Jambands.ca

Conservative principles

Hux

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very conflicted this election as to whether I should be voting for my MP or voting for the party as a whole.

I've never liked the idea of voting for a party as a whole because I always liked the idea that my MP was my voice in the house of commons.

As I've gotten older though I've realized two things. One, for the most part MPs just tow the party line, so even if you voice is a voice of disagreement with their party, chances are good they'll ignore your voice and vote with the party. Two, for the most part, my day to day life in my riding is not affected by who is representing me federaly, but rather who is representing me provincially and locally.

I think this election I'm going to be voting for a party as supposed to an MP (cuz don't get me started on my NDP choice in my riding.. good grief), but something about that mindset really rubs me the wrong way. Oh well.. it's only politics eh :)

i used to always feel the same way tpg. in years past i've voted for jerry pickard of the liberal party who has always represented my riding well, until the ash borer situation. now the area is going under a massive deforestation effort. jerry dropped the ball on this one. so for the first time i'm voting for the party... not that if it boiled down to a vankesteren/comiskey popularity contest, i'd probably vote vankesteren. he's got a good heart and loves his trees, then again so does comiskey. *shrug*

Ottawa West-Nepean

Ah, ok. That's where I'll be voting too -- I didn't think that I liked Riviere too much, but have taken to her the more I hear her speak.

I like Farnworth's record, though, too. Would have liked to have seen her contested in the nominations however.

I think Lee farnworth is much better candidate than John Baird. Those are probably the two only real options you have in that riding. The NDP was very far behind for the last election.

well that's just it.. Marlene Rivier is so non-present she might as well just drop out now. I'm going to catch the local debates when Rogers runs them but I doubt they will really change my view on her.

I refuse to vote "strategically" though. I won't vote liberal because I fear the conservative candidate will win and the lierbal candidate has the best chance of beating them. I think that's irresposible voting.

As it comes down to it, I think John Baird has this riding all wrapped up. He was a very popular MPP and I think that popularity will carry him through this election.

I'd start looking for a place man.. as much as I don't want it to happen..

I also think Ottawa Centre is going to go to Richard Mahoney..

and though he totally rubs me like a used car salesman.. I have to say, when I was living in Hintonburg and we were marching the streets to push the crack dealers and pimps out of the neighborhood, though he wasn't our MP, nor was he up for election, he was at every single march.. so I have to say that about him.

and I don't care what he says.. it's pronounced ma-HO-nee not MA-ha-nee as he claims :)

Ottawa Centre is a fun one to watch.

Signs don't necessarily mean a lot, but I've found it interesting that in this part of that riding, at least, it looks like this:

- NDP signs: way more than any other

- Liberal & Green: about tied. Much fewer than NDP for either. Some of the few Liberal (Mahoney) signs that were up have been removed by the residents. I don't know if this means they've changed support, or are just embarassed to be supporting the Liberals.

- Conservative: none whatsoever

I think the Dewar name carries some weight here, plus, of course, the Broadbent rub. I also think some people are pissed off at Mahoney's use of an auto-dialer recorded message as a campaigning tool.

There is an all candidates debate tommorow night at the Glebe Community Centre, and one will be aired on Rogers Cable on Jan. 14th.

YOU BASTARD!! ha ha!!

as much as I have the "do what you want in your own home" kinda attitude.. it got really bad a couple of summers ago.

The guys across the street from us set up a crack take out window.. pretty inventive really. Made it really hard for anyone to catch them in the act because it was over and done with before you had the chance to figure out what was going on.

I'm still convinced that Hintonburg is a neighborhood to watch though.. it'll take a few years, but it's going to be worth a lot someday

“Nelson Mandela is a terrorist.â€

- Rob Anders

“Let's lower the age to ten.â€

- Conservative MP Myron Thompson, commenting on the age at which he believes one should be tried as an adult, at a Vernon, BC meeting.

and my favourite,

“I think every Christian's under an obligation to change laws to reflect biblical values. Different Christians are going to try to change different laws, according to the call God gives them. You see Christians in all political parties. That reflects different understandings of what God's call is to us. That's a healthy thing. If the yeast congregates in one part of the loaf, it makes for pretty bad bread."

-Conservative Candidate Darrel Reid former president of Focus on The Family Canada

I must have fallen out of some loop to have missed Mr. Reid's shift into the (more) public arena. Does this mean James Dobson for Procurator of the Canadian Territories, once they get the necessary tweaking of the maps over and done with?

[serious note]

Christian values? How about the "preferential option for the poor", per Vatican II? How about giving away all you have and adopting an attitude of humility and self-sacrifice? How about treating the least in society, the widows, the criminals, the orphans, etc. like you would Jesus himself? How about hanging out with prostitutes and barflies, and not rich fat bastards in $1000 suits? Fuck, you people in FotF piss me off.

[/serious note]

Anders is a hoot, always good for a quality quote.

"I'm giddy. I'm excited about being able to have a fundraiser down at a shooting range like that. I think it would be great ... I think it would be fun to get a bunch of city slickers out there and go into an indoor range and plow away at some targets... It's a perfect fit for an Alliance fundraiser. I can't picture NDPs or Liberals doing it. And I think some of them wouldn't even want to pick up a gun. This is great stuff. "

- Conservative MP Rob Anders on holding a fundraising rally at a shooting range, National Post, July 2nd 2003.

"What happens if a boatload [of immigrants] comes over from wherever and decides that they want to to cast ballots?"

- Rob Anders

"[Honouring Nelson Mendela is a] total political-correctness poster-boy thing... He was a Communist. He was a terrorist... The Liberals always deprive us unanimous consent on all sorts of provisions. They wouldn't allow us to honour the Duke of Edinburgh and the Queen with regard to their wedding anniversary..."

- Conservative MP Rob Anders, explaining why he voted against a resolution to make former South African president Nelson Mendela an honourary Canadian citizen, June 6th, 2001.

And, of course ...

"Rob is a true reformer and a true conservative. He has been a faithful supporter of mine and I am grateful for his work."

- Stephen Harper endorsing Calgary West Conservative MP Rob Anders

DEM -- what is Reid's less public manifestation? I'm guessing as an evangelist ... but google just keeps handing me an NFL player.

[edit:] oops, I read bad in a rush. You made it clear about the FotF thing.

Edited by Guest
I'm an idiot