via New West Records. The album is the anticipated follow up to the Grammy Award winning 2009 release Townes. The 11-track set was produced by T Bone Burnett and is Earle’s first collection of original material since his 2007 Grammy Award winning, Washington Square Serenade. I’ll Never Get Out Of This World Alive will be available as a single compact disc, deluxe CD/DVD set, digitally, as well as 180 gram vinyl.

Writing for I’ll Never Get Out Of This World Alive began three years ago, the longest span of any song cycle in Steve Earle’s career. The first two compositions were “God Is God†and “I Am A Wanderer,†two songs written by Earle for Joan Baez’ 2008 album, Day After Tomorrow (which Earle also produced). The album also includes the celebrated song “This City,†written for the HBO Original Series, Treme, which Earle also appeared in as an actor. This year, Earle will be reprising his role of Harley during many episodes of Treme’s second season. “This City†features horn arrangements by Allen Toussaint and has garnered a Grammy Award Nomination in the Best Song Written for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media Category. Additionally, the song also garnered Earle’s first Emmy Award nomination in the Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics Category. I’ll Never Get Out Of This World Alive also features “Heaven or Hell,†a duet with Earle’s wife, the critically acclaimed singer-songwriter Allison Moorer.

“They are all, as far as I can tell, about mortality in one way or the other; death as a mystery rather than a punctuation mark or at least, a comma rather than a period,†Earle comments on the songs in the album liner notes.

After many years of touring solo and acoustically worldwide, Steve Earle will be touring in support of the album with his highly celebrated, electric live band The Dukes (and Duchesses) featuring Allison Moorer.

A protégé of legendary songwriters Townes Van Zandt and Guy Clark, Earle quickly became a master storyteller in his own right, with his songs being recorded by Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Emmylou Harris, Waylon Jennings, Travis Tritt, The Pretenders, Joan Baez and countless others. 1986 saw the release of his debut record, Guitar Town, which shot to number one on the country charts and immediately established the term “New Country.†What followed was an extremely exciting and varied array of releases including the biting hard rock of Copperhead Road (1988), the minimalist beauty of Train A Comin’ (1995), the politically charged masterpiece, Jerusalem (2002), and the Grammy Award Winning albums The Revolution Starts…Now (2004), Washington Square Serenade (2007) and Townes (2009). I’ll Never Get Out Of This World Alive is Steve Earle’s 14th Studio Album.

http://www.steveearle.com/

mp3@320

Tracklist

1. Waitin’ On The Sky

2. Little Emperor

3. The Gulf of Mexico

4. Molly – O

5. God is God

6. Meet Me In The Alleyway

7. Every Part of Me

8. Lonely Are The Free

9. Heaven or Hell (with Allison Moorer)

10. I Am A Wanderer

11. This City

http://bit.ly/fUJrzc

http://bit.ly/flgkjs

folder1.jpg

Miles Davis Quintet – The Unissued Japanese Concerts

Miles Davis toured Japan for the first time during July 1964 with a quintet that included saxophonist Sam Rivers, pianist Herbie Hancock, bassist Ron Carter and drummer Tony Williams. Although several Japanese concerts were booked, only three performances are known to have taken place: the well known July 14 show at Kohseinenkin Hall, in Tokyo (which was issued on LP), and the previously unissued July 12 & 15 concerts, presented on this set.

Both concerts appear here for the first time ever. No other recorded collaborations between Miles and Rivers exist apart from the three shows in Japan!

Miles had formed a completely new group in mid-1963, which was intended to replace the superb quintet with John Coltrane, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Jimmy Cobb. The new formation already included three of the members of what would be his second great quintet: Herbie Hancock on piano, Ron Carter on bass, and Tony Williams on drums. However, finding the right tenor saxophonist proved more difficult. The first choice was George Coleman but he didn’t fit the group. Tony Williams then recommended Sam Rivers, a fellow Bostonian, to Davis, and Rivers joined the Quintet in April.

