Roll Call: Beastie Boys @ ACC 11/08

TimmyB

INCL $1 CHARITY

BEASTIE BOYS

NO AUDIO/VIDEO/CAMERAS

AIR CANADA CENTRE

www.beastieboys.com

MON NOV 8 2004 7:30PM

I'm pumped to be seeing the Beastie Boys for the first time tonight! Who else is excited about the show?

Here's the setlist from their show in Montreal.

11.08.04 Montreal, QC@Bell Centre

By James B

I must say, and I talked to Mix Master Mike about this, when he and I hit the stage at the very begining of the show (me with the camera and he with his GET READY vinyl) it was the loudest we've heard on the tour so far. This crowd was pumped.

Here's the set list:

All Life Styles

Root Down

Sure Shot

(They did some exdended stuff here that wasn't on the list. Maybe you all can fill me in.)

Triple Trouble

Flute Loop

Pass the Mic

Super Disco Breakin

Egg Man

Shake Your Rump

MMM Interlude

Sabrosa

Lighten Up

Something's Got To Give

An Open Letter To NYC

Right Right Now Now

Paul Revere

Body Movin

3 MC's and 1 DJ

Brass Monkey

Check It Out

So What'cha Want

Encore:

Intergalactic

Gratitude

Sabotage

F U C K Y E A H I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

ahhhhhhh, yeahhhhhhh. holy crap, that setlist gave me goosebumps. :D

i am *so* excited for this show tonight! i haven't seen the b-boyz since '95 (to this day, still one of the best shows i've ever been to in my life), and everything i've read about this tour has been positive.

i'll see you mofos on the floor!!!!! i'm dressing to come home with bruises tonight. ::

WHOOHOOO!!!!!!!!

I'm truly envious... sadly don't have the required donairo

If You Can Feel What I'm Feeling Then It's A Musical Masterpiece

But If You Can Hear What I'm Dealing With Then That's Cool At Least

What's Running Through My Mind Comes Through In My Walk True

Feelings Are Shown From The Way That I Talk And This Is Me, Y'All-

I M.C., Y'All My Name Is M.C.A. And I Still Do What I Please And

Now I'd Like To Introduce I'll Pass The Mic To D. For A Fist Full Of Truth

The Name Is D., Y'All And I Don't Pay And I Can Rock A Block Party

'Til Your Hair Turns Grey "So, What You Sayin'?" I Explode On Site

And Like Jimmy Walker I'm "Dynomite" And Now I'd Like To Pass

The Mic So Adrock C'mon And Do Anything You Like

I'm The A.D.R.O.C.K. In The Place With The Bass I'm Going

All The Way I Can't Stop Y'All Tick Tock Y'All And If You Think

That You're Slick You'll Catch A Brick Y'All 'Cause I'm A Turn It In

And I'm A Turn It Out But For Now I've Got To Pass The Mic To Yauch

Well On And On And On And On I Can't Stop Y'All 'Til The Early Morn'

