Jambands.ca

My friend is going to die any day now...

shainhouse

I think there was a post about something similar to this a few days ago and I just found this out so I'm just super depressed/bummed about it.

My buddy has been battling colon cancer for five years and it's gotten to the point where he is unconscious in his bed at home.

He has forbade anyone to take him to the hospital because he's been there on and off and there is nothing more anyone can do.

In one way I'm glad he's going to 'escape' any day soon, but I don't think I'll ever see him again. He's beaten death 3 times now but some people just can't keep cheating the inevitable.

He's lying in his bed, breathing but gone. We're just waiting for the final breath so we can pay our respects to one of the finest friends I ever got the chance of meeting.

Sorry for rambling and spouting my problems, I'm just supposed to be writing and essay and I'm having major difficulties not bawling right now.

Peace-

Hey Shane. I'm there for you man. My dad died of bowel/colon cancer 6 years ago and let me tell you, he's in a better place now. Cancer of any kind is a demoralizing killer. It's so unfair. Keep this in mind however, I believe that in a short while you'll be able to look back and smile about the good times you had with your friend. Don't forget this: People never die as long as the memory of them lives. I lost a friend of mine 7 years ago from cancer, she was 24, and the one thing that stays with me is her memories. Keep your chin up Shane. Things will get better, but it's going to be tough for a while. Emotions are a good thing and a way of healing. My thoughts are with you.

Nice thought Brad. I played guitar and sang to my dad when he was days away from dying. He was in a morphine induced coma, but he seemed less restless when I played for him. Joey Ramone also listened to " Beautiful Day " when he was on his death-bed. Music is always a good thing.

For yourself, Shane, I recommend reading (at least the introduction to) the book "Angry Candy" by Harlan Ellison. Ellison's collections often end up with themes, and this collection deals largely with death. The introduction describes his experiences in the mid-to-late '80s, when a lot of his friends and acquaintances were dying. While the whole book is good, the one story to read is the last, "The Function Of Dream Sleep."

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by shainhouse:

He's with his family in Toronto and I am in Hamilton, so I've come to terms with probably never seeing him again.

Thanks for the wishes and I apologize for bearing my mind on this board. I feel selfish about it and I appreciate all the kind wishes.

No need to feel that way, man... stay positive and focused and honour your friend that way, and never be afraid to tell your friends and community what's on your mind and in your heart... take care, Shain.

We all go sometime. Its just as likely that it'll be untimely as it is that you'll grow to be an old codger. One positive thing about cancer(I know that doesn't sound feasible) is that you at least get a time to prepare yourself and those around you. I had a close friend lose her parent in a car accident a couple of weeks ago and she was robbed of the opportunity to say goodbye and express her inner feelings.

I guess the moral is live each day as well as you are able and let those you care about know that you do. We're all here on borrowed time. I always try to go out and do some things that make me me when I lose someone close(after I climb out of the whiskey bottle). It seems like a worthy tribute to those who no longer have the opportunity to live to live well in their honor.

Peace and best wishes.