Jambands.ca

Guitar GEEKS enter.

boogieknight

Anyone want to talk distortion? What are you currently using? what is your favorite or what would you use if you could have any distortion box ever made?

Currently I'm using 2 different pedals

1) a stevenson stage hog (all tube amp/distortion)

stagehog.gif

and a Ibanez TS 808

ts-808.JPG

I also have a mxr distortion+, ampeg scrambler, Jacques Stompboxes wercer Box, big muff phi(hee hee) and an old ross distortion. Anyone got any recommondations on some new distortion pedals? I am on a waiting list for an analog king of tone pedal but was told it is going to be a few months before i get one.

Right on, I'm about as guitar-nerdy as they come, though I don't have much to say about distortion pedals. Right now most of my distortion is a result of overdriven, glowing orange tubes. I've got a Fender DeVille 410, and I find it to be excellently tweakable while sufficiently organic. I have a Boss Super Overdrive too, I keep the drive way down and the volume a little higher, to drive the tubes a little harder for a boost of sorts.

Check out Fulltone if you're looking for new drive. I played a dual-channel light blue one (can't recall the model, sorry) that was rippin. Good luck.

I use a Fulltone Fulldrive 2

fd2_anim.gif

Great pedal. Really natural and dynamic.

These little guys seem to be all the rage these days with the "obsessive guitar freaks"

77289327.jpg they're called TIM boost/overdrive. everybody seems to be raving about them but there isn't that much info on them.

I'm loving the Zvex Fuzz Factory. more of a fuzz than a distortion but its just completely wacked and very cool

fuzz_factory_big.jpg

I also really like the Fulltone Distortion Pro. Tried it with a PRS Hollowbody II and a 6L6 based amp... sounded incredible. dp1_lg.jpg

A lot of people really like this one. I was talking to Chuck the other day and he was saying that he'd pretty much got rid of most of his pedals except a couple of key items. One being this. centaur1.jpg

Eric Johnson's secret weapon. umm err maybe not so secret. I think his secret is keeping his fuzzface in the freezer before going on stage... umm anyways.. Chandler Tube Driver

21059.jpg

There is so much out there.

This one is for Booche, but its a compressor not a distortion

Transmorg.gif

A few years ago at the Comfort Zone, I was astonished to see that Derek Trucks plugs straight into his Fender Reverb. No effects pedals. Amazing.

Malcolm Young of AC/DC doesn't use any effects either, although he says he likes the way his guitar sounds when it is up really loud - which is every time he plays.

Sweet, the Rat is a classic. A couple years ago they came out with what I think was marketed as "the classic Rat's bratty younger brother, the Brat". It wasn't very good though, at least I didn't think so. Bit of a one-trick pony.

Pablo that Fulldrive 2 was the Fulltone I was talking about, I played it and loved it. I thought, however, that I could really have achieved similar tone straight out of my DeVille, and I managed to play a Fulldrive 2 through a Deluxe (the 112 version, they didn't have a DeVille on hand) and was impressed that the amp held its ground. The Fulldrive had a little more balls though, it could scream better on the higher-gain end of things.

I'm sure we all have different playing styles and are playing different music, but for my purposes, kicking in that Super Overdrive on the clean channel of the DeVille give me a really nice ballsy riffing tone, and I'm all about the riffs.

I should also mention that I've played these two Menatones, the Blue Collar and the King of the Britains:

T_MENATONE_BLUECOLLAR_NEW.jpg

T_MENATONE_KINGBRITAIN_NEW.jpg

The Blue Collar was incredible, very warm and crunchy tube distortion. The King of the Britains was also awesome, for that wall-of-AC30's sound, but not nearly as versatile as the Blue Collar.

EDIT boogieknight I have to tell you that Stage Hog intrigues me. Is there even a switch on that thing, or is it meant to be left on at all times as a sort of pre-amp?

boogieknight I have to tell you that Stage Hog intrigues me. Is there even a switch on that thing, or is it meant to be left on at all times as a sort of pre-amp?

The version I have has a stomp button on it. the new versions have a foot pedal. The Stage Hog is a 1 watt, all-tube guitar amp that doubles as a distortion pedal and a practice amp.

stage hog

Yes nothing beats the tone of a fully driven tube amp. Currently i'm using a late 60's fender super. So warm it could melt butter. I've been waiting for a year for my custom Stephenson 40 Watt Reverb Head. I should be getting it some time next month. The wait has been killing me.

The reason I collect effect pedals is because i like to have lots of different sonic possiblities in the studio, but nothing can beat the pure tone of a guitar plugged striaght into a nice amp.

Do you guys have any other peices of gear you can't live without or wish you had? For my i just love my mutron 3. coolest auto filter of all time

RE0064.jpg

Oh, yeah: I've got one other piece of gear that I'd love to start using again: an Ibanez UE-400 multi-effects unit. It's a 19" rackmount monster, with overdrive (equivalent to a TS-808, I think), compressor, stereo chorus, and flanger; all the effects are analog, and can be ordered however you want (each effect has a "position" switch for where it appears in the chain).

Unfortunately, I lost the foot controller for it somewhere a couple of years ago, and so the thing is useless to me until I can find a replacement. Ideally, someone out there has a UE-400 that's broken, but with a working foot controller. (IIRC, the UE-405 and it share the same foot controller, so one for/from that unit would do as well.)

Aloha,

Brad

Just got an email about this..

TBD_white_250.jpg

The Effector Truly Beautiful Disaster

The TBD consists of two effects in one pedal. First, there is the feed back loop (with photo-sensitive eye), which enhances effects placed in the SEND and RETURN loop of the TBD, turning them into crazy noise machines.

Second, there is the oscillating fuzz, which adds an amazing amount of texture (and if needed, chaos) to the effect in the feedback loop. The feed back loop runs _before_ the oscillating fuzz, and they are both seperate, which means you can have one on at a time, or both.

True Bypass