Jambands.ca

Musicians? Gear-Heads?

Jaimoe

I'm curious, I know that there's a lot of musicians on this site:

What gear do you use ( set-up, amps, pedals etc... ) and what type of instrument(s) ( including makes ) do you play?

I play guitar and some bass. Just name your main instruments.

1 - Taylor acoustic 510

2- G & L ASAT Classic ( similar to Dave Lauzon'of nero's seldom used Classic ) and a 1969 (?) Ovation semi-hollow-body electric: the only two musicains I know of that ever played this type of guitar are Glen Campbell and Keith Partridge ( I've seen my same guitar on the Partridge family )!!.

3- Fender Twin Reverb Deluxe 1965 re-issue. Way to much amp for me, but I got it at a good price.

4- Boss Turbo-distortion pedal ( I never use the distortion, just the volume ). Ibanez Tube Screamer, Zoom pedal.

5- Sony 4-track cassette recorder.

6- A beat-up Haggstrom bass ( thankfully, no bass amp yet ).

I like gear n' stuff too...

1) Epiphone Sheraton II semi-hollow body -

dark brown wood grain

2) Custom Phoenix (Japanese made) Les Paul

Imitation with vintage humbuckers - sunburst

3) Peavey Classic 50 tube amp 4x10

4) Boss DD6 Digital Delay with unlatched switch, MXR Phase 90, Crybaby Wah, Q-Tron envelope filtre, Ibanez tube screamer - experimenting with an octaver now...

5) Jasmine (by Takamine) acoustic with interior pickup.

I like the amp you have Jaimoe - I rented one of those a few weeks ago - great tone. The only problem with Fender amps (especially the DeVille's) are that the damn tubes rattle sooo much when you hit certain note frequencies - drives me bananas. Every DeVille amp for rent at Long and McQuade's out here has LOUD rattling tubes - a HUGE defect with those if you ask me...

I play drums, hand drums, and a tiny bit of guitar.

For drums: Pearl Master series ( i believe MRX,s) Maple shells with redwine woodgrain as colour. 13" 14" 16" toms, remo piccolo snare, and mostly sabian cymbals.

For handdrums: One headliner Djembe, cp bongos and little gadgets all over the house.

Guitar: it depends who leaves there guitar at my house for a whlile, if not just a crappy ol acoustic.

I play guitar. Well, more accurately, try to play guitar. I've got a 1967 Guild Starfire semi-acoutic electric and a Takamine NP-18C acoustic (with pick-ups). I haven't been able to use my amp since i'm living in an apartment right now but i've got a Fender DeVille "212". Recording wise I'm playing around with an Akai 4000DB reel-to-reel (know where I can get some tape?). There's some other "less-consequential stuff: Old bass, keyboard, 12-string, nylon-string, et cetera. I'm a bit of a collector. Now if only I can find some studio space to rent I'll pick up a used drum kit and have some killer jam parties!

Woooooooooohooooooooooooo!

I am a keyboard player, and I dabble in recording. My gear:

Keys:

Korg Trinity with the prophacy chip inside.

Roland A33 as a motherboard

Amp:

Not really sure. I bought it because it was cheap, and I just use it for monitoring.

Recording:

Roland VS840 8 track digital zip disk recorder...

Some compressor that I can't remember

Next purchase:

Roland vk 8M Organ sound emulator

Main guitar: Ibanez Roadtstar II (Strat-style body, two humbuckers [DiMarzio in the bridge], carved top, gold flame colour)

Main effects: Guyatone OD-2 Overdrive -> Guyatone MD-3 Micro Digital Delay -> Guyatone PS-3 Phase Shifter

Main amp: Fender Champ 12 (white snakeskin tolex)

Backup guitars: Gibson L6-S, Ernie Ball Silhouette

Backup amp: Fender SF Champ

Other toys: Yamaha MT1X cassette 4-track, Boss DR-5 Digital Rhythm box

Aloha,

Brad

i use a MARKII RHODES through a mid 70's FENDER TWIN REVERB amp(the one with the master volume knob). The rhodes has a poor output signal so I boost it with an ULTRAGAIN PRO vaccum tube preamp unit. For effect I like an envelope filter or Auto Wah cause it goes WAH WAH WAH in a funky way!

my next purchase is going to be a set of matching tubes for my twin!

