Jambands.ca

Sirius Satellite Grateful Dead Radio Channel

Kanada Kev

http://www.pr-inside.com/sirius-satellite-radio-and-grateful-dead-r131015.htm

Sirius Satellite Radio and Grateful Dead to Create Grateful Dead Radio Channel

2007-05-22 14:36:40 -

NEW YORK, May 22 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- SIRIUS Satellite Radio and the legendary Grateful Dead announced today a new radio channel dedicated to the music of Grateful Dead and its band members.

Grateful Dead Radio will be heard exclusively on SIRIUS and feature music spanning the band's long and storied career, live performances from the band's own archives, bootleg performances from fans, previously unreleased recordings, and even special shows hosted by members of the band. Grateful Dead Radio is expected to launch on SIRIUS this summer.

"We have fans who've driven hundreds of miles to see us," said Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart. "Now you can save on greenhouse gas emissions with SIRIUS without driving a mile."

"Grateful Dead's importance in the history of rock n' roll is undeniable. In the 60s they helped to define a generation with their music and their creativity, in the 70s they virtually pioneered the concept of 'jam bands,' and in the 80s and 90s they were among the preeminent live touring bands. They have continued to amass a significant and extremely loyal fan base to this very day," said Scott Greenstein, President, Entertainment and Sports, SIRIUS. "This unique musical relationship makes SIRIUS the premier home for Dead Heads across North America and Grateful Dead Radio will bring the band's music into the future of audio entertainment."

"Listen up, and listen good," said Grateful Dead guitarist Bob Weir.

Grateful Dead started a musical revolution in the psychedelic landscape of the 60s. The band, well known for constantly touring, kept the hippy spirit alive during the following decades, creating a devoted community of fans. Grateful Dead's numerous studio recordings were often collected from material that they originally played in concert.

Grateful Dead Radio joins a line up 24-hour, commercial-free music channels dedicated entirely to some of the world's greatest recording artists such as Elvis Radio, channel 13, the world's only official, all-Elvis Presley radio channel broadcasting live from Graceland in Memphis. SIRIUS has previously dedicated channels exclusively to the music of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Rolling Stones, David Gilmour and Pink Floyd, George Strait, and most recently The Who. SIRIUS is also the exclusive radio home of Shade 45, channel 45, the uncut hip-hop channel co-created with Eminem, "Little Steven" Van Zandt's Underground Garage, channel 25, Jimmy Buffett's Radio Margaritaville, channel 31, and Siriusly Sinatra, channel 75, the only channel dedicated to the music, time and spirit of Frank Sinatra.

To learn more about SIRIUS, please visit http://www.sirius.com/.'>http://www.sirius.com/.

About SIRIUS

SIRIUS, "The Best Radio on Radio," delivers more than 130 channels of the best programming in all of radio. SIRIUS is the original and only home of 100% commercial free music channels in satellite radio, offering 69 music channels. SIRIUS also delivers 65 channels of sports, news, talk, entertainment, traffic, weather and data. SIRIUS is the Official Satellite Radio Partner of the NFL, NASCAR, NBA and NHL, and broadcasts live play-by- play games of the NFL, NBA and NHL, as well as live NASCAR races. All SIRIUS programming is available for a monthly subscription fee of only $12.95.

SIRIUS Internet Radio (SIR) is a CD-quality, Internet-only version of the SIRIUS radio service, without the use of a radio, for the monthly subscription fee of $12.95. SIR delivers more than 75 channels of talk, entertainment, sports, and 100% commercial free music.

SIRIUS products for the car, truck, home, RV and boat are available in more than 25,000 retail locations, including Best Buy, Circuit City, Crutchfield, Costco, Target, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, RadioShack and at shop.sirius.com.

SIRIUS radios are offered in vehicles from Audi, Bentley, BMW, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Infiniti, Jaguar, Jeep®, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mercury, Maybach, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, MINI, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Rolls Royce, Scion, Toyota, Volkswagen, and Volvo. Hertz also offers SIRIUS in its rental cars at major locations around the country.

Click on http://www.sirius.com/ to listen to SIRIUS live, or to purchase a SIRIUS radio and subscription.

Any statements that express, or involve discussions as to, expectations, beliefs, plans, objectives, assumptions, future events or performance with respect to SIRIUS Satellite Radio Inc. are not historical facts and may be forward-looking and, accordingly, such statements involve estimates, assumptions and uncertainties which could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed in any forward-looking statements. Accordingly, any such statements are qualified in their entirety by reference to the factors discussed in our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2006 filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Among the significant factors that could cause our actual results to differ materially from those expressed are: our pending merger with XM Satellite Radio Holdings, Inc. ("XM"), including related uncertainties and risks and the impact on our business if the merger is not completed; any events which affect the useful life of our satellites; our dependence upon third parties, including manufacturers of SIRIUS radios, retailers, automakers and programming providers; and our competitive position versus other audio entertainment providers.

