Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum 11/12

Guest Low Roller

So Jacques Martin leaves Montreal with a winning percentage of 0.489 after 196 regular season games, and 0.452 after 26 playoff games.

What? Where do you get your fucking numbers from? There is no way that is right. They made the playoffs the past 2 seasons and they are over .500 this season.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller
And who in the fuck is Larry Carriere? Apparently he has just got a job as an assistant coach.

He was the assistant to the GM. Now he is Gauthier's mole in the dressing room.

Guest Low Roller

So Jacques Martin leaves Montreal with a winning percentage of 0.489 after 196 regular season games' date=' and 0.452 after 26 playoff games. [/quote']

What? Where do you get your fucking numbers from? There is no way that is right. They made the playoffs the past 2 seasons and they are over .500 this season.

Here Although my calculations are slightly rigged since I counted an OTL as an L overall. Well it's not a W is it?

EDIT: actually that doesn't even come into play. Martin won 96 games of 196 that he coached.

Edited by Low Roller

Anyone else see Hal Gill pinch during that penalty kill in the third? Anyone else think that would have happened under Jacques watch?

Anyways.........I dont want to get over-reactionary (like Gauthier) right now. My combination of booze and surliness wouldnt do me any favours but fuck me. What was that shit Pierre G said about a lack of consistency under Jacque's guidance? I hope he fucking watched that game.

Guest Low Roller

Darche just threw Martin under the bus. Said that the bench was a lot more alive today. Nothing like stabbing your old boss in the back to try and please the new one. :)

Guest Low Roller

I just looked at the Cole head shot, and I bet that Cole will get a three game suspension, which seems to be the standard. It couldn't come at a worse possible time either! Gionta or Gomez won't be back this week. Moen is still questionable. Remember Ryan White? Yeah, he's still not ready to come back either.

The NHL announced that it will not have a hearing for Montreal's Erik Cole, who delivered a check to New Jersey's Adam Larsson Saturday night in which Larsson was struck in the head.

While announcing that Cole would not receive supplemental discipline Sunday, Shanahan said, "We reviewed this play extensively. The overriding factor in this two-minute minor penalty not receiving further supplemental discipline is the significant change of position to Larsson's head as he bends over and lunges for the puck just prior or simultaneous to the check by Erik Cole."

Guest Low Roller

Of all the things that Gauthier has done and not done, it seems that putting a unilingual coach behind the bench will be the catalyst for the next French Revolution.

Molson already cut Cunneyworth's legs from under him when he issued a calming statement that the next coach will be french. What incentive does that give Cunneyworth to try at this point? Molson's move was done out of panic after a wave of Molson product boycotting swept through Quebec.

In my view the Montreal Canadiens need to have a french presence of some sort, despite it giving them a disadvantage overall with the rest of the league. Where I struggle is to determine where the line is drawn between French Canadian and common sense.

Obviously you can't ask to have an entire team made up of French Canadien players. This isn't the 60's anymore and the Habs don't have exclusive rights to Quebec born players. You'd end up with a team of scrubs who fail at what they do. Would the fans be happy about that? Doubt it.

The Habs tried desperately to bring in a FC superstar to be the face of the franchise, think Briere and Lecavalier, but neither of those players wanted to be part of the Montreal circus and the trades ultimately never happened. Would the French media devour the French Canadian saviour? Without a doubt. Look how they have already begun to deify Louis Leblanc.

Should the coach speak french? Well if you listen to the French media, who by the way seriously benefit from a French coach, the answer is a resounding yes. Should that be the overriding criteria? Hell no. Proven success is what this team needs right now. French speaking would be icing on the cake. That's why hiring Patrick Roy would be the dumbest move on the planet.

Should the general manager be French speaking? I wonder what the reaction would be if someone like Dave Tallon was made GM in Montreal. He's built a winner in Chicago, and he is doing the same in Florida right now, a first for that franchise. Would the French media decry a GM of his pedigree? Probably. That's where common sense just plain loses out.

It is clear that a combination of one or more of the above need to speak French to provide the cultural continuity for this century old franchise. However making it a requirement is a handicap, and does this team, who haven't won a Cup in 18 years, really need a handicap, or do they need a solid team of proven winners, from players right up to front office? C'mon common sense, prevail here.

Guest Low Roller

Je suis un Montréalais. J'adore les Canadiens. Je suis francophone. Je veux vomir.