For those have (or are interested in getting) Fender fgear, here are two useful websites:

The Fender Discussion Page has forums for various categories of Fender gear (Stats, Teles, vintage [pre-'85] amps, current ['85 or later] amps, etc.). It's a good place to ask questions.

The Fender Amp Field Guide is incredibly useful for getting info on Fender amps. It has specs, pictures, production dates, etc.

The Harmony Central Guitar page is also great; it has discussion forums, a whole set of product reviews, and even a lot of tablature.

Aloha,

Brad

MMmmmmmmm, gear! I love gear, this is a dangerous question 'cus I probably have work I should be doing, but here goes... [Wink]

My main thing is my harmonica rig. For harps, I personally really favor Lee Oskar (http://www.leeoskar.com/product.html). They are very playable, VERY durable, and I use all of the different tunings that Lee Oskar makes (standard Major "Richter" diatonic, Natural Minor, Harmonica Minor & "Melody Maker", the Lee Oskar variant on what is sometimes called Country tuning.) I've got 16 or 17 harps at last count, including mostly Lees as well as an absolutely beautiful engraved "Hohner Meisterklasse" (http://www.hohnerusa.com/hdiatonic.htm) that my wife got for me as a wedding present - she is the sweetest lady in the world! [big Grin]

My mic is that most classic of harmonica gear, the Shure 520 or "Green Bullet" (http://www.shure.com/microphones/models/520d.asp). Although John Popper has described this as "Shures excuse to sell a cheap microphone" due to its limited frequency range, I really like the feel of it too much to give up. I've been meaning to experiment with different mics, but the weight and shape of the bullet are just too comforting. I've heard that Sugar Blue modifies the original Green Bullet case with a SM58 diagram, but I'm a bit nervous about trying this. Someday, perhaps...

After the mic goes my favorite multi-effects, the Boss SE-70 (http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Boss/SE_70-01.html). It's a little programmable unit that has the equivalent of about 30 different Boss pedals built in. I know some folks prefer to have the all individual stomp boxes (like our guitar player Jeff, who has about 15) but I've gone that route and prefer to have my sounds preset, so I can dial up exactly what I want and I know it's gonna be the same, and I don't have to worry about my signal dying in 20 different places or getting sucked away to nothing. After the SE-70 is my one stompper, an Akai Headrush E1 (http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/akai/headrush/Headrush.html). This is similar to a Boomerang or Green Line 6 - it's a delay/loop recorder that allows you to capture loops in real-time during performance, or tap in a new delay to match the jam you're playing. That's what I use for a lot of my "trippier" moments while jamming. [Wink]

Curiously unlike most harp players I don't use a guitar amp at the end of the chain. Two reasons - one is that I use the harp for both distorted lead sounds as well as what are almost like keyboard sounds, using chorus, Leslie effects, ring modulation, etc. These often just sound nasty through an overdriven amp. The other reason is controlling the feedback onstage. Plugging in a live mic into a guitar amp onstage is pretty much asking your soundman to hate you! I find the amp simulator effects built into the SE-70, or else my SanAmp which I sometimes add to the mix do a fine job for live performance. On stage I often use an old Roland Cube 40 Keyboard amp, mostly just for monitoring. In the studio, I do use guitar amps for a lead sound, particularly a Marshall combo our drummer Mark owns or Jeff's big-ass Fender.

As a "multi-instrumentalist" (a.k.a. too lazy and distractible to specialize in one instrument) I have a number of slightly odd pieces of gear. Beyond harmonica, I have a bunch of different stuff:

* a lovely Yamaha nylon string guitar

* a Godin LGX (http://www.godinguitars.com/godinlgxp.htm) - an electric & acoustic guitar in one, a great instrument for performance!

* a Harmonium - a classical Indian instrument, basically a small hand pumped organ

* a "keyboard sitar" (http://www.melodicas.com/kype_sitar.htm) - got this odd fellow off the Internet, it's very fun to play!

* a Caruso student accordian

* a lime green Angel melodica - that's one of those little keyboards you blow into - and yes it is a "real" instrument 'cus John Medeski plays one - see: http://www.melodicas.com/Medeski.htm [Wink]

* a keyboard rig that mostly stays at home these days, most notable in this collection is my old-school Roland Juno-106, the first hybrid digital/analog synth with MIDI - the sound of the 80s baby! I'm sure I'll pull this out again someday, I still fool around it, playing the bass line for Kim Mitchell's "All We Are" and stuff like that! [Wink]

That's about all I can think of for now, but there ya go!

