Jambands.ca

Album of the Moment?

Rob Not Bob

Some of you by now are familiar with my NP (Now Playing) note at the end of most of my posts, included because I just know folks will absolutely bust if they don't know what CD I'm listening to at any given moment [Wink] Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone here had an Album Of The Moment ... not just on they are listening to right now, but a CD or show they are listening to *a lot*, over and over again. For me it is the deluxe remastering of All Things Must Pass by George Harrison. A perennial favorite of mine, for some reason this has been getting a lot of repeat play at Casa Del Hammond-Vincent. A lot of wonderful songs, wonderful playing, some excellent guitar from Harrison, Eric Clapton and the late Pete Drake (hero of Nashville Skyline, among other recordings) on pedal steel. I even enjoy the production, for all that it is Phil Spector doing something other than the Phil Spector stable of artists. I could do without My Sweet Lord 2001, though ... I know he wanted to change the melody so it didn't sound like He's So Fine, but it doesn't really sound like a melody at all.

So, does anybody else have one?

Rob Not Bob

NP : Oh, guess [smile]

"What is my life ... without your love?"

I got a copy of Brant Bjork and the Operators from a friend-i've phoned him twice to thank him so much for it....It's been a long time since he's nailed me with something(he introduced me to Zappa/Bowie/Crimson/etc... in early highschool...) so we're both pretty happy...

Anyways, It sounds like Cars or even Cake in it's musicality-pretty straight forward catchy rock but damn it's spring and i've got windows open so I can crank it!

Grand Theft Bus..birth of confusion (my order arrived last week and i LOVE it)

...especially since they named a song after me (heehee)

Dark Star Orchestra...03/02/03 Santa Cruz, CA

recreating 10/17/83

sugaree>

rooster

fotd

esau

bird song

bucket>

deal

touch>

samson

to lay me down

women smarter

terrapin>

drumz>

wheel>

miracle>

gdtrfb>

good lovin'

e: revolution

filler: box of rain

liberty

King Crimson -- The Power To Believe: An incredibly fresh sounding blow to the skull from a 35-year old "dinosaur" band. It's a shame this album probably won't get the exposure it deserves.

Bob Weir and Friends from Warren Haynes 2002 Xmas Bash: This one really surprised me. Great and bizarre transition from Shakedown St. to It's All Over Now (Baby Blue), then a seamless run through of some major Dead tunes capped with a fun One More Saturday Night. I miss John Molo!

Peter Gabriel #2: I'm upgrading all my Gabriel CDs to the remastered versions and I can't get this disc out of my changer. Vastly underrated among the Gabriel oeuvre. I like to think of this as Peter's country punk record. You have the alienated aggression of songs like On the Air, DIY and pretty much every track features some honky tonk slide guitar.

I've had a hard time not listening to the following for the last 2 weeks:

Hittin' The Note - ABB

Marquee Moon; Adventure; Television - by Television ( I've played these cds at least once a week for the past two years or so ).

Purple Onion - Les Claypool

As of today, when I pick it up, I'll be burning out Elephant by The White Stripes ( comes out today ).

quote:

Originally posted by ollie:

King Crimson -- The Power To Believe: An incredibly fresh sounding blow to the skull from a 35-year old "dinosaur" band. It's a shame this album probably won't get the exposure it deserves.

Bob Weir and Friends from Warren Haynes 2002 Xmas Bash: This one really surprised me. Great and bizarre transition from Shakedown St. to It's All Over Now (Baby Blue), then a seamless run through of some major Dead tunes capped with a fun One More Saturday Night. I miss John Molo!

Peter Gabriel #2: I'm upgrading all my Gabriel CDs to the remastered versions and I can't get this disc out of my changer. Vastly underrated among the Gabriel oeuvre. I like to think of this as Peter's country punk record. You have the alienated aggression of songs like On the Air, DIY and pretty much every track features some honky tonk slide guitar.

I so envy you, I would love to have the new King Crimson album but just don't have the cash. At least I have the latest King Crimson collector's Club making it's way to me.

Remind me, ollie, did I give the Warren Haynes X-Mas Jam to you or just tell you to download it ? [Wink]

One of the odd things about that Peter Gabriel album is that it was produced by Robert Fripp, yet I wouldn't describe it as being very Frippian ... I love White Shadow.

Cheers,

Rob Not Bob

NP : The Beatles - Anthology 3

quote:

Originally posted by ollie:

Peter Gabriel #2

Hey ollie, you just reminded me I've got to pull out my copy of Revisited - it's most of the songs from PG 1 & 2. Excellent stuff, I always thought PG 2 was particularly underrated.

I was actually re-listening to Up for the first time since the concert - it's a really great album, very dark and musically 'deep'. Like I sort of never noticed that the bass line for the otherwise fairly modern rock sounding "No Way Out" is almost like a samba - there's lots of neat rhythms and sounds in there, with Gabriel's always emotionally-pushed-to-the-front delivery holding it all together in a way only he can. Great stuff!

I've also been listening to

Special Ed & The Musically Challenged's Are You Okay? in anticipation of the Ed/Diesel/nero show this weekend in K/W. It's a really excellent album, I'd recommend it highly!

Peace,

Mr. M.

Guest Low Roller

I've been innondated with so much music lately that I find it hard to listen to one album more than once before I switch to the next disc on my pile. Also I tend to listen to different genres of music throughout the day depending on my mood.

The one that impressed me the most in recent time for its originality is Gotan Project. A couple of Argentinian DJs who take traditional tango and mix it up trip-hop style. Makes for some mean tango.

I'm also getting to know American Beauty by the Dead. It's one of those albums that never made my high rotation list.

quote:

Originally posted by rainmakerrtv:

Remind me, ollie, did I give the Warren Haynes X-Mas Jam to you or just tell you to download it ?
[Wink]

I downloaded it from TuneTree but you did pimp it to me a couple of months ago. I was of the opinion that Weir and Haynes styles just didn't mesh, as evidenced by Warren's propensity to occassionally leave the stage when Bob would sit in with Phil and Friends. I was way wrong.

Also have to give props to Dave Schools for philling in.

Archived