Jambands.ca

Do we have any BIG SUGAR fans out there...can't wait for Woodstock may 25!!!!

bertha

I used to be a Big Sugar fan, but I have to say last time I went to see them they were absolutely awful. That band has changed a lot, and can't believe the canadian power pop drivel they are pumping out these days. And, I'm not sure there are many venue's around that are large enough to support Gordie's ego! I will have to say though, what salvaged the ticket price last time at the Guvernement was the encore. Jeff Martin and another dude from Tea Party came out, as well as the guitar player from Big Wreck. Lots of great jamming and good toons. It only took the whole show to get their.

Sorry if my criticism sounds a little harsh. Just my $0.02.

NARC!!!!

The first time I saw Big Sugar I was blown away... they smoked, I remeber them doing a cover of If a 6 were a 9, it lasted 20 minutes and rocked Barrymores to the ground, everytime I have seen them since, they have gotten worse and Gordie has gotten cheesier! I wouldn't make an effort to see these guys again, I give up

Big Sugar used to play Kingston 5 or 6 times a year in the mid-90s (we even got them for private party one time!). They were really good up until the point that Much Music noticed them...

I saw them for the first time in a few years at last year's Tulip Fest. In that case too, the show was saved by jamming with the Big Wreck guitarist.

hahhahah Very funny Booche...

are you baiting me?....

or are you really just waking up

confused.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0

Actually...looking at your Avatar..you already know what I think of you (check out the help wanted topic)

but you really do seem to be just cluin' in so I'll stand by my original assessment of you. cool.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0

Listen Phakinit_thru, quite phoning me......

Once I reload, the revolution will begin!

These things take time my friend. If this board is a microcosm of 'our scene', than look at we have got to deal with!

"Well I wake in the morning, fold my hands and pray for rain."

Alkaline IS big sugar. Big sugar may be radio-friendly but they are one of the most over-hyped yet underrealized bands in canada. I really resent their play on the radio sometimes when the songs get old but they're an incredible band live - they actually *gasp* jam! who can pull off live dub? not too many bands. a handful of DJ's...these guys are super nice too. i remember interviewing them for the radio and they were totally conversational. really great folks. I prefer alkaline to big sugar discs but i still like big sugar...the jam scene should support these guys more. if you don't like them don't go see em but they're still listenable and worth supporting. They're friends with gov't mule and are into great music. don't count em out just because they found a way to get notoriety in canada. we still need rock n roll.

OK Booche..so you want me to expand my analysis of you...besides not giving a shit what anyone thinks of you, you are also outwardly a man of few words but inwardly very powerful (sometimes you know that ..sometimes you don't) and don't worry about the microcosm..it only takes one monkey to wash a potato for all of 'em to get it...so everyone just really has to clean up their own shit. Never mind the revolution...we've passed it...you are overdressed! wink.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0

I saw Big SUgar up in Baysville (Lake Of Bays, Muskoka) about 5 years ago and thought they were pretty damn good. LOUD show.. They had the amps up to 11 that night for sure! They might not be the best but as far as Canadian pop/rock goes, I'd take Big Sugar over say 54-40.

I agree Kev, but they were playing completely different 5 years ago compared to what they are doing now, lots of blues reggae fusion kinda stuff... I saw them around the same time, and it was an amazing show! This last one I saw a few months ago was pretty disapointing. But I guess as long as they are happy doing what they are doing that is most important.

I almost caught them doing a free outdoor gig in the Whistler village a few weeks ago (the day after the New Deal's gig I think).... I'd just finished riding, and I think I ended up opting for a smoke/hot-tub/nap combo instead. grin.gif" border="0

Unfortunately, Big Sugar sucks. (sorry, it's just my opinion)

BUT

Have you heard of Alkaline? I don't know much aboot them, except they are an offshoot of Big Sugar. They do crazy dub reggae stuff - it's pretty awesome shit. It must be by the bass playa dude w/ the dreads

Download a song called "Strictly Got To Ill" by Alkaline - it sounds like the Meters meets Medeski meets dub reggae all in one - gooood stuff.

Sorry aboot dissin' BS (ha ha "BS")

I stumbled across the Alkaline CD one time in a used shop. By far one of the best purchases I've made. It's a wicked disc! It was a side project of Gordie's and I'm sure it must have involved the dready bass player too... This goes to show, and I really believe, that Gordie is truely a great musician, unfortunatley fame/fortune/ and ego have ruined Big Sugar.

It frustrates me, even when Gordie is jamming with others, like Warren Haynes for example, he's still trying to make sure that everyone thinks he's the BEST (and has the biggest penis). Maybe Gordie just needs to smoke more grass and forget about Hugo Boss...

hey canned...thanks for the back up!!

what radio station u work for?

yeah gordie may have the hugo boss thing but he really is a nice guy...have any of YOU actually talked to him? met him?

the rest of the band is very approachable and accomodating too...

just remember the big sugar boys play with...black crowes, abb, gov't mule...if these bands we worship see something in gordie to invite him to play with them, then he's worth his weight in gold imho!

i think warren, greg and the robinson brothers know a little more about music than the losers that hang out on internet post sites.

godamnit ! the negativity here kills me!!

first i'm a narc...thanks kerry and harpua!!!

see ya this weekend

quote:

Originally posted by bertha:

hey canned...thanks for the back up!!

what radio station u work for?

yeah gordie may have the hugo boss thing but he really is a nice guy...have any of YOU actually talked to him? met him?

So he's a nice guy. Great. Good for Gordie. Who gives a crap? Nice or not nice, that has nothing to do with his music or his public image, bith of which are subject to praise AND criticism. You don't have to have met him in order to have an opinion. And if your opinion is so solid, why would you thank people for "back up"? Do you feel attacked or something when people have a differing opinion?

quote:

just remember the big sugar boys play with...black crowes, abb, gov't mule...if these bands we worship see something in gordie to invite him to play with them, then he's worth his weight in gold imho!

Speak for yourself. I don't worship any of those bands. Not really that interested. Also, Bob Weir played with Hanson once. Do you like Hanson now??

quote:

i think warren, greg and the robinson brothers know a little more about music than the losers that hang out on internet post sites.

rolleyes.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0 That's rich.

quote:

godamnit ! the negativity here kills me!!

first i'm a narc...

Things aren't negative around here. Quite a nice crew, imo. Or at least they weren't negative until May 12, 2002.....

Stop talking about nitrous. Give us access to your e-mail addy. Then maybe you'll find people aren't suspicious of your motives. But then I thought these things would be obvious.

Oh, and for the record, I like Big Sugar, and their radio tunes are one of the saving graces on commercial radio these days, imo. And I have no problem with Gordie, or his Hugo Boss suits. But if CyberHippie doesn't like 'em, he's entitled to say so, and it seems to me he laid out his reasons with grace. But that's what I would expect from a real gentleman.