Jambands.ca

Cuff The Duke upcoming shows

bONES

tonight

Sat. January 29th, 2005, in Peterborough @ The Trasheteria w/ Department of Foreign Affairs

then

Thu. February 3rd, 2005, in Guelph @ The E-Bar w/ Jon Rae and the River

anyone want to go to Brampton with me for this one?

Fri. February 4th, 2005, in Brampton @ Heritage Theatre Indie Arts Festival

then it's O-town

Sat. February 5th, 2005, in Ottawa @ Babylon w/Department of Foriegn Affairs and The Frontier Index

meggo you should catch the Duke this time around! hell EVERYONE should ::

Sat. February 5th, 2005, in Ottawa @ Babylon w/Department of Foriegn Affairs and The Frontier Index

The Ottawa show will be smoking.... Come early to see the Frontier Index, these guys will most likely steal the show. It's their first show in Ottawa and it'll be packed. They're fresh off recording their first album for Rainbow Quartz Records (I've heard the bed tracks and it's killer), opening for Joel Plaskett last week, and playing with the Sadies for New Year's Eve.

Click here to check out a recent article about the band, and click here to visit their webpage and download some rough tunes... For the Toronto people reading this, they'll be on the cover of NOW Magazine next week, so look for that.

I'm pretty sure they're on first in Ottawa, which sucks, but everyone who's planning to see Cuff The Duke should come early to see this band.

AD

For Toronto people, they're headlining Friday night at the ElMo.

because of your earlier post/comments about The Frontier Index I went to their website and checked them out. I noticed that ElMo gig tomorrow night. I was seriously considering going out to Brampton for this show:

CUFF THE DUKE...Fri. February 4th, 2005, in Brampton @ Heritage Theatre Indie Arts Festival

...but now i'm thinking i'll go check out TFI

i figure anyone who likes Gillian Welch as much as I do wouldn't steer my wrong ::

Oh man, the pressure is on.... I think you'll like 'em. If not, well, you'll have experienced something new. ::

Please post a mini-review of the show if you end up going, it'd be good to see what others are saying about them.

And if you end up talking to them, tell them Alan sent you :)

Enjoy!

AD

i like alt-country

they apparently don't like the label...but who likes labels!?

so i'll go expecting some good tunes, and if not..you have to send Gillian Welch an email a day begging her to come back to Toronto since her summer performance was cancelled..ok, deal! sweet :: ::

Incidently, I've never heard one note from Cuff The Duke, but they are getting serious buzz on The Edge 102 in Toronto. I don't listen to that station but my girlfriend does. Maybe I'll hear them the next time she switches to The Edge and turns off The Fan 590 on the radio in my car.

Good score for Cuff nonetheless and I hope to catch them live soon ( after I listen to them first that is ).

Well the Ottawa show was great. Doors opened later than expected meaning quite a lot of people were inside for the duration of Frontier Index's set, which started at about 10. THe sound was good, and they played probably between 8 - 10 tunes in their too-short timeslot. Nice 3 part harmonies throughout, plenty of guitar freakouts, super-solid rhythm section and great stage presence. The new songs were great, more rock with a hint of twang. The singing in this band is phenomenal, the meaty parts handled by Mike the drummer. Reminds be a lot of Danko's singing, with Levon's playing. Great great band.

Cuff the Duke were good but predictable. They've gotta tune up their delivery before I'll see them again. Same stage talk as last time they were here. 'We're from Oshawa, sounds like Ottawa.' And again they slagged the audience from the night before. 'Those people in Brampton were a bunch of jerks compared to you guys' or something like that. I can't stand that kind of grandstanding. That's just the singer guy's fault though. That second guitar / keys player is outstanding though, he plays some wicked wicked stuff. Drummer has a few timing issues but is nice and loose. Crowd was kind of thin by the time Cuff the Duke finished, I think a lot of people came out to see Department of Foreign Affairs, who I didn't hear a note of so I can't really comment on that. Oh yeah - Apparently Cuff the Duke is recording their new album for the third time. What's so difficult about a Cuff the Duke song that you need to record the entire disc 3 times?

Anyways, I'd really like to hear some critiques of the Frontier Index for those of you that saw them this weekend...

I'll keep everyone posted on their next appearances...

AD

Oh yeah - Apparently Cuff the Duke is recording their new album for the third time. What's so difficult about a Cuff the Duke song that you need to record the entire disc 3 times?

Maybe what they're doing (or have been doing) is recording three different albums: they recorded an album, didn't like it, scrapped it completely, started over, didn't like that, scrapped it, started over, etc. IIRC, Eric Johnson did that (three times) for what became his "Ah Via Musicom" album. (Eric's a notorious perfectionist.)

Aloha,

Brad

Those are good reasons Brad, but in this case it's the same songs, over and over again. Wierd. There must be a good reason, but the one given by the producer is that they just weren't happy. The thing is a guitar is a guitar, drums are drums, and there isn't really anything innovative or unique in their actual sound that would mean re-doing the record over and over. Unless they just didn't bring their A game to the sessions each time... I'll find out for sure though...

AD