Peace,

Mr. M.

Hey Mr. Musicface...I have a Juno as well!! back when I used to make more techno tunes it was -the- sound for 'fat plastic' bass lines....it's got balls.

For instruments I've got a Korg Mono/Poly(minimoog's run scared when these are turned on) as well as a minimoog knockoff I built. I do alot of MIDI work so I have a sampler and Proteus 2000 rackmount module, but more and more I'm using software and soft-synths to replace my outboard......I also have a Theremin I made in college that's built into a round 70's Fleetwood 8-track....

Stupid things I have sold:

'80 red Gibson SG

Roland TB-303

808, 909, 606(x2) drum machines

Seagull acoustic

Roland 301 tape delay

Boss Chorus CE-1 pedal

MXR Distortion + original pedal

Hammond CV Organ and cabinet

...but these got me all the goodies i have now...

[Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by Tungsten Gruvsten:

[QB]Hey Mr. Musicface...I have a Juno as well!! back when I used to make more techno tunes it was -the- sound for 'fat plastic' bass lines....it's got balls.

Oh yeh! Someday I'm gonna pull that puppy out on stage again... the bass sounds and those ole analog pads can't be beat!

And Check, I second the motion on Reason, it's quite amazing all the things you can do with it. In truth I've only played with it a bit myself, but I've heard some pretty hardcore stuff using nothing but that.

Peace,

Mr. M.

oooh, like this thread.....

Electric guitars:

*EXACT same Epiphone as Weezy (nice to meet you finally, Weezy! How psyched are you to be sharing the stage with Fareed by the way?)

*Cort (Telecaster style - heavy as shit!)

Acoustic:

*Ovation acoustic/electric roundback

*cheapie nylon string, sounds nice though

8-string Mandolin:

*Northern acoustic/electric

5 string Banjo:

*Aria, also heavy as shit

Sitar

*purchased in Varanassi, India

Keys:

*Akai w/ Korg sampler

*Hammond (not B3, just an old fart style basic jobby)

Amps:

*Line 6 2x10

*Peavy Bandit (transitor)

*Fendor tube

Pedals:

*Line 6 Delay Modeler (w/ loop sampler)

*Line 6 floor board

Lots of percussion stuff...from egg shakes to Djembe....

My music room is out in the shed aka "the doghouse", where the wife banishes me...

Spud

alright...my arsenal is small but deadly...

i'm a bass player that likes to play and often times just myself and my imagination aren't happy without toys...

fender jazz/nameless headless bass(w aluminum reiforced neck) through:

boss oc-2>dunlop bass crybaby>EH mini q-tron>EH bass microsynth>EH worm>line 6 DL4> trace elliot 1x12 combo amp.

framus 12 and 6 string acoustic guitars from the 60's

tiny little mandolin like instrument made by some slave labourer in india...too bad the thing's a piece of crap or i'd play it for him/her more often...

i like music but somehow feel my equipment somehow lacks a certain flare...good thing i can back it up.

i'm all guitar.....

Larivee dreadnaught acoustic D-03

Fender american Strat - sunburst

Squire telecaster - an old one that feels pretty good, although its been comendeered by my old bass player, scurvy bastard!

amp - musicman rd115, heavy as shit but has a sweet vintage tone

pedals - boss overdrive/distortion, crybaby wah, dod envelope filter, boss digital delay/reverb, dunlop rotovibe(just got this one, sounds really sweet)

Trying very hard not to catch the gear bug - my baby boy sees to it that I hve no expendible income!!

~Ibanez Performance PF10-12 (acoustic 12 string)

~Vantage VS-25SCE semi-acoustic

(this was a gift from a friend)

~Deering Banjo-Maple Blossom

~Deja Banjo-5 string(cheap ass but fun)

~1962 Mandolin- no name (made in USSR)

Handmade and from the commuist days,found it and couldn't pass it by.

~Honer special 20 harmonica's

Keys>>>E, Eb, F, F#, D , A, C , G

(few more kickin around though)

-Epiphone Sheraton II (Sunburst)

-Fender Strat

-Epiphone PR775 (acoustic)

-Squire 5-string bass

-Fender Super Twin (circa '79)

-about 7 various stock and custom fuzz/dist pedals (TS-9 copies, etc..)

-Boss chorus

-Cry Baby

-Boss Digital Delay

Archived