Jambands.ca

Sirius Satellite Grateful Dead Radio Channel

Kanada Kev

Howard on satellite means they can say fuck all they want...and they do.

They just had a hot chick in the studio that sent in a letter that said she found Artie attractive and that she likes to sleep with fat guys.

Artie's handling of the situation was HILARIOUS! He was so mean. He was blaming it on his hangover.

Oh yeah, I can listen to it over the internet at work with my subscription. Love that feature!

You know what? I find Stern LESS raunchy than he was 10 years ago when I listened to him a lot.

Sure he can swear on satelitte, but the content isn't quite as perverse as it once was. They can go entire segments without a slut showing her tits or poking fun at someone's disability. That all still happens in every show mind you, but there are some more mature conversations as well.

Howard's funny, but I'm not sure I'd want to hang out with him. He comes across to me as being judgemental and ignorant. I know it's made him a lot of money and I find it entertaining, but I don't respect him.

Artie's handling of the situation was HILARIOUS! He was so mean.

?????

wow, paying a company who makes a mulit-millionaire of a guy who swears, is mean , and makes fun of the disabled... would never support that, sarcasm or not. there are better ways to create intelligent debate/conversation. as for the 'stick in the mud', lighten-up counter-arguement, which might come up, save your keystrokes cause i think its b.s. .

too bad as i think 24-7 GD is awesome.

easy now. let's see some examples.

When I hear him call Eric "the Midget" an arrogant prick, it's because Eric The Midget is being a complete asshole to him. Howard's not calling Eric, Eric is calling Howard and giving HIM a hard time.

wow, paying a company who makes a mulit-millionaire of a guy who swears, is mean , and makes fun of the disabled... would never support that, sarcasm or not. there are better ways to create intelligent debate/conversation.

so, you dont own a tv then, eh? or, go to movies? or, buy CDs? making fun of things /people /places is ubiquitous. ever laughed at a dumb blond joke? mocking is a benchmark of "humour". and the construction of humour is delicate and contextual. plainly saying that a joke is wrong because it makes fun of something or drops the F-bomb or has an edge, ignores that delicate context, and is too black and white, i think. every single word ever spoken could potentially be contrued as offensive by someone somewhere.

im not saying that you are wrong. in fact, i would have backed you 110% a few years ago before I heard stern. but, after having listened for a few years, its become clear that the intelligent debate/conversation on his show far outweighs what some people, in some places, at some times, consider offensive.

I don't consider Stern offensive. I used to listen all the time when he was on Q107. I thought that large portions of the show were hilarious, or at the very least entertaining. I did get very bored with the sex stuff. It was kind of creepy and degrading to the people on the show, but that isn't why I didn't like it, I just found it totally boring.

A 24 hour Dead station is a great idea also.

The reason I don't think Sirius will last though is the fact that although they have x-number of stations they are all funded by the same network. With no room for anything that is not owned by that network. It would be like ordering a cable tv service where you only got CTV, CTVNewsNet, TSN and their other affiliates. It appears to be more diverse but there is no place in it for competition. No place for independent stations or even other huge media conglomerates. In the long run this makes this whole idea very displeasing to me.

i cant disagree with anything you say here. :D and i can totally relate to your views on howard. i guess i just find the show to be funny and interesting.

one possible outcome of the proposed sirius-xm merger is that it will lead to many more, and different, channels. sirius-xm will become the singular infrastructure of satellite radio, and offer both its own programming as well as third party content. kinda the way cable tv or digital tv works now. you can buy what you want. essentially, it all just becomes a private, pay-for-service, customizable radio system. the big issue will be whether people are willing to pay 50 cents a day to listen to canadian sports talk, for example, or whatever. for now, i think its worth the $15/mth to not have to listen to all the commercials, and to have at least 15 stations to which I can turn and probably hear something I really like. i think it might even be better bang for buck than buying and listening to CDs in the car. is it worth it for non-commuters? dunno, maybe not.

The reason I don't think Sirius will last though is the fact that although they have x-number of stations they are all funded by the same network....but there is no place in it for competition.

Yeah, that's a sure fire way to NOT be successful. No competition will sure kill off a service. :crazy:

No place for independent stations

Ever hear of podcasts? The internet is LOADED with independant stations.

Maybe I am spoiled by being part of one of the best independant radio stations in Canada, but the political, musical and local cultural content that we offer could in no way be duplicated on such a network.

I see it as kind of a Conrad Black or Asner sort of situation (whatever the owner of said media wants to be aired is all that will be) where differing opinions and musical tastes will not be included unless they conform to the executives ideals or are seen as finacially profitable.

wow' date=' paying a company who makes a mulit-millionaire of a guy who [u']swears, is mean , and makes fun of the disabled... would never support that, sarcasm or not. there are better ways to create intelligent debate/conversation.

so, you dont own a tv then, eh? or, go to movies? or, buy CDs? making fun of things /people /places is ubiquitous. ever laughed at a dumb blond joke? mocking is a benchmark of "humour". and the construction of humour is delicate and contextual. plainly saying that a joke is wrong because it makes fun of something or drops the F-bomb or has an edge, ignores that delicate context, and is too black and white, i think. every single word ever spoken could potentially be contrued as offensive by someone somewhere.

im not saying that you are wrong. in fact, i would have backed you 110% a few years ago before I heard stern. but, after having listened for a few years, its become clear that the intelligent debate/conversation on his show far outweighs what some people, in some places, at some times, consider offensive.

i do own a tv (no cable though), i do go the movies and i do buy cds. 'mocking' is a benchmark of humor? is it a good benchmark? i dont know. i think it really depends. so as my arguement came off as 'black and white'i want you to know there is a touch of grey i do see.

essentially like kanada kev said above, the 'smart consumer' or i would say 'the consumer who questions' is a rare breed. so when you are cracking jokes to such a large audience, what is the potential to impact thoughts ( the source of action)? this is best judged, i think if you know the audience thats listenig ie. a room with yourself and a couple of friends vs. half of america.

i for sure see your point, but the world we live in stems from somewhere. half the time it just seems like people are just playing a big game of simon says, with big brother and big business leading the way o in the erosion of decency. does someone like stern add to this? it is definitely debatable.....

camp changed my life. i worked at an easter seal camp in b.c. and it was a place that sparkled with positivity and creativity and love. it was beautiful. i say this as i feel in a way i've seen what the world could be like from the microcosm i was fortunate enought to live in. if stern's commments were said in that environment they would be met with shock. i realize they are not said in that environment but i still wonder why we are not shocked? would people of been shocked fifty even twenty years ago? i think yes, and i dont see this shift as positive.

i commit my fair share of 'offences' . i struggle to keep faith, hope and love alive in my 'real' life, much the same as probably a lot of people on this board. when i give it lots of thought, a good chunk of my faith is kindled by the spirit of children. hence i cannot help but question what impact huge media influences have on not only us but those who will be there after us.

as you say humor is delicate, and i'm sure stern has kept hope alive for a number of his listenrs, brightened their day and hence maybe somebody elses. but the delicacy of certain types of humor also unfortunately lends itself to stereotypes, complacency and for sure a differnt, maybe better, maybe worse, world.