Raisinhill

w/Contact

Friday November 12

Pepper Jack's

38 King William St.

pepperjackcafe.com

RHill_Contact.jpg

RAISINHILL BIOGRAPHY

The trio Raisinhill has risen from local acclaim to widespread recognition across clubs and jamband festivals, propelled by the sheer musicianship of their playing and a self-titled CD. The group has garnered praise from some of the most-watched jamband media. Jambands.com dubbed them "New Groove of the Month," while Relix Magazine called them a band "On the Verge" and is soon to declare them one of the "Break Through Bands of the Summer." Always touring, always playing, with seemingly endless energy and drive, Raisinhill will bring their bristling instrumental originals to a host of big stages this summer including The Gathering of the Vibes and Scottypaluza in New York, The Endless Mountain Music Festival in Pennsylvania and the Evolve Festival in Nova Scotia. Wherever they travel, music fans are paying attention.

John Kasiewicz, the guitarist, Brian Anderson, the upright bassist and Jay Bond, the drummer, have found that elusive musical relationship. They are equally accomplished and equally inventive, and the group's involved, focused, jazzed-up, rocked-out pieces have propelled them faster than most local bands dare to dream. Already, Raisinhill has been given featured spots at famed clubs like the Knitting Factory in NYC, House Of Blues in Boston and an increasing number of major touring markets each year.

More song-based than jazz-based, Raisinhill still has accomplished jazz training. Guitarist John Kasiewicz studied under the atonal composer Ernie Stires (who also taught Phish's Trey Anastasio) while attending Goddard College in Vermont, and the flair and eccentricity in his playing proves it. His solos take chances, veering from traditional jazz progressions into high-end note-holds that pierce through a piece or fast flirtations that dash between intricate changes. As a member of J. Willis Pratt & We're Bionic, Kasiewicz opened for Phish at the Pepsi Arena in Albany, New York and has performed and recorded with Phish's explosive drummer Jon Fishman. Bassist Brian Anderson studied Jazz Bass Performance at the University of Miami, FL, and has taken his deep groove loves to new heights in Raisinhill, launching into heavy full-bodied breaks and occasionally laying a bow across the strings for dirty, Primus-like effect. Drummer Jay Bond attended Loyola University in New Orleans and majored in musical composition and drums where he studied with Johnny Vidocavich (drummer for Dr. John and Astral Project) and performed with Jason Marsalis, Michael Ray, Charlie Miller and Stanley Turrentine. Bond is the backbone of Raisinhill, relentless and serious, alternately slamming and sensitive, lending a rich dynamic to the sonic experience.

Sometimes, the members use their voices as instruments, as sounds that weave between the notes. Occasionally there are words attached. Much of the material rises from their intense tri-weekly practice sessions, where the three produce instrumental songs that weave and expand across solid, relentless rhythm and melodic guitar hooks. Raisinhill's music is experimental, drawing on elements from rock-heavy jams to island rhythms and jazz-fusion space, but it's grounded. It grooves. It changes enough to keep listeners leaned forward, entranced, and ends soon enough to leave them hungry.

listen here & here

watch video

www.raisinhill.com

Toadsgroup1.jpg

Looking forward to this gig. Haven't seen Raisinhill since their Saturday night performance at CTMF....and Contact kicks my ass every time I see them. Great double bill.

Cheers

For those unfamiliar with Contact here's a bit of info.

CONTACT

Fusing the energy of rock, dub, break-beat, and house music into improvised live and recorded performances, CONTACT is a band on the advance of an emerging genre of music, assailing bored dance floors with irresistible beats and unforgettable hooks.

Since their beginning CONTACT has cultivated a broad following of fans and supporters. With connections to both the underground dance scene, and the exploding jam band phenomenon, CONTACT can rely on a mixed and vibrant crowd, giving partygoers a chance to directly witness and participate in the creation of the evening’s music.

In order to satisfy the band’s growing fan base and repertoire, CONTACT completed its second recording, ‘Dollar Empire’ in the fall of 2003. The new disc maintains the ‘live off the floor’ recording style of their first release, while delving further into the creative potential of the studio. The inclusion of new instrumentation and rhythms add greater dimension and clarity to the CONTACT sound. Dollar Empire adds a hue of polish to the distorted mayhem of their first EP.

www.contacttheband.ca

I'm also in, with my housemates and various girlfriends and stragglers in tow. We love the Contact and are looking forward to seeing Raisinhill. Also it's my housemate Chips' birthday (that's right, like the tv show) so we'll be getting him nice and loaded. He's probably the biggest Contact fan among us and will be having quite the time. See everybody there.

Right on....happy Birthday Chips! Quite the Bday weekend in Hamilton. Gonna be good times.

Hey briguy (good to see the "brah" dropped finally) got any couch space....LOL.

Give ya call in the late afternoon tomorrow,maybe some pre-show festivities perhaps?

First of all: Good set from Contact. I miss seeing these guys. I really felt how the drummer conducts their whole vibe tonight. Could've used more PA on his jungle snare but aside from that, great set.

Raisinhill was QUITE awesome, like a rootsier Nero. Drummer was a little heavy-handed at times but all told they were great. Hope to see them up here again soon.

Esau I knew I was looking for a guy covered in tats and I only caught you on my way out, but nice meeting you. I was sober because I'm working tomorrow and volunteered to be DD but that will not be the case tomorrow night, so we will party. Cheers.

definitely a great night of music. i cant wait to see contact playing some headlining slots, or late night sets.. i really enjoy that band.

Raisinhill is just fu©king awesome. thumpin' good times! its funny that the Rev likened them a bit to Nero, i was thinking that too, with a helping of Slip to go along with it. a great sound from these guys, grabbed the disc and cant wait to hear it, and would really love to see them up here again soon.

check 'em out next time folks... you wont be disappointed! (at least, i dont think you will be, but fu©k, dont hold me to that, im not a friggin pyschic.... sh!t...)