Jambands.ca

antibalas

SaggyBalls

where were all you dorks last night...it was smokin!

you'd better show to lee's palace tonight for an awesome afro-beat extravaganza...

deep basslines(that don't change a whole lot in the songs...which is okay)

exams end for me on tuesday, so if you know anything going on in london that you want to enjoy, come for a visit.

PARTY!!

With a mere modicum of luck, I'll be at and taping the Ottawa show.

I saw them the last time they came through Barrymore's, and wasn't particularly impressed (Afro-Celt Ensemble impressed me more, the time I saw them open for DMB), but that was in large part due to the venue (and its terrible sound, up where we were) and the bad-taste hangover from the opening acts. I'm willing to give 'em another try.

Aloha,

Brad

If I wasn't swamped with essays and exams I would be checking out Antibalas for sure! Kinda dissapointed that I'm missing out. [Frown]

Ah well, next time..

They put on a good show at the Harbourfront Centre about 2 summers ago.

Trevor, you're a lucky bastard! [big Grin] I would have killed to be at that show - I think these guys are great! If they'd just come over here sometime..... [Frown]

(But I might get Dylan! Rumour has it that the next leg of the Never-Ending Tour is going to start in New Zealand and Australia, which probably means some Japanese dates, which might mean... I dare not think it!!!) [Cool]

Brian.

quote:

Originally posted by hamilton:

Rumour has it that the next leg of the Never-Ending Tour is going to start in New Zealand and Australia

This is the tour that never ends.... It just goes on and on again...

Some people starting seeing him just because, but then got hooked because of what he was..

This is the tour that never ends.... It just goes on and on again...

hahaha, sorry... (puff) [big Grin]

I'm glad this type of music is making the rounds again in popularity, but I hate to see these guys get all this credit like they friggin invented it...the NinjaTune signing etc...sheesh they're no more than a glorified cover band, and it's not like they even 'cover' more than one artist-It's all ripped from Fela Kuti-the inventor of Afro Beat. Hell it's ripped from one era of his recording career-the early 70's when he was "Fela Ransome-Kuti and the Nigeria 70" I mean these guys play whole sections of his song and write it off as their own...same key, same progressions, same basslines, horn blasts, everything.

I recommend any of Fela-Kuti's 70's work over these guys-this is the real deal, this is the sound where it originated and you can tell through it's passion and intensity. This guy is the fucking Nelson Mandela of Rock-he suffered through torture and imprisonment and continued to stand up for his people and their rights.

This stuff was getting discovered and covered in the states in the 70's-I recommend another band called the Daktaris that rip it up with a more aggressive and bouncy sound than Antibalas could dream of.

Oh, and there's a rare live album with Ginger Baker(Cream) on drums that's killer too-

http://www.cnenigeria.com/music/felakuti.htm

http://africanmusic.org/artists/felakuti.html

I just picked up the album with Ginger Baker a couple weeks ago at HMV in Toronto. I love shopping for CD's in Toronto: The staff at the stores actually know something about the music they are selling. Anyway, the dede recommended that one to me. Very good CD. There is an 18 minute drum jam on one of the tracks and I would have to saw that it's so powerful and well put together that it doesn't even get boring. [smile]