P-SIRI

MEDIA CONTACT

Sal Resendez

SIRIUS

sresendez@siriusradio.com

646 313 2405

Photo: NewsCom: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/19991118/NYTH125

AP Archive: http://photoarchive.ap.org/

PRN Photo Desk, photodesk@prnewswire.com

Source: SIRIUS Satellite Radio

##

Press release: www.pr-inside.com

Kontaktinformation: e-mail

"We have fans who've driven hundreds of miles to see us," said Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart. "Now you can save on greenhouse gas emissions with SIRIUS without driving a mile."

that is an IDIOTIC thing to say. 1st of all, how is anyone SAVING on greenhouse gas emissions when the Grateful Dead have been dead since 95? Also, many people can ONLY listen to Sirius satellite radio in their cars. That isn't saving on emissions either.

Mickey is absolutely retarded...or drunk.

that is an IDIOTIC thing to say......

Mickey is absolutely retarded...or drunk.

::Waiting patiently for Mickey's "Lick my balls" post::

how's that Jaimoe? Sirius is gaining subscribers and good press. I haven't seen any bad news for the service.

I hope it sticks around. Until now, I haven't enjoyed listening to radio in 20 years.

They merged with their rival after only a couple of years. Neither service was turning a profit. Giving Stern a monster deal ensured gave satellite radio immediate credibility, but it also put them in a hole profit-wise. I think SIRIUS will make it, but it may take awhile.

how's that Jaimoe? Sirius is gaining subscribers and good press. I haven't seen any bad news for the service.

I hope it sticks around. Until now' date=' I haven't enjoyed listening to radio in 20 years.[/quote']

They merged with their rival after only a couple of years. Neither service was turning a profit. Giving Stern a monster deal ensured gave satellite radio immediate credibility, but it also put them in a hole profit-wise. I think SIRIUS will make it, but it may take awhile.

Didn't Stern just get a GIANT bonus cheque because Sirrius out performed their expectations?

Anyway,The GD channel is a really cool idea.

AD, not everyone has time to download a bunch of shows and put them on CD. CD's are obsolete anyway. I've been dying to pernamently chuck (or at least store away) all my CD's.

I'm hooked on Stern's show. He's making me listen to LESS music. I like to laugh more than bop my head I guess.

I used to listen religiously to his show when it was on Q107 and a Buffalo station. Does he still do a news segment, or is it all raunch?

I used to listen religiously to his show when it was on Q107 and a Buffalo station. Does he still do a news segment, or is it all raunch?

you couldn't have been listening too religiously if u think it could possibly be all raunch. raunch is only part of what stern does. a small part. :P

as for sirius "giving" stern the bonus, he earned it as part of his contract by signing up more than expected subscribers. and of course, sirius and xm are losing money - infrastucture costs are enormous at this stage of this new technology, especially since they operate two completely different systems. infrastructure costs were huge for cable too - ted rogers went a billion dollars in the hole in the 80's laying cable, and now look at him - he owns the Blue Jays and the ScroDome. same with RIM. satellite radio is the future, its just still gonna take a few years before its mainstream.

im looking forward to howard on the way in and the dead on the way home soon. :D

raunch is only part of what stern does. a small part.

the raunch and the news are my lease favorite, the best is when they all talk about each other and start rippin on one another... f jackie :P

a good friend of mine puts his satelite feed through his computer capturing/editing and cataloging all the shows and broadcasts it out to a few of us via an IP address we can stream or d/l...

long live stern!

Edited by Guest

I don't subscribe and won't.

why not? is it the cost? do you pay for cable tv? same thing, in my mind. i have no doubt that if someone gave you a sirius radio for free for a year, you'd end up loving it.

I mentioned "raunch" believing he's gone that way since he left commercial radio.

a lot of people think that. far from it, tho'.

that's the thing about stern. give him 10 minutes and you are disgusted. give him a week and you are a fan. there's a lot of very intelligent and provocative chat in between the titties and beer. im a bit surprised that you listened for so long and yet you have no desire to start listening again. its so much better now.

I had one for a year and won't ever subscribe again unless for a month if I am going on a major road trip.

I found it to be as limited in its scope as far as playlists as normal radio, I hate Steph and the Mule because of Sirius, and I don't need 20 variations on a classic rock station.

Hated it after about 2 months.

Not to mention that they billed my mothers credit card without confirmation for a second year of service (the first one was a gift) without asking anyone.

I don't subscribe and won't.

why not? is it the cost? do you pay for cable tv? same thing' date=' in my mind. i have no doubt that if someone gave you a sirius radio for free for a year, you'd end up loving it.

[/quote']

I'd only subscribe if all talk radio including the CBC went over to Sirius. I don't listen to music to the degree that most on this website do. Talk radio, especially sports radio with a Canadian slant, is what I turn on every day.