So Rock Rock Y'All Tick Tock Y'All To The Beat Y'All

C'mon And Rock Y'All

I Give Thanks For Inspiration It Guides My Mind Along The Way

A Lot Of People Get Jealous, They're Talking About Me

But That's Just 'Cause They Haven't Got A Thing To Say

Everybody's Rapping Like It's A Commercial Actin' Like Life Is A

Big Commercial So This Is What I've Got To Say To You All Be True To

Yourself And You Will Never Fall And Now I'd Like To Pass The Mic To

The A So What's Your Name, Yauch? My Name Is M.C.A. I've Been

Coming To Where I Am From The Get Go Find That I Can Groove

With The Beat When I Let Go So Put Your Worries On Hold Get Up

And Groove With The Rhythm In Your Soul And Now I'd Like To

Pass The Mic To My Brother Adrock C'mon And Shine Like A Light

Yes Yes Y'All And Yes Yes Y'All I'm Always On Time Never The Less

Y'All And That's Right Y'All, I Shed Light Y'All I've Got No Time In

My Life To Get Uptight Y'All So What You Gonna Say That I Don't

Know Already? I'm Like Clyde And I'm Rockin' Steady But Time Flies

When You're Having Fun So Mike D C'mon And Get Some

M.I.K.E. To The D. You Come And See Me And You Pay A Fee Do What I

Do Professionally To Tell The Truth I Am Exactly What I Want To Be

Now Ad-Rock And M.C.A. Let's Rock This Joint In The Old School Way

Well I'm On 'Til The Crack Of Dawn Mowing Down M.C.'s

Like I'm Mowing A Lawn I Go Off Like Nothing Can Phase Me

You Think We'll Ever Meet Stevie? One Of These Days, D.

But I Can Stand My Ground And I Am Down To Wax An M.C.

Who Acts Like A Clown But For Now, I'd Like To Ask You

How You Like The Feel Of The Bass In Your Face In The Crowd

good luck, qu'est-ce que c'est! i know you will ace this job! we can celebrate your victory tonight. AH, THIS IS GONNA RAWK!!!!! even mixmaster mike plain old fu©kin' rules, but avec the b-boyz all at once????

wow.

i'll meet you at the gov'na's, mon ami!!!!!

(oh, and to anyone who doesn't have the $$, and might not have anything to do tonight? come down anyway, loiter outside -- chances are after the show starts, or even shortly before you can pick up a ticket or two for pretty cheap! last i checked it wasn't even sold out yet, and that'll get the prices of other people's extras down VERY low --- heck, when i saw the cure this summer, i had 2 extras to get rid of & i ended up selling them BOTH for $60 total (after paying $110 each for 'em). it is definitely worth a shot if you want to go badly enough! a sure shot! ;) haha)

F U C K Y E A H I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

ahhhhhhh, yeahhhhhhh. holy crap, that setlist gave me goosebumps. :D

i am *so* excited for this show tonight! i haven't seen the b-boyz since '95 (to this day, still one of the best shows i've ever been to in my life), and everything i've read about this tour has been positive.

i'll see you mofos on the floor!!!!! i'm dressing to come home with bruises tonight. ::

WHOOHOOO!!!!!!!!

We won't be seeing you on the floor as our seats are SEC 320 ROW 10 SEATS 18 & 19. But maybe we'll see you with binoculars?!

sure you'll be able to spot us through those 'noculars, timmyb, just look for the group of people having the most fun! :D

stranger things have happened (hell, bush actually won the election), i wouldn't put hey ladies on "never" quite yet. ::

OH! i heard on the radio at lunch today that they just released a whole whack of tickets for sale for tonight's show! get on it people!

i found a reason to come home. shower. plus, i made excellent time driving without the guilt of a functioning spedometer. i'll be over by 4. i still intend to drive, so maybe we need a mickey to chug in the parking lot :o

no word on the job, but the interview panel included a former prof and it went well.

moose, i lost the joint you gave me for post-interview.. i think i left it for my lunch waitress as an inadvertent tip. oh well, i still had a smoke! no worries mon.

you know, i've noticed a recent trend in internet land (not just on this messageboard, but on other ones as well -- so i'm not pointing any direct fingers here. ;) ). the subject of the beastie boys being on tour comes up, and there's always a couple of folks who have to pipe up with a snooty 'ugh, those old guys, yeah. i don't think so.' blah blah. well, to those couple of folks i would like to extend a friendly invitation... to shut the fu©k up, buy a ticket, get yer lame ass to one of the shows, and then get back to me, k? ::

(unofficial, but pretty close from what i recall):

The Move

Root Down

Sure shot

Eggman

Triple Trouble

Putting Shame in your game

Skills to pay the bills

Super Disco breaking

Shake your rump

Sabrosa

Ricky's Theme

Something's gotta give

Open Letter to NYC

RIght right now now

The new style

Paul Revere

Body Movin'

