Jambands.ca

coming soon...... Meltdown 2004

zero

Note the suspicious lack of "battle royale".

Event: SummerSlam 1990

Date: August 29, 1990

Arena: The Spectrum

Attendence: 19,304

Power and Glory (Hercules and Paul Roma) defeated The Rockers (Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty) (6:00) by Countout....Intercontinental Heavyweight Title Match: Kerry Von Erich pinned Mr. Perfect (5:15) to win the Intercontinental Title....Sherri Martel defeated Sapphire by forfeit....Warlord pinned Tito Santana (5:28)....World Tag Team Title Match (Best 2 out of 3 Falls): The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart) defeated Demolition Smash and Crush to win the titles. Crush pinned Hart (6:09). Demolition was Disqualified (10:06). Hart pinned Crush (14:24)....Jake Roberts beat Bad News Brown (4:44) by Disqualification....Jim Duggan and Nikolai Volkoff defeated The Orient Express (Sato and Tanaka) (3:22) when Duggan pinned Tanaka....Randy Savage pinned Dusty Rhodes (2:15)....Hulk Hogan beat Earthquake (13:16) by countout....World Heavyweight Title Match (Steel Cage Match): Ultimate Warrior defeated Rick Rude (10:05) in a "steel cage" match to retain the title.

aaah the end of wrestlings glory days, and the end of my interest in it, that was grade 9 i guess. I could never swallow Nicolai Volkoff as a good guy. It'd be a frightening scene to see a re-cap of whats happened to most of these dudes. Last I heard, Jake the Snake was a reformed coke head, christian crusader. Man, and like half those guys are dead too, weird. Including the two headliners! Original Hart Foundation was the sh!t.

favourite old time wrestlers--

tag team--- have to agree with the Hart Foundation

I was a big fan of the Honkytonk Man, he was a fu©king laugh

Had to love the Macho Man as well--oooohhh yaaaa

worst wrestling move ever--- JYD when he would crawl on the ground and touch people with his head and they would fly across the ring...

favourite bum---- Johnny K-9

Alright, I have been sitting here all night trying to remember the name of that tag team from Australia (well, supposebly ;) from).

They pumped their chests like apes as they entered the ring?

I know I am not giving ya'll alot to work with, but I rode an elevator with those fu©ckers the day of Wrestlemania 10 or 2 or something(? the one at the Skydome during the 80's), and those boys were fu©king HUGE! They were not much taller than me, but I was mortified by the size of them.

I cant fathom how big wrasler's are now..............

You people have no idea how big Vergil's (the Million Dollar Man's bodyguard) arms were. We either met, or were surrounded by all those boys back then. Macho Man, Hilly Billy Jim, blah blah blah. I cant remember names because I didnt follow it enough, but I knew enough to know some of these dudes.

Pop culture at its best!

Hulk Hogan was literally his own army. It was really cool to see. We saw him in the hotel and in the airport, and he parted the pedestrian sea as he walked. NO ONE asked for his autograph until he had to stop to check his baggage. Hell, only a couple of people did ask for it. The rest of them cheered and clapped.

Anyways, at one point during the trip, I was so fu©king high I had to leave the hotel room cause my travel partner didnt quite get me, so I went into the bathroom. That was the last time I ever smoked a 1g hashjoint by myself.

fu©k, they all stayed at the same hotel as us. Mr Perfect and some dude that was a HUGE bad-ass wrasler checked out the following morning (5am) with the skankiest 'ho's you never did none see. It was a riot that night!

Suffice to say, they all were in character when they were in public.

You don’t want to get me going about wrestling. Weirdness would be happy to tell you how I used to read WWF magazine at camp and insisted that wrestling was real. They all got a real kick out of that. I also did a wood working project that year of a championship belt with brass tacks that said ‘Champ’s Corner’. I think the craziest thing I ever saw in wrestling (outside of the ghetto barbwire and blood business) was one of those midnight TV broadcasts where Hulk Hogan suplexed (I think it was a suplex, actually a ghostbuster suplex a la Koko B. Ware – oh yeah baby the birdman himself who even Usher is ripping off for his moves) Big Boss Man off the top of the steel cage and they were both ‘out’ for a few minutes. That was what convinced me wrestling was real and the example I often used to convince my cabin mates.

Wrestling was fu©kin' real back in the day! Snookah started it all I think. The Iron Sheik brought the show down a bit because his camel clutch came off as a fake, but the "sport" was saved by Volkoff and moreso by Kamala..the fat crazy Ugandan dude. You could go so far as to say that Kamala helped idiot wrestling fans see the mystery of Africa for themselves.

Confession: I have over 600 wrestling tapes!! ::

I also remember seeing Hogan slam Andre at WM3. I watched it at Maple Leaf Gardens with my dad. I was soooooo incensed when Andre was denied on that close 3 count. I loathed Hogan with a burning passion. I was a pretty dumb kid too. I wouldn't admit wrestling was "fake" until I saw that fateful 20/20 piece that exposed the business.

Don't really watch anymore though.

zero - you mean the Saturday Night Main Events? when i was a kid, those were the only nights i was allowed to stay up that late... my dad would put a quarter on top of the tv, and we'd bet on who would win each match...

my dad actually met a bunch of the old school wrestlers at the airport in montreal, too... only, i dont think he would have been nearly as stoned as Booche.. anyways, he ate a jelly donut with Dino Bravo, and talked a lot of fishing with Hillbilly Jim.

hey, add Corporal Kirschner to your list of old school wrestlers... i dont think anyone has mentioned him yet... or Leaping Lanny Poffo (aka: The Genius).

Copps Coliseum used to have the wrestlemania's on the big screen, too, those were good times. i think i still have a box of old wrestling programs kickin' around somewhere, from all the times i went..

I've been watching them add a bunch of extra bleachers at Lansdowne the last week or so, and wondering what for. Then I remembered seeing something about WWE on the billboard outside. Is my neighborhood about to be overrun by masculine gay bashing closet homosexuals?

Hello $20 parking spot!

Or the mouth of the south cutting brutus the barber beefcake's gorgeous hair off...A moment frozen in time.

Those were the simpler days of blowing 2 bucks at the convenience store and going home and watching wrestling on TV.

Man,it really sounds like we lived similar lives during one point in time my friend.I read every post before going back to quote this one,everything you mention I recall.

Thanks for that. ::