Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum 09/10

badams

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully I was shit faced and sitting in booth at a bar with no clear view of the television for the third period when the Habs decided to play though really it's a winning formula, get outplayed for two but win one period and have Halak keep it close. The fans looked crazed.

The amount of Habs jersey I've already had to deal with today is disturbing.

There were some shit calls and some bad missed calls but that's part of the game.

Here are the facts...

The Habs went down 3 to 1 against the #1 Seed and came back to win the series.

The Habs are now in a best of 3 against the defending champs.

Neither of these seemed likely at the beginning of the playoffs. I'm going to enjoy the ride as long as I can.

There were some sh!t calls and some bad missed calls but that's part of the game.

Fuck that. I protect refs all the time but last night was gross.

The Habs deserve way more make-up calls the rest of this series aside from just Malkin interferring with Jaro last night.

I want 3 more in the coming games.

Guest Low Roller

If Staal can come back from a severed tendon, then Markov can come back from a torn ACL. Baseball players are fucking pussies.

As much I have mocked Kanada Kev over the years for his "second favorite" team and his complaining of officiating, I am still shocked at how silent he has been this spring!

Officiating so bad, it couldn't be a conspiracy

At the risk of driving my guru, Pierre McGuire, into a sputtering rage, I'm writing two words he hates to read:

Conspiracy theory.

And here's a double-negative my high school English teacher would hate to read:

Just because Montreal hockey fans are paranoid doesn't mean the referees aren't trying to hose the Canadiens in the playoffs.

What other conclusion might a reasonable person draw after Game 4 at the Bell Centre? Paul Devorski and Eric Furlatt delivered what one of my far-flung email correspondents calls "the worst officiating since Josef Kompalla in the 1972 (Canada-USSR) series."

"To Kompalla's credit, he was an amateur ref," the outraged fan adds. "I am told that NHL refs are pros. Can that really be correct?"

Maybe we'll find out tonight in Pittsburgh during what has to be a bounce-back game for the officials. Devorski and Furlatt were that brutal - criticized by Dany Dubé, CKAC's sober and cerebral analyst, and Don Cherry, who is no fan of your Montreal Canadiens.

The officiating was bad enough to send conspiracy theories into overdrive.

In essence, the theorists believe the NHL wanted a dream Eastern Conference final matching Alexander Ovechkin against Sidney Crosby. So referees jobbed the Canadiens, to no avail, in the Washington series. And now they're helping Crosby, who has yet to score in this series and becomes more of a whiny (insert word meaning female dog) as the drought continues.

Preferential treatment for superstars was not invented by the NHL. As the other McGuire, CKAC's Martin, pointed out on L'Attaque à 5 this week, baseball umpires tend to give 20-game winners larger strike zones. And NFL refs flag any pass-rusher who breathes on Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

McGuire Primo will be relieved to learn I don't really buy into the SOS (Save Our Sid) scenario. Although the threshold of paranoid plausibility has been low since 1964 - Is Woody Allen still working on his "non-fiction version of the Warren Report"? - let's try to be serious:

How can a sports league running the Phoenix Coyotes plan a viable conspiracy?

Mike Knuble on the grassy knoll? I don't think so.

But unless officiating improves - and tonight would be a good time to start - paranoia will continue to rage unabated.

Hockey's premier showcase should not be tainted by officiating that has some fans wearing tin-foil tuques to protect them from alpha waves beamed down from Gary Bettman's death satellites.

cryingcrosby1.jpg

Don't fret Booche, i'm still here and enjoying the read ;)

As the article said, it's nothing new really. The game the other night was brutal. Was it being swung to assist the Pens to win? I don't think so. They were simply BAD refs. Shit like that then dictates the play of the ensuing games. It sucks, but it seems to be a reality. I'm not going to argue about who's the biggest whiner (there are plenty out there and, aside from the last couple of games, i think Cros has really cleaned up his act) in the NHL but I think it sucks when referees don't simply enforce the rule book. Too many unwritten variables as to when an infraction gets penalized and when it slides. Refs should be repremanded/suspended/fined just as the players are when they fuck up.

One bright side for the Habs ... they have the series tied 2-2 and that the officiating hasn't caused them to loose the series. That really sucks.

I hope that tonight the refs allow the players to know what the limits are in the game right from the start, and stick with that until the final buzzer.

btw - i think Maxime Lapierre tends to look to the refs wayyy too often ... and he better stop his frequent "acting" (he does some great things, but that other shit has got to go)

Edited by Guest

I definitely have never aubscribed to conspiracy theories and Les Brahs. If it's shitty refereeing, thats all it is. One can only hope for some make-up calls (starting tonight~!).

But I did love this line:

Just because Montreal hockey fans are paranoid doesn't mean the referees aren't trying to hose the Canadiens in the playoffs.

Dave-o, can we adapt your comments directed at Kev from the Sens series to everyone else talking about conspiracies in the Habs series?

Kev Everyone, you really need to stop listening to Don Cherry, Glenn Healey or whoever you're getting this garbage from. "NHL Referee Conspiracy that is formed against the Sens Habs" - wtf are you even talking about? You're the only guy that has ever talked about conspiracy theories around here.

Oh, so you didn't read the article you posted then.

AD, as soon as you speak in 'general terms' about any reaction by sporting viewers that is a subject of conversation, you MUST preface it by stating that it is NOT about any comments/ideas raised by members in here (that article didn't quote anyone in here so therefore one would be a fucking "retard" for mentioning it). It is automatically received as a direct attack otherwise and you shall be chastised for it.

;)

You want to talk conspiracies? The NHL is experiencing the Schwa. Conspiracy right now. He is the reason the Habs are 2-2 in the series!!!!! :D

Gawd, i can't wait to enjoy some :bonghit: and then watch the game tonight.

High + retarded + NHL Playoffs = Epic :P

Edited by Guest