Jambands.ca

Skanktuarians, lend me your ears!

Tonberry

Oliver Jones - Canadian jazz piano great

Dave Brubeck's Time Out album is a standard for Cool Jazz:

f55590zg6bm.jpg

Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue may be the best album ever made.

Bill Evans is worthy of any jazz radio segment.

You can't go wrong with blues either: Try looking into Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker and Etta James.

Also,

My Morning Jacket make great and beautiful music.

The Beta Band, especially their Three EP's CD is good and trippy rock, pop, folk.

The Flaming Lips do not suck either.

Hmmmm....

Sadly, I'm not finding a lot of these suggestions. I'm looking, though. ESPECIALLY the Jazz ones are being hooerish to find.

The Dub side of the moon was Fantastic. Liked it a lot. Also really like Wynston Marsalis... but could only get a little.

Keep the suggestings coming, folks.

i love this thread.

manu chao: like'm but they're definitely weird. they have a song that's good spanish practice so i played it for my kids, they thought once was enough.

ugly casanova: really want to get my hands on this. not only has velvet been harping about it, now del has also been singin the praise. it's time.

and 'sides that... i dunno, jeff buckley is a real fave of mine, i know he's not some diamond in the rough but all the same...

Get as much Nick Drake as possible. All three of his albums are great with Pink Moon being a masterpiece. Five Leaves Left and Bryter Layter are almost as good - some would say they are all equally good. There was no better folk singer/songwriter in my opinion ( other than Dylan ).

Parasites by Ugly Casanova

The parasites are excited when you're dead

Eyes bulging entering your head and

All your thoughts, yeah they rot

God and Satan they gamble when you're dead

Beams of light, one's Sprite the others bourbon instead

And all your thoughts, yeah they rot

It was hot and time was sticking to my skin

We're all the punchline to a joke that they won't let us in on

And all your thoughts, yeah they rot.

All right, Velvet, I 've got some Ugly Casanova now... still haven't listened.

The Sea and Cake though... I like them. I infact just found all their albums. Neat stuff.

Anybody out there tried 'Valley of the Giants' yet? Any Broken Social Scene/Godspeed You, Black Emperor! fans should look into that album.

Dave Brubeck was particularly big in the '50s and '60s, and continued to be active until the late '80s, at the very least. I'm pretty sure he's still alive, so maybe he's still playing sometimes, but he'd be in his mid-eighties by now.

You were probably listening to Time Out (by far his most popular album), which was recorded in 1959.

"Herbie Hancock yet, but, maybe that's elementary"

Herbie Hancock is not elementary, lol.

Anyways, check out

Jukejoint

Return To Forever

Mahavishnu Orchestra

Frank Zappa (tons of fun stuff for the radio)

Burt Neilson Band (function makes a great radio track)

Col. Bruce Hampton & The Aquarium Rescue Unit

Shibusashirazu Orchestra

Weather Report

The Guitar Trio (Al DiMeola, Paco De Lucia, John McLaughlin)

We've played all the above on our radio show (HighTime Tuesdays 12-2am 93.3 CFMU Hamilton)

Righty-o.... My show will be on tonight at 2am to 7am (technically tomorrow morning). It'll be chock full of music that I discovered thanks to you folks.

to tune in, visit www.ckcufm.com and listen live, or, if you live in Ottawa, 93.1 fm on your radio dial.

Keep in mind any one can listen to the show, but if you're outside the Eastern-Standard Time Zone you'll need to adjust the time to taste.

The Sea and Cake though... I like them. I infact just found all their albums. Neat stuff.

Yes!!! I believe The Sea And Cake is a Tortoise side project, by the way. I only have 'The Fawn' but I f'n love it so much. Who put you on to these guys? I don't have their album 'Thrill' but look at the album cover:

st.gif

Nice eh?

edit: I was just surfing around and found this live show of The Sea & Cake from Vancouver 2003.