Jambands.ca

Somebody Should Make....

Freeker

"Were they ever printed? Was this the money that I tried to buy drinks with, unsuccessfully, at Deckuf?"

This was all done for a Nero show at the Dekcuf (probably Whipping Post back then). It was end of fiscal year, April 1st or something, so we all had a mock NYE party with that money and the name tags were printed out.

Somewhere, I have a pic of all the money flying around when we threw it at midnight.

Either all, or most, of that is true or I have vivid dreams that I remember a few years later.

Actually, wasnt it a fund raiser for the Skank as well? Mike had some bills to pay to keep the site running, but was out of work?????

Actually, the Fiscal NYE show (which was the first time I heard "nero's Eve") was done as a challenge. The Whipping Post closed down in the fall of 2001, and Cafe Dekcuf opened up shortly after that. The management at Cafe Dekcuf decided initially that they weren't going to allow taping to go on at the bar. Velvet went to and talked to them, and said, in essence, "Look, there are a bunch of bands that I and my friends like, and they all allow taping. If you don't allow taping here, the bands won't play here, and you'd lose a lot of business. I could fill this place to capacity on pretty much any night you name with these people."

So the bar made him put our money where his mouth was, and nero got booked to play Dekcuf on Sunday, March 31, 2002. The deal was that if we could fill it to capacity with no advertising (beyond a Sanctuary post), then the bar would reverse its policy and allow taping.

We did, they did, and the rest is (recorded, largely) history.

Along the way, it sort of became a "focus" night for the Sanctuary, with the money, the name tags, etc.

Aloha,

Brad