Jambands.ca

Hillside Roll Call

jaybone

I'm looking forward to yet another Hillside.

As Tungsten mentioned I'll be overflowing camping...earplugs are packed!

Every year when I tell people I am going to Hillside they invariably ask "Who's playing?". Oftentimes I have to admit that I have no idea who is playing - I've just made the Hillside fest a permanent fixture in my summer schedule regardless of who is playing (and I guess I'm not alone seeing as the event sells out prior to announcing the lineup).

This year I have made an effort to preview the schedule. Although there are still many acts I need to look into still I am looking forward to:

Coeur Pirate - I've heard a few of her tunes on the radio and look forward to seeing what she has to offer. She overlaps with Xavier Rudd and lots of my pals think i'm nuts for missing even part of his set. I like Xavier's music and I love that he brings a message of aboringial solidarity to the scene but having seen him three or four times now his gig has started to get redundant and I'm up for something new.

Sun Parlour Players - are closing out the Lake Stage on Saturday. They always put on a good party and I'd love to see them play off the energy of a Hillside late-night crowd.

Bruce Peninsula meet Rural Alberta Advantage - as any previous Hillside attendee knows the best part of this fest is the creative combo's the organizers include in the lineup. Although this pairing isn't all that outside-the-box I'm interested to see what these two groups will produce.

Sunday Gospel Hour - always a must, even for the non-believers. Last year I was so moved by some of the tunes I cried (although I also cried at the tribute to The Band a few years ago so maybe I'm just a softie!)

Delhi 2 Dublin - ought to be another good dance party. They play the second last times slot on Sunday and with summer school early Monday morning I may end my Hillside with them and then hit the road.

Again, there are lost of names on the lineup that I don't recognize so please pass on any recommendations!

some great acts on that lineup.

in addition to what you posted, i'd recommend Timber Timbre, Hey Rosetta!, Library Voices, Julie Doiron (of course), Ohbijou, Patrick Watson (definitely see this), The Grates, Clues, 12-lane highway is always fun...

im looking forward to seeing Bahamas - Saturday, 2pm, Island. I saw him open for the Constantines and Weakerthans a couple of months ago at the river run and was very impressed. Here's a nice review of his stuff, along with other Hillside related info. Also looking forward to Dave Bidini, Buffy St. Marie, Loreena McKennitt (curiousity), Final Fantasy, GLS, Skydiggers and a few more.

'taper' you're officially old.

Sorry I won't be there but mainly because I won't get a chance to show off my chiseled physique (you don't think all the sleeveless shirts are just for fashion do you? Those things are gun constrictors, sleeves I mean).

'taper' you're officially old.

i was officially old when i turned 40. :P although, with age come certain advantages. early bird specials, students refer to me as "Sir", neighbourhood kids run when I scream, "get off my lawn", and it's easy to make my way up to the front of the stage when I knock people with my walker.

if I leave now, I may make it to Hillside by Saturday ...

old_man_walking_with_walker_lg_nwm.gif