There were some American dates before the Quintet left for a short Japanese tour, including performances at L.A.’s Shrine Auditorium (April 3) and New York’s Village Vanguard (May 7-12). According to Miles’ discographer Peter Losin, “although several Japanese concerts were booked, the Quintet apparently performed only three: Hibaya Yagai Ongaku-do Hall, Tokyo (July 12), Shinjuku Kohseinenkin Hall, Tokyo (July 14), and Maruyama Ongaku-do Hall, Kyoto (July 15)â€. Although the performances were certainly successful, Miles and Rivers didn’t get along very well. Rivers left the Quintet as soon as the group returned to the United States. Wayne Shorter was hired as his replacement, and joined the Quintet at the Hollywood Bowl on September 4. No other recordings by Miles Davis with Sam Rivers seem to exist outside the three 1964 concerts in Japan. The July 14 performance was issued on the LP Miles in Tokyo. This is the first time the two other performances appear on any format. – Jazz Messengers

mp3@320

Tracklist

Disc 1 – Tokyo, 12 July, 1964:

1. Autumm Leaves – 11:08

2. So What – 8:41

3. Stella By Starlight – 10:58

4. Walkin’ Into The Theme – 9:47

Disc 2 – Kyoto, 15 July, 1964:

1. If I Were a Bell – 10:44

2. Oleo – 5:22

3. Stella By Starlight – 8:56

4. Walkin’ – 7:21

5. All Of You – 10:11

6. Seven Steps To Heaven – 2:56

* Miles Davis – Trumpet

* Sam Rivers – Tenor Sax

* Herbie Hancock – Piano

* Ron Carter – Bass

* Tony Williams – Drums

http://bit.ly/flgkjs

I just logged on to post the links to this amazing album, "Two Men With The Blues" and there it is. Same link and review. This is just GOLD. Same goes with the Miles in Japan.

I've been enjoying the great scores on this blog for a while now. Some sweet stuff in there. The Roots of Led Zeppelin 3CD set for instance.

Cheers to the up-loader, and many many thanks to Willie and Wynton. So sweet.

http://bit.ly/gvU57F

folder2.jpg

Warren Haynes – Man In Motion

Gov’t Mule co-founder and Allman Brothers Band guitarist Warren Haynes will shows his roots as a soul man with the May 10 release of his fourth solo album, “Man in Motion†(Stax/Concord Music Group).

The 10-song set, recorded in Willie Nelson‘s Pedernales Studio near Austin, Texas, with regular cohort Gordie Johnson of Big Sugar co-producing, finds Haynes determinedly mining an R&B approach steeped in influences from Stax, Muscle Shoals and Memphis’ Hi Records.

“My first love was soul music,†Haynes tells Billboard.com. “The first sound I can remember having an effect on me was black gospel music coming over the radio in North Carolina. James Brown was my first musical hero, then the Four Tops and Temptations, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Sam & Dave. Somewhere along the way I heard Ray Charles and B.B. King.

“So (soul) has always been there for me, and I’ve waited a long time to really put that across on an album. I just thought it was time to make that sort of record.â€

In fact, Haynes says that some of the songs on “Man in Motion†date back quite a ways — 20 years for “Real Lonely Night,†and 10 for “Your Wildest Dreams.†“Through the years I compiled a few song that wanted to be captured this way,†Haynes notes. “I’d resigned myself to thinking someone else would wind up recording them other than myself, but then this project came about.†The album also includes a cover of Stax singer William Bell’s “Everyday Will Be Like a Holiday.â€

Haynes recorded “Man in Motion†with an all-star band that includes several New Orleans musicians — Meters bassist George Porter, Jr., keyboardist Ivan Neville and drummer Raymond Webber — as well as Austin-based keyboardist Ian McLagan, singer Ruthie Foster and tenor saxophonist Ron Holloway. “It was the exact band I wanted for the record. Everybody that was first on my list was available, and we made it work,†says Haynes, although he had not met McLagan before the sessions.

