Jambands.ca

School Teachers Help Please

Ms.Huxtable

Hello you most wonderful of people. (Teachers that is, not lurkers). ;)

I would like to do an environmental-themed event in a school in September or October and have no idea what age group, what school, what type of event I want to do yet.

I'll have a couple thousand dollars for budget. My goal is really to educate, make environmental issues fun, bring awareness, have a group activity clean up or something along those lines.

I'm looking for suggestions from the teachers on the site. Thoughts?

Plant for the Planet!!!

The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has launched a major worldwide tree planting campaign. Under the Plant for the Planet: Billion Tree Campaign, people, communities, business and industry, civil society organizations and governments are encouraged to enter tree planting pledges online with the objective of planting at least one billion trees worldwide each year. In a call to further individual and collective action, UNEP has set a new goal of planting 7 billion trees by the end of 2009.

Billion Tree Campaign

I'm driving coast to coast in September as part of my 30th bday extravaganza and am going to plant twenty trees in each province along the way to mark my trail. I love this program.

I'm an esl teacher, does that count? :)

I always thought that the best way to reach kids is to show them.

Example: have a forest conservationist come and teach them about trees, go to a park, talk about plants, what they needs, what kills them etc.

Bringing kids into their own environment to teach (as oppose to a movie) and learning about how it affects them directly. You could also have a little project that they can do to win a prize (give them 2 weeks after or before your event todraw a picture or whatnot and you can take some of your budget money for an "environmental" prize...good for promotion later on too).

Good Luck

EDIT TO ADD: Billion tree campaigne would be awesome.

Edited by Guest