Jambands.ca

Looking to buy a Gee-tar

AD

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy a mid-price-range acoustic guitar here in Ottawa. A pickup would be nice as well. Anyone know of some good deals? I live right by the folklore centre, perhaps I should start there?

Can anyone help?

ad

Are you a beginner or experienced player? For beginners, I'd head to SongBird and see what they have in the $150-$250 range (more than that for a beginner, and you're mis-directing your money, which would be better spent on lessons and/or instructional materials [books, videos]).

If you've got a bit of experience, you might look at Norman guitars. I asked Velvet (a fantastic acoustic player, and a teacher besides; I trust his opinion to the hilt [nut?]) about his recommendations for acoustics a while ago, and he said the Norman B20 without hesitation. He also recommended going to Steve's Music to check them out (they're in the room with a door near the back, at the end of where the electrics are), includinging prices, and then heading to Lauzon Music (he seems fond of Lauzon Music...go figure...) to see what kind of deal can be made.

I played a couple of Normans at Steve's, and liked them. They come in a range of models, with and without cutaways, and with and without pickups. IIRC, they're made in Canada, too.

(I'll have full URLs for SongBird, Norman, reviews of Normans, and Lauzon tomorrow; my bookmarks are all at the office.)

Aloha,

Brad

I'd say I'm semi-experienced (playing for about 10 years off and on). I've heard good things about Norman's actually. The guitar player in my old band played one and it was pretty nice, although he tuned it too tight one night and snapped the headstock off. I'm sure that was a freak occurance.

Thanks for the tips, I'll look forward to those links tomorrow. BradM is the answer guy.

BradM = Brad Really Advises Dees Musicians...

Ha...

alan

I'm pretty happy with my Yamaha. At the time, many years ago, it had the best sound for the cheapest price, bright and beautiful.

The thing was stolen once, then ditched by the thieves in the bushes in my backyard as they fleed when the cops arrived. It sat out all night in the rain. It was fully soaked, as if dropped in a swimming pool. I found it the next day, let it dry for a week, didn't touch it or play it. It still sounds good as new.

Steve

Yo!

Norman, Simon & Patrick, Seagull, Arts & Lutherie (classical), and Godin (electric) are all made by the same people (Lasido) in Quebec. Norman/Simon & Patrick/Seagull are all essentially the same guitars, with different specs/names so they can be sold in more stores. The Lasido company makes a lot of their money making/selling solid spruce tops for guitars (your Yamaha has a Lasido top on it), hence, they can make solid-topped guitars cheaper.

Everybody wants a solid-topped guitar.

So, a $300 Norman= a $700 Yamaha. Norman's the one, you can get 'em cutaway or with one of four levels of Fishman pickups in. Buy at Lauzon's, 725-1116.

To my mind, if you're spending under $1800 or so, just get a Norman B20. If you wanna go hog wild, get a Norman ST68, about $700 with solid rosewood back and sides.

From a little presonal experience of my own i can honestly say Epiphone guitars are cheap and they sound really good and they only start at 279$ brand new. I ve owned 3 over the years and regret not holding on too any of them. I upgraded to an Ovation but i would take back an epiphone any time [Cool][Cool][Cool]

Actually, it is a resonator, which is a style of guitar (like "archtop") rather than a make.

The most-known form of resinator was made by, and gets its name from, the Dopera Brothers: the Dobro (now part of Gibson; National is another well-known maker of resonators.

The resonator-ness comes from that metal thing in the middle of the body that looks like a Victorian pie plate. It's essentially a metal speaker, and makes for a distinctive sound. Resonators are often used for slide, and show up a lot in blues and bluegrass playing.

Aloha,

Brad

Yup, plays like a beauty. Action is a bit low for my liking for slide, but the AM-radio sounds makes up for that. (and then some...)

Dobro and National are the original resonator guitars, but, like Epiphone, are now made in Korea. The only difference really is that Dobro and National use aged wood, while Epiphone does not.

THe one I got had a mahogany top and body with rosewood fingerboard.

Good stuff.

ad

Archived