Jambands.ca

Computer shop recommendations?

bradm

I'm looking to have a computer built, to make sure I get what I need and *don't* get what I don't need, and was looking for recommendations as to a good shop. I live in Ottawa, and the closer to the Lincoln Fields mall (across from which I live), the better.

The computer will primarily be used for audio applications (transferring from DAT to hard drive to CDR), with a bit of web surfing sometime in the future. I don't need high-end graphics, DVD, etc. Good support and service is, of course, a must. Hole-in-the-wall likely-to-be-gone-sonn shops give me the willies to a certain extent, so a largish place would be better, I think.

Does anybody have any good/bad recommendations? I'd like to get up and running very soon (within the next week or so).

Thanks,

Brad

sprint use to be good with good prices, but they're on somerset between rochester and booth - make sure you ask your friends who know lots of questions about what they've offered to sell you before you buy, or make bouche or somebody go with you... [smile]

(maybe you could offer to help him move in exchange - ha ha, there you go bouche, trying to getcha somemore muscle!)

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. Huxtable:

Dude...you're gettin' a DELL....!!
[Wink][Wink]

Let me say this about that: remember, Doc., that I'll be using said computer to transfer all my tapes, including all my Huxtable tapes. This Dude will not be getting a Dell.

Aloha,

BRAD (Brad Rejects Advised Dell)

Call up sprint and axe them how much for these things...

Motherboard Combo with

Athlon XP 2000/ECS K7S5A Motherboard

512 Meg 266 MHZ DDR Ram

(all of the above will speed up your processing of audio files as long as you keep going up)

LG CD Burner

Biggest harddrive you can afford. (You should

be able to shoot for a maxtor 80 Gig though)

Case

I'd ask tungsten gruvsten on a preferred sound card for doing transfers. But, maybe an Soundblaster Audigy will do?

Video card, go with an Nvidia Geforce 3 or a Geforce 4 MX video card. You could also get one with TV out. There are a few versions of those. You could play a cool game if you wanted to with that. There should be one for around 125 bucks. If you really only want a display that does jack-shit beyond that...that motherboard should have onboard video, but it may take away from your processor power. If it does, then you can get a cheap ATI for under 50 bucks.

Monitor, well, you can just go ahead and pick whatever you want. Bigger is better, as always though, and so is flatter.

OK, so far I've got:

with Tolga coming from (two) recommendations at the office.

There's also been a chorus of "Nay!" recommendations against a certain computer company who uses the work "Dude!" in their ads...

I'm leaning towards Tolga, due to their proximity (and may drop by to browse them tonight), but will, of course, gladly accept any further recommendations that come in.

Thanks, everybody.

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by Booche:

Listen Bram, I listened to Bouche, The Sloth and Indika, and
is the way to go.

Not that I know what I am talking about though.............

[voice=goodfellas]

Bram? You calling me Bram? Are you saying I hang around with Sharon and Lois and elephants and sing songs to kids? Do I look like a kids' show host to you? Is that what you think? That's it!

[/voice]

Actually, the link to Sprint got zorched when I did an edit on the post (which seems to happen with lists: if you go back and edit a post with a list in it, items get lost).

I'll bump them up in the priority list. Thanks.

Aloha,

Brad