Jambands.ca

Come together schedule

tigger

You guys all bum me out. (But hell, you know I"m one of those whiney sensitive types)... Maybe there should be a separate thread for all those who would rather go to an american festival, or replace our special (in my subtle opinion) grass-roots, community-oriented fest with one infused by large american acts...

Don't get me wrong, I'd obviously not be adverse to a different band joining the bill. I always enjoy that. But honestly I like supporting the talent that surrounds us. As NattyMatty said we are lucky to have it. Many places across our barren country do not. I like the fact that I "know" a vast portion of the attendees. I like the intimate bonfires that follow the show. I like the fact that most of us can cram into the saloon.

If anyone wants to make this festie "bigger and better" put your money where your mouth is and volunteer your time, and take some organizational initiative instead of just bitchin for bitchin's sake.

No wonder Canadian jambands have a rough go staying the course for the long-term...

Maybe this festie didn't jive with the tour schedules of other out-of-province CANADIAN jam bands this time. Maybe it will next time...

I don't know, maybe I"m just a little too dazed or complacent, but if I decide that a festival (or any event for that matter) is not for me. Whether it fails to grab my attention or whatnot, I just simply don't go. I personally don't feel the need to bring everyone else down around me. If other's enjoy it, then all the power to them.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to offer criticism. But maybe sometimes its better to just accept something for what it is, instead of continuing to try to make it into something that it is not. As much as some indviduals get sick of seeing the same names on the bill (which is fair enough), I also get sick of hearing the same old complaints. Get over it already. Either you dig that or you don't...

I like festivals big and small, and this one has concocted numerous memories that will last a lifetime for me. It plays a unique role amongst the sea of musical experiences that I will hopefully continue to experience. I enjoy the opportunity of running into all of you fine skanks that decide to attend. THere are many other alternatives if you are looking for something more intense. Simply seek them out and enjoy...

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize if my post bummed you out or anyone else for that matter...definately was not my intent! Don't get wrong here...I love the size of ctmf since I really enjoy a small festival aswell, all I was trying to say is there have been amazing line-ups in the past with the likes of the Slip/JFJO/SmokeStack(i think thats what their name is?) /Wassabi playin all night long... and the festival was still small and family like... I would just like to see the fest get back on that wave length.. just two cents...

You all know your gonna have fun...and should not get bummed out over some constructive critisisim...

peace

I'm with edger on this one. Everyone's got their own vision of what CTMF should be or should have been, but unless you're taking the time and effort to organize, book and promote it your negative views aren't needed(or wanted).I know I'm only in one of the "average local bands" but this IS a forum designed for professional and amateur bands alike(right, Bouche?).

Listen, I don't eat at McDonald's and then act surprised and complain why the food is greasy and unhealthy.I knew that a long time ago.

We played the first CTMF at the Hungarian Hall in Brantford in 1995-96 and I don't remember Wilson or anyone else promising a bigger better more professional festival.CTMF has just continued for the past decade.It's continued to exist BECAUSE it hasn't gotten too big for it's britches. Let's see if Evolve can exist for a decade or more.Those of you looking for something less 'local' or 'average' should go to one of the fests in the states. Hell you can get your ass searched at the border, wait in line in your car for a day or two at the show, buy some shitty dope, party with thousands of sketched out people you don't know. That leaves more room for those of us that are actually appreciating CTMF for what it is.It's just too bad some people thrive on being negative.But it makes me sick when they claim it's only opinion not negativity. This particular thread was titled "come together schedule" not "unhappy people step on up and bitch the same tired old bitch we bitch every spring, summer and fall." damn! I feel better now.

It seems that people are taking offense to others requests for a continued variance in the lineup.

I don't think people need things to explode around CTMF in terms of population, they just seem to want to see some different acts on the bill.

I can appreciate that. I liked when JFJO made it out, FreakBass, Lazlo Hollyfeld, they all made a contributon of newness to the fest.

They are not better bands, they are different bands and that's the appeal IMHO. It makes complete sense to me that if a person is going to make an effort to camp out for a weekend that they would want to see soemthing new.

The fest is great and Dieseldoug brings up a good point about it existing for so long because of its size control.

I don't think a lot of people around here are saying that bigger is better, they're saying some variety is better...it can only help.

I think it's important to realize that the bands times are being shuffled around a bit and we're seeing some new local acts and some acts moving from the saloon to the main stage so we are seeing a different festival in some lights.

Essentially I see both sides of these arguments and they are both valid. We saw them coexist @ Izzy's on May 24 last year as far as I see it.

Anywho, we do have some good stuff lined up and I hope to turn some people into sweating dancing freaks as we (WTTS) have our first (little bit later in the day/early evening set).