3 mc's and 1 dj

Brass Monkey

Ch-check it out

So What'cha want

Intergalactic

Gratidtude

Sabotage

what, a great fricken show. ::

our troupe managed to creep our way pretty close to the front directly upon entering the floor area. the opener, Talib Kweli, was definitely impressive, and while the crowd could have been a bit more wild for him (he was good enough to deserve it), they were still fairly receptive, and it was a good act to precede the boys. he definitely laid the groundwork for a fun and exciting night.

there was only a short break between the opener & our beloved main act -- in fact, they started pretty much on time (a rarity in itself for any big shows i've been to in the last while), and in the usual beasties way, it was with a helluva lotta style, humour & fun. a giant video screen lit up with the likes of mixmaster mike being wheeled in an office chair from the bowels of the acc. as he got closer to the stage, the mood of the crowd became more frantic, and when he walked out in person he was greeted by a healthy dose of enthusiastic screaming.

the dj platform was elevated centre stage, with the giant video screen directly above. upon hitting the wheels of steel, the screen split into two, moving to either side of the platform. i have to say, the camera work for the whole show was excellent. one of the most frustrating things about seeing a scratch dj (turntablist to the picky ones ::) is shoddy camera angles that don't show a lick of what's happening. not so. the right screen had an angled view of a close up on the decks to MMM's left, and the screen on the left had an elevated front shot closeup. at this point, the *five feet of fury* & i had snaked our way up to about 4th row, so we were close enough to see the firsthand action too. during MMM's opening, it was hard to decide WHERE to look, since both screens and the real life mike inbetween offered excellent angles. and i'm sorry, but when they say no-body can do it like mixmaster can do it, that's a dead on fact. i've seen all of the invisible skratch picklz separately, and mixmaster mike is by far my favourite. my only complaint is that his opening tricks could have been longer (and that's just greed on my part ::, he was up there a good amount of time).

enter beastie boys. at this point, the crowd was going pretty much buck wild at the front. the boys came out in matching blue full on oldskool adidas suits, and proceeded to take over the stage. they have just as much energy as they did when i saw them in '95, in fact, i would go so far as to say they had even more. throughout out the whole show they all scrambled over the entire stage, often coming out to the platforms on either side of the stage that extend into the audience. *ffof* & i had some amazing up close views of all of them (no fricken camera though! urg!), and the years have treated them well. mike d in particular still looks about 22 years old.

after a few songs, they ran off to the back, and a troupe of female breakdancers came out to entertain us. a nice adder. they get props for unabashedly givin'er to the whole acc, for being GIRLS, and hell, for being part of the beastie boys show at all.

after their set, the platform MMM was on started to move to the left, and the stagehands rolled out an entire stage set up, trickled with japanese patio lanterns, with the beasties already going on a full instrumental setup. they had changed into adorable 1950's powder blue suits, and were really getting into the motif, with beatles-on-ed-sullivan head shaking & dance moves. unfortunately, the sound levels at this point left much to be desired (the bass, while strong enough to vibrate your diaphram, overpowered everything else), but it was soon rectified to a better listening level.

as that section of the show concluded, we were treated to a hiliarously edited video montage of people before the show making requests for the songs they wanted to hear. as i mentioned before, the cameramen for the entire show get huge props, excellent angles for all the live feeds, and the clips they put together for this section were downright fricken hilarious.

during this montage, the b-boys disappeared, only to come back at the end in yet another set of matching outfits, this time jeans with the stickers and tags still on them and yellow t-shirts and baseball hats that each had a different saying on them. the lettering was hard to make out, but there seemed to be a soup theme going on. heehee.

this is where they rocked the sh!t out of all of us. they were going wild, running all over the stage, the video screens kept changing to different colours & other backdrops, & at this point the screens had moved down to the floor so they framed the actual boyz. the crowd up front was going nuts -- dangerous nuts -- and bless those motherfuckin' beasties, they actually stopped the entire show to denounce the a$$hole antics of the "frat boys", and give a firm but friendly (and funny) speech about why body surfing is just not okay unless you weigh about 60lbs or under.