I'm usually very proud of my city but the coverage we are getting in the last few days is down right embarassing. We've had an english coach for 3 days and you would think the whole world is crumbling down. The Journal de Montreal has already voted Cunneyworth off the island and pulled a bullshit stat out of their asses saying that 72% of Quebecers find it unacceptable that the coach can't speak french.

Let me start by saying that I am a firm believer that people are stupid. A person is smart, but people are idiots. You slap a stat like that on the front page of a moronic publication like the Journal and what do you get? A bunch of simpletons who are so bored, that they are willing to call for a boycott of Molson products. Well, that is until they realize than an import will cost you an extra loonie.

Calm down you bunch of freaks! The Canadiens fired the guy you all hated and just because we don't have a french guy right behind him, you're all about to lose your marbles. Jacques Martin was losing the respect of his players. His decisions were borderline insane and he had to go. Randy Cunneyworth isn't the answer, but it certainly isn't because he can't speak french. The team sucks. They suck in english, et ils sucent en francais. Same difference. It ain't Mr. Cunneyworth that will change that.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about the Hab fans in rural areas who don't speak english. Who gives a shit about them? Are they buying tickets? Are they coming into the city and spending their money at the surrounding bars and restaurants? No. They're watching RDS in their log cabins. I never realized you needed to speak english to watch a fucking hockey game on TV. The Montreal Canadiens have millions of fans. They don't need the ignorant racists who would rather see the team lose en francais, than win in english. Newsflash morons, the coach doesn't say anything. EVER. All the news you ever hear is from anonymous sources or figments of the reporter's imagination. I've got news for you assholes. Youppi doesn't speak french either. Are you gonna boycott orange fur now?

Do you really need a french coach to tell you it's Peter Budaj in nets tomorrow night? Or that PK has the flu? Get over yourselves. It's not enough that the rest of the country, er, the continent, is rolling their eyes at the fact that this is front page stuff?

People keep saying that hockey is a religion in Montreal, they think that's why people care so much. BULLSHIT. If hockey was a religion, we'd be more concerned with winning than with language. This is political garbage. There are countless examples around the sports world showing foreigners coming into sports crazed markets and leading their teams to championships. If Ferrari can embrace a german to win countless F1 titles, I think we can relax on the coach's mother tongue.

It's obvious that a bilingual coach is ideal. The Canadiens have made every effort imaginable to make that a reality. Cut them some fucking slack if they choose to fire a guy mid-season and don't choose to throw another 4 year contract at the next frenchman that you will all want fired within 2 years anyways.

Now that I've gotten that outburst out of the way, let's talk about how moronic this decision was. That's right, after telling how idiotic it is that the coach must speak french, I am now saying it was also wrong to have fired Martin in favor of Cunneyworth. Why? It's simple. As much as I think this whole fiasco is ridiculous, I'm not stupid enough to think that it is not a sensitive issue. As a matter of fact, I think we all expected this reaction from our province.

Let me be clear. I wanted Martin out. I thought his message was stale, his treatment of our rookies was not beneficial to their development and I found his constant scribbling in his notebook to be distracting. But firing him just to hire his right hand man, regardless of language, was senseless. Our anemic offense was Cunneyworth's responsability. Why would things be so different now?

The mistake the Habs made is that they had one chance to try and get the public to accept an english coach. To make that happen, you needed a heavy hitter. Someone with a cup, or a Jack Adams, or... a single win as an NHL head coach. I shat on this team for constantly hiring green coaches, from Tremblay to Carbonneau, so I can't possibly be happy with this decision.

Montreal is a place where you can't afford to learn as you go. Not with an average team that is constantly expected to win the cup. You need a name, someone with credibility. Jacques Martin had that. What he didn't have was the good sense not to play Mathieu Darch for 17 minutes a game.

Had they brought in a Babcock, Bylsma, Ruff or Carlyle, the backlash would not have been this hard. Of course you would have the people who would rant about it no matter what, but you could look at them dead in the eye and challenge them to come up with a more qualified coach. By naming Cunneyworth, they opened themselves up to a world of criticism that they can't possibly withstand.

They put this poor bastard in a no win situation. He can't possibly live up to the expectations and the idiot GM who put him there is on his way out anyways.

Bienvenue a Montréal Monsieur Cunneyworth. Now get the fuck out of here.