Cheers

Deeps

remember what your mother told you...if you don't have anything good to say.....

I think that applies specifically to forums such as these.I agree that variety is the spice of life but if you want change in this world you have to get off YOUR ass and do it yourself.Nobody has the right to complain about anything unless they're backing it up with action(even on jambands). The funny thing is that the people who consistantly have "opinions,tips,suggestions" every time the CTMF schedule comes out are the same people I've seen having a great time at past CTMF's.These are the people I believe should be backing up their opinions between fests and researching price and availability of all these other bands they want to see at CTMF.So to whomever this applies, get out from behind your PC and start making the MAY24 2007 CTMF more hip or evolvish or whatever.As you'll soon realize you can't keep everyone happy all the time.If you try to please the whole you'll find there'll be no CTMF at all, which is something I'm glad Mr.Wilson understands.

To all the people who have organized or helped organize CTMF in the past decade I say THANKS.Without it there would be nothing to bitch about around here ;)

I think the name Come Together Music Festival was meant to place emphasis on the tightness of the family of music lovers and musicians that gather every year.It's an honest, pure, real reason to COME TOGETHER.

Edited by Guest

well said deeps. iguess what i ment was i'd like to see some varity. i mean there really arn't any bands on the line up, that i'd feel like i should walk to the stage to see. thats probably because i've seen there overdone acts way to many times.

i'll probaly still show up, but it won't be for the music

im giving my opinions as a FAN someone that forks out the money that you make as a BAND that is preforming for the FANS...sure I'll get envolved to help the scene just to help the scene...but I think your forgeting that you leave the weekend with a wad of cash in your pocket and I leave the fest yes usually satisfied but with empty pockets...all I am asking for is some variety for what I am paying for.

That being said, I want to be clear that when I say variety it does not mean excluding DD/Caution Jam/Fat Cats since these are my fav staples of this fest and are the key bands that make me still want to go every may..since I love you guys to death!!! I just loved last may at izzys when there was that little bit more that made it very exciting!!!

peace out everyone and all the best... I know y'all will have a fucking blast as usual...the tight family vibe IS the best part forsure!!!

Edited by Guest

remember what your mother told

you...if you don't have anything good to say.....

I think that applies specifically to forums such as these.

You're mother didn't want people to say mean things to you. It's her protective nature, constructive criticsm is a good thing.

I agree that variety is the spice of life but if you want change in this world you have to get off YOUR ass and do it yourself. Nobody has the right to complain about anything unless they're backing it up with action(even on jambands).

I think mentioning an opinion in this forum is getting off of their asses to a degree. You can't just have everyone ra-ra-ra'ng everything. The voice of dissent may be the catalyst of change if festival organizers catch wind of this thread...maybe they'll go

[color:green]"ahh these assholes don't know what they're talking about"

In the end the people offering some criticsm will have been heard, and maybe it'll be the cause of action. so criticize away folks...but heed Doug's call below.

These are the people I believe should be backing up their opinions between fests and researching price and availability of all these other bands they want to see at CTMF.

Totally agree. Call the bands get a minimum out of them, call Mr Wilson and say

[color:green]"hey man so-and-so-superband would be into the fest if you can hook them up with $x check their music out...I'd love to see them become a part of your festival."

If he says he's not into the tunes...well you gotta drop it....if he say he can't due to the price...get a new price and go back to the band to try and broker something. Make it happen. NewRider....lookingin your direction...we need your ass man.

This is a great point Doug has made here and I hope someone takes it seriously. Being proactive is so much more fruitful than being reactive when the sched comes out.

Come Together....right now.....over US bitches...I'm gonna suck the marrow outta Labour Day.

wads of cash? It's more like neugroove said. I can't count how many of these fests musicians have done for free. Not to mention the times that it cost me money personally to play and do sound. This is part of the reason it pisses me off to hear complaints when we all know talk is cheap and requires little effort.

I find it so hard to believe that people are actually complaining about an event that brings so much joy to everyones spring, summer and fall.

Crazy.

I know one thing that is really going to piss people off...it's when this festival doesn't happen anymore. That will be a real bummer.

If not for the music, come for the people. Best damn group I've ever partied with. Can't wait to bend it.

See you at the show.

Tent protection from rain.

No power outage.

Cool forest surrounding the ghost town.

A Fucking Ghost Town!!!

Music music music.

Loud music, soft music, 2 stages of music, a saloon for music.

Drugs, booze, tents, laughin, dancing.

Campfires.

Getting to hang out with musicians and music lovers.

Great sound.

Knowing and trusting your sound guys.

All debate aside this place has a tonne going for it and I wish it even longer in the longevity longness.