at that point, i decided i'd had enough of the few fu©king a$$hole e-tards that were slamming into the group of friendly females i was squished between, & slobbering all over us, so i grabbed *ffof* & we made our way further back (this was during Ch-check it out). if they were going to play heart attack or sabatoge, there was NO way i wanted to be anywhere near all the mayhem that was going on up front. i was planning to go right to the back, but that full on empty space i was looking for just didn't appear -- the floor was actually full (can't say i'm really surprised though, we're talking about the beastie boys here! haha).

we made our way about 3/4 of the way back & eventually found a nice big chunk of room to dance in, and it was great to be able to put 100% of my attention on the beasties, and not have to be constantly fully aware of the action going on around me, to avoid being knocked to the ground & trampled to death (as i had to before we moved). it was just in the nick of time too, as they busted right into So What'cha want, and i could see from where we were how freakin' nuts things were up front.

it was also right in the nick of time, because the beastie boys suddenly disappeared off stage.... and then re-appeared in a gated area at the BACK of the floor! talk about lucky timing for us, we managed to get about 5 rows away from them for that section too! nice.

a brilliant move on their part as far as i am concerned, because it really decongested the entire floor. they disappeared & reappeared up front again for the encore, at which point we found a close -- and comfortable -- area up on the right side, & were even allowed to climb up to perch on the gates to see even better.

they ended the show off with sabotage, preceded by a loving "well, keeping on the theme of george bush is a dickhead, we'd like to dedicate this next one to the president of the united states". heehee.

all in all, a fantastic show. the beastie boys MORE than still have it, and they seem like genuniely cool guys who have a LOT of fun. they also seem to genuinely like each other, and they really do care for the fans. i was so impressed at the attention they gave the audience (important attention -- like, life saving attention at some parts!), they know the atmosphere at their shows, and did all they could to ensure everyone would have a bruise free good time. there was banter between them all night & occasionally with the audience too -- MCA even gave his hat to a girl they wished a happy birthday to. on top of it all, they also had the least expensive merch i have EVER seen at the acc, and i was thrilled to snag one of the last few girl hoodies (it's phat, yo. :D).

i couldn't help but muse to myself on the way out that it's been a long time since i've left a show drenched in other people's sweat... and i have to say the beastie boys were worth every drop.

Nice job with the review PalacePrincess!

Also you were very close to the setlist, you had all the right songs in there just a couple of them were in the wrong order. You did better with your memory than the official Beastie boys webstie www.beastieboys.com on the tour page! James B the guy that posted obviously just took the setlist sheet and the Boys changed it or he wasn't listening.

Here's the correct setlist:

Beastie Boys @ ACC 11/08/04

(Start time 9:17PM Mixmaster Mike Introduction)

1. The Move

2. Root Down

3. Sure Shot

4. Triple Trouble

5. Egg Man

6. Puttin' Shame In Your Game

7. Super Disco Breakin'

8. Skills To Pay The Bills

9. Shake Your Rump

10. MMM (Mike had four girl dancers come out and break dance. The girls looked like to me to be apart of the Toronto Raptor Dance Pack. At which time the Beastie Boys do a costume change into pale blue suits the stage rotates and they perform instruments. Time 9:53PM)

11. Sabrosa

12. Ricky's Theme

13. Something's Got To Give (End band set 10:05PM MMM rolls back out. The Beastie Boys do another costume change. The Boys return at 10:08PM)

14. An Open Letter To NYC

15. Right Right Now Now

16. The New Style

17. Paul Revere

18. Body Movin'

19. Three MC's And One DJ

20. Brass Monkey

21. Ch-Check It Out

22. So What'cha Want

(End time 10:43PM Back on a minute later)

Encore: 23. Intergalactic (The Beastie Boys run over to a second stage by the light board to do this song)

24. Gratitude (The last two songs were with the Beastie Boys performing instruments again with MMM)

25. Sabotage

End Time 10:56PM (Total Time 1 hour and 39 minutes)