“Ian was a last minute add-on that Gordie suggested,†recalls Haynes, who played a variety of vintage hollow body guitars in addition to his usual Gibson Les Paul on the album. “He was thinking (McLagan) would add a cool vibe, like a soul-music version of the Garth Hudson-Richard Manual thing in the Band. And it freed me up to take more of a B.B. King role, singing and playing fills. I played a little more rhythm than, say B.B., but I wasn’t having to think that way all the time. We set up in the studio with everybody looking at each other and recorded live, which is what we love to do.â€

Haynes debuted the band at his annual Christmas Jam during December in Asheville, N.C., and he’s eyeballing a tour that will start in April, most likely in Australia, and run throughout the summer. Terrence Higgins will be on the drum stool, while Neville and Foster are up in the air at the moment.- Gary Graff

mp3@320

Tracklist

1. Man In Motion 7:52

2. River’s Gonna Rise 6:51

3. Everyday Will Be Like A Holiday 5:29

4. Sick Of My Shadow 6:57

5. Your Wildest Dreams 7:19

6. On A Real Lonely Night 7:38

7. Hattiesburg Hustle 6:33

8. A Friend To You 5:44

9. Take A Bullet 5:25

10. Save Me 6:15

http://bit.ly/gvU57F

One of the most amazing voices around:

http://bit.ly/hPWRui

2pr71x1.jpg

k.d. lang & the Siss Boom Bang – Sing it Loud [Deluxe Edition]

Consider the following evidence: k.d. lang titled her new album “Sing It Loud.†She dubbed the band that plays on it Siss Boom Bang. And she depicts herself on the cover yowling into a gigantic megaphone.

One might be forgiven, then, for expecting something raucous, keening and free from the actual music.

Long-toothed fans might also be forgiven for getting particularly excited about that. After all, 19 years have passed since lang muffled and slowed her sound, banishing her early bent for wild-eyed country songs, delivered with herculean vocals and a broad wink.

Starting with 1992′s “Ingenue,†lang restyled herself as a doe-eyed chanteuse, a sensualist with a flair for measure and intimacy. Overnight, she went from being Patsy Cline (as reanimated by Shirley Bassey) to Doris Day (crossed with Peggy Lee).

As it turns out, “Sing It Loud†only goes halfway toward reversing that trend. It starts with a song that sounds strikingly like something ripped from Roy Orbison’s back pages, a pop aria rippling with echo, bolero drums and a vocal that ricochets around the speakers.

The next few songs follow suit, recalling some of the early-’60s torch and twang of Lang’s classic “Shadowland†CD.

To nail that vibe, lang employed her first solid band since the days of the Reclines, 20 years ago. But by the title track, six cuts in, she’s contradicting their name, downshifting into her now familiar mode of languor.

Luckily, the result just proves lang can conjure real drama — and show off a robust voice — even when she plays it closer to the vest. The way she swoops into a phrase, conjuring a crane in flight, shows both grace and intensity. Gigantic notes ring out in even the most subtle songs, and the beauty of her tone means it never feels like a drone.

It helps that her softer material has genuine sensuality, filtered through flashes of country-folk. They’re overwhelmingly original pieces, penned with the new band, though lang did find room for a wonderful cover: David Byrne’s witty “Heaven,†to which she brings a tenderness he couldn’t hope to.

The years lang spent away from bravura material means that her relative return here stands out all the more. Fans will swoon most for “Sugar Buzz,†which boasts lang’s most wide-ranging stretch since the panoramic vocal on “Pullin’ Back the Reins.†Those greedy for more may consider this disk a tease. But it’s fairer to see it as a culmination, threading some of lang’s old fire through her current calm.- Jim Farber

mp3@320

Tracklist

1. I Confess

2. A Sleep with No Dreaming

3. The Water’s Edge

4. Perfect Word

5. Sugar Buzz

6. Sing it Loud

7. Inglewood

8. Habit of Mind

9. Heaven

10. Sorrow Nevermore