Jambands.ca

"Freedom Fries", anyone?

hamilton

quote:

Originally posted by CyberHippie:

Brian, just out of curiosity, what's the climate like over there in Korea, with North Korea playing around with Nukes?

Well, today it's sunny and rather warm - I didn't wear my jacket when I went out for lunch... [big Grin]

The North Korean nuclear issue is, of course, one of the dominant themes in the media here. We get all of the coverage of the issue that you do, and more. However, it seems to affect the average person very little. The fact is that people in South Korea have been living with this for most of their lives. The constant threat of invasion by NK is something that they are all accustomed to, and therefore no one is really bothered by it.

Interesting fact: I have moved from living alongside the world's longest undefended border, to living alongside the world's most heavily fortified border. There are more troops concentrated here than anywhere else in the world. There are 37,000 American troops here, plus the massive South Korean army. North Korea has the third-largest standing (peacetime) army in the world, after the US and China; they have close to 600,000 troops. The military presence here is so ubiquitous that you stop noticing after a while.

However, considering that this is one of the world's "hottest spots", things are remarkably calm.

Brian.

Archived