Jambands.ca

Man dies after Smashing Pumpkins concert in possible mosh accident

StoneMtn

It's all in good fun, but you have to know you're taking a risk when you go in.

but that's the thing ... more often than not, the mosh pit spontaneously emerges. it's not something that you go in to. ive been to a number of shows over the last few years where the band has either stopped playing, or has scolded the crowd for moshing. buzzkill? maybe. but it ensures the safety of those sweet pretty things that camped out all night to get up close. if I was a sweet pretty thing, the last thing I'd want is a big smelly guy shoving his way up next to me so he can slam his wasted friend's head with a beer can and then have him turn to me and burp "what's your problem, honey"?.

Well, it also depends what show you're at. I received a black eye at a Forgotten Rebels show. I was kicked in the head at a Public Image Limited show. These are the bands and shows where slam-dancing (later called) thrashing (later called) moshing was born. I would have had to be a moron not to expect it.

Does a mosh pit belong at a Smashing Pumpkins concert? To me, I'd say no, because they're just a pop-band, but if you get into a mosh pit at a Slayer show, that's foreseeable.

I should also point out, though, that when these were only happening at punk/hardcore/thrash-metal shows, the crowd was generally way more respectful, and if you ever ended up on your ass, some huge guy would throw you right back up onto your feet, so you had a fighting chance.

(Do I have a point here? I don't know.)

ive been to a number of shows over the last few years where the band has either stopped playing, or has scolded the crowd for moshing. buzzkill? maybe. but it ensures the safety of those sweet pretty things that camped out all night to get up close. if I was a sweet pretty thing, the last thing I'd want is a big smelly guy shoving his way up next to me so he can slam his wasted friend's head with a beer can and then have him turn to me and burp "what's your problem, honey"?.

Girls in the mosh pit is pretty much the norm these days and they can be just as dangerous as the guys.

I was addicted to mosh pits and crowd surfing! I'm glad I grew out of it.. I would have been confined to a wheelchair by now.

The worst was Nirvana in '93. I could not believe how rough it was! Most intense mosh pit I've been in, by far! Kurt only fueled theh insanity with his angry, miserable stage presence. Like StnMtn said, big army boots in the head don't tickle! The only relief was to actually crowd surf or get the hell out of there altogether! After maybe half an hour I bailed outta there, albeit with a bloody nose and I think a mild concusion. Not fun on acid.

I would really like to hear a follow up on the Smashing Pumpkins guy and find out what the actual cause of his death was. I have a feeling moshing had nothing to do with it.

Well, it also depends what show you're at. I received a black eye at a Forgotten Rebels show. I was kicked in the head at a Public Image Limited show. These are the bands and shows where slam-dancing (later called) thrashing (later called) moshing was born. I would have had to be a moron not to expect it.

Does a mosh pit belong at a Smashing Pumpkins concert? To me, I'd say no, because they're just a pop-band, but if you get into a mosh pit at a Slayer show, that's foreseeable.

I should also point out, though, that when these were only happening at punk/hardcore/thrash-metal shows, the crowd was generally way more respectful, and if you ever ended up on your ass, some huge guy would throw you right back up onto your feet, so you had a fighting chance.

(Do I have a point here? I don't know.)

definitely have a point I'd say... old hardcore show mosh pits you'd have very physical, very tuned in people all around you attempting to keep people from going down hard and helping them up quick when they went down... had a wrist fractured at a forgotten rebels show too, but it was by a big jock who was trying to hurt everyone around him (had a look on his face like "you idiots don't know how to tackle!", didn't seem to be able to figure out that we weren't playing football)

I've felt perfectly safe in lots of old school mosh pits... great exercise for the body and the reflexes

I've felt perfectly safe in lots of old school mosh pits... great exercise for the body and the reflexes

A really good mosh pit is one of the few primal experiences we can enjoy without actually getting into a fight. I was happy to see the circle pit make a bit of a come back at some shows this year.

Crazy shit. Sad news to read.

I was happy to see the circle pit make a bit of a come back at some shows this year.

Really? Cool. Thats really the only type of moshin' I ever did, I think I had retired by the time it got to what it is now-a-days.

Best circle pit I was ever in was probally GBH and The Accused at the Diamond Club (now Phoenix) back in the mid eighties. I did take a couple boots to the body, but it certianly wasn't intentional. Those were the days (like Paisley mentioned) where folks would try and help you as quick as possible.. fun times.

No clues in Pumpkins concert death

By THE CANADIAN PRESS

VANCOUVER - An autopsy turned up no obvious answers to the question of how a young man died at a Vancouver concert this week.

The 20-year-old was dragged unconscious from the crowd at a Smashing Pumpkins' show at the PNE Forum on Monday.

Vancouver regional coroner Owen Court says an autopsy this morning failed to show any trauma or injury to the young man that could have killed him.

There have been conflicting reports from the concert about whether or not the man had been moshing and crowd-surfing the minutes before he died.

Court says there were also no physical signs of drug or alcohol use or a pre-existing disease.

Toxicology tests will be the next step to determine the man's cause of death and those results aren't expected for at least three weeks.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2007/09/25/4526179-cp.html