Jambands.ca

longest you've had an album in continual rotation?

Calamity Jane

what's the longest you've ever put an album/CD in continual rotation? I'm wondering if there's some cosmic/karmic law before my neighbours throw rocks at me?....because in discovering ("props" to you Marcel) Michael Franti and Jack Johnson, I CAN'T get them out of the CD player. OH MY these dudes turn my crank! I'll listen to Franti (Spearhead) 3 times over (occasionally he hits that 'Barry White' register that does me in), then switch over to 3 rotations of Jack Johnson whose lyrics do me in. God, I'm in HEAVEN, but worried about when the neighbours are gonna come charging in and rip the disc drive outta my computer!

Lately it's been Ugly Casanova - Sharpen Your Teeth... I've played it at least once a day for about a month and a half... Usually more than once a day. There's something about this album that makes me need to hear it. Brilliant lyrics, amazing music... In fact, I think I'll throw it on now...

I listen to Burt Neilson Band "By the Door" a lot. I got it last April when they came out and it gets heavy play on my computer, on my stereo and in my car. Its not very long and it just really apeals to me the past year....sometimes lyrically, sometimes instrumentally, sometimes just as some larger musicscape that makes me feel nice.

Guest Low Roller

Well before the internet deluged me with new music on an almost daily basis I used to have those special discs that would never leave my CD player.

The first one that I remember being stuck on, to the great dismay of my parents, was Cypress Hill's first album. That tape must've been in my tape deck for a good two months straight before it got dull.

But with the internet offering me sacrifices of amazing music every day, I can't say that I even have the time to get stuck on one album anymore.

Growing up in the 70's and 80's, Zeppelin/Who/Hendrix/Stones/Beatles/Young and the Allman Brothers albums were never far from my turn-table and/or CD player.

More recently ( say over the last two years ), The White Stripes' " De Stijl " and " Elephant ", Television's " Adventure " and " Marquee Moon " plus My Morning Jacket's " It Still Moves ", " Tennesee Fire " and " At Dawn " are still in contant rotation.

When I first got a copy of Alkaline - Extra Long Life. It's old-school dub remixes of Big Sugar tunes. Now I know Big Sugar had their share of annoying crunchy Can-rock tunes that appeal to the Q107 audience and never seemed to go away, but if you get into their first four records (self-titled, 500lbs, Dear MF EP and Hemi-vision) they are really quite good IMO. Anyway when this album came out it blew my brain right open. I had heard a little dub and knew what it was about, but I couldn't believe that, first of all, Gord Johnson had gone to his record label and said "Yeah I want to make a record that's all dub reggae remixes of Big Sugar songs. Not really the hits, the album tracks. Can I have 10 grand to start it off, and then you'll distribute the thing?" and I just pictured some slick record exec going "You want to make a what reggae what mix of what now??" So the fact that the record got made in the first place is somewhat miraculous. Second, it's actually a phenominal record. If anybody is into Lee Perry, King Tubby, Agustus Pablo, even some solo Jacob Miller, I think this record stands up with all of those. Getting heavily baked and letting this album blow my mind is all I did for at least three months.

alkaline.jpg

Oh, and when I got the Oysterhead disc, too. Stayed in my player forever. My girlfriend hated it at first but I just kept playing it and playing it, to the point where she broke down and started to sing along, and now she loves it too. Damn thing got stolen out of my friend's car a couple years ago, never replaced it. I should do that...

B00005OL93.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

once i made a whole hour-long tape or so of the song 'alive' by pearl jam. over and over. to this day my sister hates that song because of me.

i also played the dalai lamas cd 'theta waves' for about 3 or 4 days straight, on repeat, all day and all night. my roommate sure was nice for not doing anything unpleasant to me.

DSOTM, of course. It's been in there for 10 years ;-)

That reminds me, when I first got into Animals I couldn't stop playing it for some time. The album still kills me, my favourite Floyd record.

And when you loose control, you'll reap the harvest you have sown.

And as the fear grows, the bad blood slows and turns to stone.

And it's too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw

around.

So have a good drown, as you go down, all alone,

Dragged down by the stone.