Jambands.ca

Music and Math

bouche

Connections between Music and Mathematics

I first saw the connections to math when I found out that the octaves on your guitar string were exactly at 1/2 half of the string length. Half of the entire string length is your first half, then half-way up from that point and the end of the string (if you could finger it) is another octave. Each note is a similar fraction of the length of the string. Obviously that directly relates to the wavelength produced.

It is quite interesting. On my last (broke) visit to Chapters I found an amazing book on the relation of Sacred Geometry and musical scales but had to just glance through it and put it back on the shelf. Anyways heres a couple others for those that are interested:

Music of the Spheres (also the name of Mike Oldfields latest album):

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080417142454.htm

080417142454-large.jpg

Geometry of Music:

http://blog.sciencenews.org/mathtrek/2008/03/the_geometry_of_music.html

I first saw the connections to math when I found out that the octaves on your guitar string were exactly at 1/2 half of the string length. Half of the entire string length is your first half, then half-way up from that point and the end of the string (if you could finger it) is another octave. Each note is a similar fraction of the length of the string. Obviously that directly relates to the wavelength produced.

I just learned that the other day!!!!

I first saw the connections to math when I found out that the octaves on your guitar string were exactly at 1/2 half of the string length. Half of the entire string length is your first half' date=' then half-way up from that point and the end of the string (if you could finger it) is another octave. Each note is a similar fraction of the length of the string. Obviously that directly relates to the wavelength produced.[/quote']

I just learned that the other day!!!!

Yup, and if you place your finger on a string just above the 12th fret (the fret itself, not the fingering space behind the fret wire), and pluck the string, it's called playing a "harmonic." Make sure to pull your finger off the string just after you pluck it. There are also other natural harmonics at the 5th and 7th frets.

Aloha,

Brad

Doesn't Brad Barr count notes in a show? "umm ahh, we played like ahh 24327 notes tonight and missed 7, not a good night." He must use some kind of system or he's autistic.

Edited by Guest

Anybody hear the new barenaked ladies song? I saw them perform it this morning on Saturday morning cartoons. "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10." "What happened to 9?"

"7 ate 9." How's that for a musical/math connection?

Edited by Guest

Anybody hear the new barenaked ladies song? I saw them perform it this morning on Saturday morning cartoons. "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10." "What happened to 9?"

"7 ate 9." How's that for a musical/math connection?

isn't that a FEIST song?

I was heavily addicted to repeating that song and staring out my window at the skyfor about three months, I didn't even realise the numeric arrangement because I was captured by the lyrics themselves... "swing on the spiral" references to DNA and recreating the self in the desired image... "until we are human..."