Jambands.ca

Down From The Mountain last night

Jaimoe

What a concert! This was even better than the DFTM show at the ACC last winter. Alison Krauss and The Union Station, Emilou and Patty Loveless were delights, often giving me chills with their beautiful singing voices and emotinal songs. Chris Thomas King kicked out the delta blues. As announcer and country great Rodney Crowell said, " Chris is bringing the delta blues into the next millenium ".

There was some real hardcore bluegrass standouts last night. Del McCoury smoked, but for my money, Ricky Skaggs made me laugh/cheer at his sheer skill on the mandolin. When Ralph Stanley walked out and started to sing " Oh Death ", the last performer to hit the stage, there was no doubt to me that there is no one more hardcore in their genre of music than Ralph Stanley.

All in all, this was a great concert. The sound was exceptional, and I was sitting in the 400s.

Note: A special mention must go to dobro master Jerry Douglas. He played a great instrumental solo number to start the 2nd set and he accompanied almost every act last night, adding dazzling lead and rhythm fills.

Hey Catfish. It's good that you're going. It is one of the best shows one can see and hear. It was an honour to be in the audience last night, listening to great music and performances . You'll never forget the show. If Emilou doesn't bring a tear to your eye, then I'll be surprised. She did it for me. No wonder Graham Parsons fell for her. Ralph Stanley's " Oh Death " will scare you sober.

Down from the mountain was amazing last night. I managed to get some free tickets at around 6pm, right before the show.

The concert as a whole and each of the performers gave off the most incredible down- home southern vibe. No pretension. No grandeur. Simply musician after musician making their way onto the stage and playing with all their hearts. You know it's got to be good when the M.C. is sitting in an armchair on the side of the stage.

Then it was over to the Comfort Zone for a Frontier Ghosttown reunion. Mark Wilson and Friends of Heffner played and a good time was had by all. All everyone could talk about was what a fantastic weekend it was. Both bands played incredibly well and had the dance floor moving.

....it's always a sign of a good night when you're stumbling to work at 9am - leaving behind several passed out party-goers in your apartment....

Just wanted to add my enthusiasm to this topic: you Ottawa folks are in for a real treat tomorrow night. This show was an embarrassment of riches. First of all, I gotta say that Jerry Douglas is my hero. He played some dobro solos last night that just spun my head around. So tasteful, so talented. Secondly, gotta give it up for Emmylou. The first song she sang last night just sent shivers up and down my spine. What a beautiful singer, and a beautiful woman! Loved the Del McCoury Band (as usual), especially their opening number, a fantastic cover of the great singer/songwriter Richard Thompson's "1952 Vincent Black Lightning". Excellent. Nevermind Ricky Skaggs, who was excellent, and I wish had taken the stage a little more often. There were duets, trios, collaborations all over the place. Alison Krauss and Union Station were impeccable as usual, and it was genuinely sweet to finish the show with Ralph Stanley scaring the bejesus out of us all with "O Death", and then an all-artist/audience sing-along.

I mean, the whole night was an insane parade of talent, and was definitely worth every penny. Highly recommended, go see it. Who knows if this line-up will ever tour like this again?

Also, for those who may be looking, Skaggs Family Records have been picked up by a Canadian distributor (Festival). According to Ricky, this means we'll be seeing a lot more of them up here, as well as getting access to their expanding catalogue without the import charges. That is definitely good news!!

[big Grin][big Grin]

I ended up going too and I'm so happy that I did! At about 6pm me and a few friends hopped in the car and headed for Toronto. A few beers at "the spot" in the Ampitheatre parking lot (sitting on the rocks right on the water, in the lot furthest away from the venue -- thee best) and then we walked over. We picked up some scalper tickets for $20 each - what a bargoon. Our seats were actually in one of those "boxes" between the 200 and 300s, with waiters and a little table and everthing! Pretty good deal. I became a big Emmylou Harris fan last night! Wow, what a voice. Ricky Scaggs was also super good, the highlight for me being Uncle Pen (!). I think it was Ricky Scaggs who mentioned that they were at Indigo bookstore that day, and had a small turnout. Who knew!? We hit the lawn for the second set. It was a perfect night for sprawling out on the lawn and just relaxin. The biggest highlight of the show was JERRY DOUGLAS -- holy crap!! The solo song he did to start the 2nd set was a beauty.

Special thanks to the group of people sitting on the left side of the lawn who were kind enough to miracle us with a doob right before the start of the second set --- we were doobless and it was so much appreciated! [smile]

Dave, you're actually going to the show? I thought you spent all your concert funds on Edgefest - I think you were the guy that pelted Cake's lead singer in the face with a rockand then yelled: " Get off the stage! I want Nickeleback "!!

I'll be there tonight with my wife and 4 yr old daughter. We'll have our portable chairs - red with maple leafs on them. drop by and say hi. I am so looking forward to it. I just wish that emmylou was given the extra time that colin linden is getting in the opening slot. she is indeed brilliant. hopefully it warms up a bit (after waiting for the weather to cool down for the last week!).