Jambands.ca

blind faith

ggrtrhhrtgg

tonight it was a good friend of mine's b-day...

she has at times in her life, gone through some extremely difficult circimstances... and ths evening we talked--and discussed the concept of blind faith---

and I wonder, how many of you out there have blind faith in something...

dave-O beat me to it...

blind-faith-new.jpg

About the only thing I have "blind" faith (what other kind is there? isn't faith defined as belief in something that can't be proven?) in is that what I perceive to be the real world actually is the real world. Having read a fair bit of Philip K. Dick, whose work deals a lot with alternate perceptions of what's "real" (see, for example, The Three Stigmata ff Palmer Elritch or Now Wait For Last Year), I certainly accept the possibility, say, that "this" is all a dream/hallucination/whatever, and I have no way to prove it isn't (or is), but I have faith that I'm living in the "real world".

Aside from that, if I'm to rely on something, I want/demand evidence or proof. I consider myself a skeptic (and am currently mid-way through The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan, a wonderful book, IMnsHO) because, as someone who relies on manipulations of the real world to survive, I need those manipulations to succeed repeatedly and reliably.

Aloha,

Brad