Jambands.ca

Have any Live GD from 1964 in San Fran?

StoneMtn

I know someone who saw the Grateful Dead in San Francisco in 1964. That was the first time he had heard of the band, and was the last time he ever saw them play.

I know it's a long-shot, because even if this was recorded I suspect that the GD played many shows in Frisco that year, but I am trying to locate a copy of that show for him.

Does anyone have any live Grateful Dead from San Francisco in 1964?

I just came across this in my book about the naming of the band.. Just thought some of you might find it entertaining.. Sure made me smile!

On November 12, a cold gray windy day, the four of them gathered at Lesh's house on High Street. Garcia had smoked DMT before coming over, but the others were sober. Garcia and Lesh sat on the couch as Weir and Kreutzmann hovered behind them. They paged through a Bartlett's, read out a thousand possibilities, rejected them all. Then Garcia opened Phil's girlfriend Ruth's Funk and Wagnall's New Practical Standard Dictionary (1956), shook it open, and stabbed it with his finger. "Everything else on the page went blank," he later said, "diffuse, just sorta oozed away, and there was GRATEFUL DEAD, big black letters edged all around in gold, man, blasting out at me, such a stunning combination." "Hey, man. How about the Grateful Dead?" Lesh began to jump up and down, shouting, "That's it! That's it!" Weir didn't like it, thinking it morbid. "It held us back for years and years," he would say much later. As soon as he thought about it, even Garcia found it "kinda creepy." Hanging out at Swain's Music Store, Jerry asked Evie, a clerk there, how to spell "grateful." "However you spell it," she sniffed, "you'll never make it with that name."

Ya. I was aware of the name and all that. I found it odd that he called them the Grateful Dead from back then, and I told him they were likely called The Warlocks. I suspect he may have filled in the name since then, though, given that they called themselves the Grateful Dead from then until about the early-90s when they brought back "The Warlocks" for a few weird shows.

Sooooo ... fine. Does anyone have any The Warlocks from 1964 in San Francisco?

would say the easiest place to locate such a show would be on here - Lossless Legs

traders community specializing in all things Grateful Dead (amongst related bands)... membership is free and uncomplicated

I can vouche for LL. Its a great torrent site if you want anything Jerry/Dead related. These are the first 10 shows listed as seeded in the LLDB for the Grateful Dead in blue . The first ten for Jerry are red. No shows listed for MMUJC or The Warlocks.

[color:blue]1. 11/03/65 Golden State Studios - San Francisco, CA 1 CDR notes

2. 02/25/66 Ivar Theater - Los Angeles, CA 1 CDR notes

3. 03/19/66 Carthay Studios - Los Angeles, CA 1 CDR notes

4. 03/25/66 Trouper's Hall - Los Angeles, CA 1 CDR notes

5. 05/19/66 Avalon Ballroom - San Francisco, CA 1 CDR notes

6. 06/??/66 Scorpio Studio Outtakes - San Francisco, CA 1 CDR notes

7. 07/01/66 Unknown (perhaps Fillmore Auditorium) - San Francisco, CA 1 CDR notes

8. 07/03/66 Fillmore Auditorium - San Francisco, CA 1 CDR notes

9. 07/16/66 Fillmore Auditorium - San Francisco, CA 2 CDR notes

10. 07/17/66 Fillmore Auditorium - San Francisco, CA 1 CDR notes

[color:red]Garcia

Date Venue - City, State Media

1. ??/??/39 Pre Warlocks 8 Disc Compilation - Compilation, Compilation 8 CDR notes

2. 07/??/61 The Carlos Bookstall - San Carlos, CA 1 CDR notes

3. 06/11/62 Jewish Community Center - San Carlos, CA 1 CDR notes

4. 02/23/63 Top of the Tangent - Palo Alto, CA 1 CDR notes

5. 05/04/63 The Tangent - Palo Alto, CA 1 CDR notes

6. 03/06/64 Unknown - Unknown, CA 1 CDR notes

7. 07/??/64 The Tangent - Palo Alto, CA 1 CDR notes

8. ??/??/64 Unknown Venue - Palo Alto, CA 1 CDR notes

9. ??/??/64 Boar's Head - Palo Alto, CA 1 CDR notes

10. 05/21/68 Carousel Ballroom (Tuesday Night Jam) - San Francisco, CA 1 CDR notes

11. 05/21/68 Carousel Ballroom (Tuesday Night Jam) - San Francisco, CA