Cheers and one week to go...tell your friends.

Those who want a bigger fest careful what you wish for. Size kills. Personally I like that CTMF has stayed the same. Low key, no hassles and lots of fun. I'll take a small fun hassle-free fest anyday over the big ones.

I can appreciate people asking for variety, no harm there. However, some people need to be careful with their words and tone as they disrespect good folk who come out and give it their best. They do this because they because they love music and dig the scene, certainley not for money.

I personally always dig the music. Ya I see a good deal of these bands, but that is because I LIKE them and a few I LOVE. I'm glad that a couple of times a year I get to see some of my favorite bands under the stars with good friends. It is what it is and I'm grateful.

I find it so hard to believe that people are actually complaining about an event that brings so much joy to everyones spring, summer and fall.

Crazy.

I know one thing that is really going to piss people off...it's when this festival doesn't happen anymore. That will be a real bummer.

If not for the music, come for the people. Best damn group I've ever partied with. Can't wait to bend it.

See you at the show.

Well said Josh ... I love your positive energy, and I'm still blown away when I think of the community of people that comes together at this grassroots festival, at other shows, and on this message board. I vow to myself that I will never take all of this for granted.

Don't get me wrong ... I'd love it if there was a big festival in my backyard featuring bands that I'm willing to travel hours and hours for. But that's not what the Come Together festival is about.

I just got back from a big U.S. festival (Gathering of the Vibes), and it was great. I had an awesome time. But I didn't have a better time than I do at at Come Together Fest. They are different events, and both are magical in their own way.

No worries on this end about people expressing their views and criticisms about the Come Together Festival, or about most anything. It's a discussion board, and sometimes criticism and complaining leads to healthy discussion. But it's understandable that some of criticism hurts. It hurts me to read it sometimes. Music is so important to us all ... just think about how important it is to the artist who is making it. Now imagine if somebody criticizes the thing that is most important to you. Ouch. Having said that, it's ok to criticize and offer suggestions. Just a friendly reminder to do so gently and constructively.

As for people complaining that the Come Together Festival is featuring local Canadian jambands ... that's what it's all about ... at least I think so. I think it's ok to have a festival that features our local favourites. Moe.down features moe., Hookahville feature Ekoostik Hookah, etc. If we don't celebrate with the bands that are part of this community, then when will they get the recognition and support that they deserve?

Ok, end of my babble. And I'm out of here for a week, getting back to nature with my family. I'll see some of you next weekend at Frontier Town ... lookin' forward to one last summer blast!

Peace, Mark

Interesting thread, though like a bunch of people have pointed out, it's pretty much like a number of other pre-CTMF threads. I like to think it's just a regularly scheduled winge that precedes the having of a great time.

It's a bit apples-and-oranges, but I know we'll never go to Hillside again because it got too big. I think precisely the thing that gives the CTMF its charm is its intimacy, and I can't remember a time when people came away not having been surprised by bands they hadn't known or hadn't yet given the time of day for. And as for the "regulars", these bands not only play their asses off (and blow our heads off) consistently, but evolve in unpredictable ways, with all the familiarity of the home accent. That's a rare thing, imo, to be able to witness, especially in the company of such good people.

That said, enjoy!

i see 5 ands that actually deserve to be playing at a festival. the rest of then should just stay in the garage / crappy bars they come from.

i don't understand how in all the history of the fest they can't do any better. look how far evolve has come, and I'm pretty sure ctmf has been around longer

your a jackass. look how evolve has come!!!! they lost money every year including a $50,000 + lost this year, witch could put a end to any festival.

shoreline lost $60,000+ this year. going big in canada is a mistake.

if you ask me Mark's got a good thing, that will out last the fans.

Edited by Guest

Well, I know I've been looking forward to this festival for the whole year, cause of being away and such. I think we really don't know how lucky we are to have such an awesome festival every year. I really don't care who plays cause I love all the bands that play! I don't care if I've seen them a million times :) Yeah maybe there won't be as many people there as the past years but I'm gunna go and have a good time DAMMIT! and i'm sure there's at least a few more people out there that go just to enjoy getting away and hanging out with old friends :D

I know it's already been said but I am kinda bummed out about the negative tone of this thread...everyone's always talking about 'supporting the scene' and I think being positive is the best and easiest way we can all keep things moving!

There's less than a week until the festival! :)

See U guys there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah

Hey Sarah,

I'm glad to hear that you are coming!! I still haven't seen you yet since your return to Hamilton. It has been way too long since we've shared the same dance "floor" (patch of earth... whatever)...

Anyhow, I have no doubt that there will be plenty of good vibes to grab a hold of....

Just gotta poke around...