Jambands.ca

Favourite new bands?

Jaimoe

Just curious. What are some of your favourite new bands; let's say, of the past 3-5 years?

Here's some of mine, in no particular order:

The White Stripes

Nero

The Strokes

The International Noise Conspiracy

The Hives

The Soundtrack Of Our Lives

The Constantines ( I've liked what I've heard so far and they're Candadian too )

The North Mississippi Allstars

The Immortal Lee County Killers

Oysterhead

Jimmy Swift Band

I have a few more that'll I'll have to add later. I certainly won't be adding Nickelback, Puddle Of Mudd and Creed to the list.

I gotta say Jaimoe there's a lot,but here are a few that just shake my head!!

~Umphree's Mcgee

~Donna the Buffalo

~N.M.A.S.(im w/ya man,supreme stuff!...see em in Ottawa or Toronto??)

~Drums n Tuba

~New Deal

~Scheigho

~Rob.Walter's 20th

~Fat Mama

~The Slip

~Ancient Harmony

~Comotion

~The Recipe.....

more,.....

most aren't NEW bands but ones i got introduced to in the last year and a half or so....

Hey Puddles. I saw the Allstars twice in Toronto. I met them all on both occassions too, with Chris Chew hitting on my girlfriend the last time. My bands are all new-ish. There's a Canadian band called Bodega Cato Salsa Experience and a band from Norway called Cato Salsa Experience that I like too. They are both throw-back, balls-to-the-wall punk/70s hard rock influenced killer bands. Real rock is making a small come-back.

These are just bands I have been introduced to in the past 3-5 years.

Some I have seen, some I havent:

Nero (will never forget walking into that bar, expecting "absolutely nothing at all" , since we were going to see a 'friends buddies band' , and my jaw hit the floor within 48 secs.)

PLQ

Burt

Cruzao (WHAT A CD! I cant wait to experience that stuff)

D&T

Stinkwallet (you people have no idea)

Derek Trucks Band (best thing I have EVER seen in Ktown, nothing comes remotely close)

TAB

Pico De Gallo (funny how I think of them immediately after the Trey band)

DSO

SCI

Dirty Dozen Brass Band

Ben Harper

Jazz Is Dead

Yonder Mountain String Band

and last, but certainly never least, The Tummies, they have worked hard to get where they are at.

There are a few I wish I could add, and those of you that could judge my anger by the pool at the Stag will atest. Eric Truffaz (sp?) and that Tabla Beat Science sheet.

There are so damn many bands that I need to get into, where is the time?

Moe, Soulive, Particle, Galactic, Robert Randolf, Uncle Sammy, Widespread, Steve Kimock, Bill Frisell, Leftover Salmon, The Slip, Ween, Karl Denson and STS9

ok, enough.............

Hey Weezy, did you hit the Gorge on the May Long Weekend (i believe) for that Blackalicious, Galactic, Jack Johnson and SCI madness?

I actually contemplated it for about 45 seconds. I guess that would have been about a 5hr drive for you? I cant remember, 98 was sooooooooo long ago.

By the way, you have to BEST profile pic aside from me and Low Roller...........

I really have to agree with Weezy. Joe Mama are everything that is right in music today. Surely my favourite band of the last 5 years! Tim McIntosh is a true band leader. Soaring guitar riffs, passionate vocals. The whole package. -

"He's hip, he's cool, he's 45 !"

-- h (02-13-2002)

Oh, and SKB, they are my new favourite band too. And Nero! [big Grin]

Guest Low Roller

It seems like I discover an awesome new band every day. It's difficult for me to say how long they've been around though...

If any of these bands don't fit the 3-5 years delimiter and actually have been around longer and they've made my list, well too bad. Here it is:

- Jimmy Swift Band (completely anihilated me when I saw them at Dekcuf)

- Nero

- Sound Tribe Sector 9

- The New Deal

- Boards of Canada (Ironically a British band)

- Grand Theft Bus

- Drums and Tuba (that shit ain't right! [smile] )

Good choices LR - Boards Of Canada are actually from Scotland - really cool shit.

Hey Booche, that was the Sasquatch festival and it was on the same night as the nero/themasses double bill in Vancouver. I would have gone otherwise... (you're right, it's aboot 5 hours)

I'm not terribly familiar with hookah, but aren't they really cheesy? I saw a portion of one of their concerts and they looked like a bunch of suburban guys with big hair - straight outta the garage with the bitchen camaro. The lyrics and stage presence seemed really cheesy as well... Am I missing something here?

Did I diss your favorite band? oops, sorry.

It was on hob.com archived video concerts - I just checked and it's not there any more...

I watched them perform 2 or 3 songs and then had to turn it off. I don't mind it when bands wear their influences on their sleeves once in a while, but these guys had "GRATEFUL DEAD" tattooed all over their faces. I dunno, it just rubbed me the wrong way...

...................OK, I'll download some and give them another chance...

-

Favorite NEW bands? There's alot of goooood shit out there...Every festival I go to, I walk away with a new handfull of favorites - High Sierra is GREAT for this (or BerkFest for you East Coasters....) This years highlights for me and new favorites:

Garaj Mahal!!!!!!!!!!!

Jacob Fred Jazz Oddyssy

Network:Electric

Particle

Global Funk Council

Marco Beneveto & Joe Russo (anyone heard of them? NY cats with regular gig at the Knitting Factory - B3 and drums - siiiiiick - perfect moment: Zep, Four Sticks)

The Living Daylights

Forgive my lack of Canadian talent, bin heading south for so many years, and our local band scene out West is just starting to get cooking, and I haven't caught many of the Hipstar bands (cept Blue Quarter who are coming along very nicely - what an incredible rythym section!)

I keep hearing bout Nero, but need to see em live cuz the MP3's just don't cut it.....

Bouche, Sasquatch! was great this year! The Gorge is one of the most stunning venues to see music this side of the rainbow....cept for the Corporate bullshit of course (there's a good article on jambands.com regarding this)

Blackalicious cancelled, Ben Harper solo was a snoozefest. Galactic was incredible, Jack Johnson, well, I still don't get him, but hey, he's an anamoly to the promotors - from zero to HUGE in 1 tour...girls throw their panties on the stage!?!?! (man, I wanna be a rock star)

John Butler is great in a festival setting, But the Cheese!!! Holy shit! In that setting, made the trip all worth while! But don't take my word for it, cuz I'm biased like shit (self-confessed cheesehead).

Good to see some more west coast rep.

Spudly, I know you've been fed by Upstream for the last few years (thank the lode for upstream...) but the east coast scene is a bit more advanced than our own due to its heady populace... it's introduced me to bands like Drums n' Tuba, nero and Jukejoint which are SICK in the same way that Garaj Mahal is SICK.

nero is playing on October 18th with themasses at the Backstage Lounge - you gotta check em' out.

Personally, I would really like to see Drums n' Tuba and Jukejoint in Vancouver ASAP!!!! That shit would GO OFF!

WHY DON'T THEY COME OUT WEST???!! DON'T THEY LIKE US????

quote:

Originally posted by Booche:

Pico De Gallo (funny how I think of them immediately after the Trey band)

Whoa!

nice surprise...they don't get mentioned much outside of The Scherzo...fun band...have you heard the live disc? HUGE bass...