Jambands.ca

Skiing/snowboarding

Velvet

As part of my Coming Alive In 2005 theme I have decided that it's high time I tried skiing and/or snowboarding. So, I've checked into Camp Fortune and I wanna go. This is an open call for anybody who'd like to join me.

I think I'd like to try a half day. It's cheaper at night and on weekdays. I could go during the day on a Thursday or Friday, or I could do any night except Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

As mentioned, I have no experience. The website says they have beginner packages on Saturday and Sunday which include a two-hour lesson and equipment rental. Unless one of you experienced folks is willing to show me the ropes I think this is the way for me to go.

So, anybody else interested?

http://www.campfortune.com/cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi?view=snapshot〈=en

Velvet:

It's been too long since you've come to visit me! If you wanna learn to snowboard, I think this may be the place to do it.

The Mountain is usually open until June, so there is no huge rush to get here, and String Cheese is playing a FREE show in Whistler on April 9 (although I know the Skanc is down on SCI these days). A member of SCI is also playing a show that night in Whistler with his band "Zilla".

Just a thought...

Woo hoo! It's been snowing at Horseshoe all day and I'm heading out tonight.

Velvet, I'd strongly recommend a lesson. You sure can hurt yourself boarding if you catch an edge (I believe StoneMtn can also attest to this). Whiplash is no fun! Also, if you are going to be sticking to the smaller hills, it's worth calling ahead of time to see how many school trips the hill has booked. There's nothing worse than flying down the hill at Mach 1 with absolutely no control and oodles of third graders acting as pilons. :(

You'll feel much more comfortable the fewer little ones are on the hill. They don't give a sh!t where they're going. I guess because it takes more to hurt them than it does my old bones. Have fun!

You sure can hurt yourself boarding if you catch an edge (I believe StoneMtn can also attest to this). Whiplash is no fun!

hahahaha!

As KM knows, I truly can attest to this.

I believe she refers to my tailbone that is now curved (permanently) in the wrong direction as a result of "sitting down" at full speed into a mogul, which acts up and causes me pain (for 7 years now) after driving long distances or sitting in wood chairs (or courtrooms) for too long, as well as my annual whiplash that I get at the beginning of each season when I traditionally land on my head ... however, THAT'S WHAT SNOWBOARDING'S ALL ABOUT! ;) What fun would there be without the odd chronic injury?

C'mon Velvet! You let me drag you up the face of a rock cliff, and that worked out alright...

One more thing, and I learned this AFTER the tailbone injury ... they make padding called "Crash Pads" or "Asspadz" (brand names) that are essentially padded shorts that protect your tailbone. They're not cheap, but the day you need them the most is your first day on your board. They're about 75 dollars, but I highly encourage you to bite the bullet and make that purchase before you head out on the mountain. (You'll thank me if you do.)

after watching the `posting and you` video, i think i better ask this question on the winter-sport-related threads which already exist. phew.

i need to buy some like, snow pant dealios. something waterproof that will keep me warm to wear skating, wearing my long johns under jeans i feel like the stay-puf marshmallow man, lumbering around with little control.

any suggestions (question mark doesn`t work french keyboard)

(question mark doesn`t work french keyboard)
i once had that problem, i think the question mark is found using the "fn" key which is on the bottom left on laptops and the six, but i'm not positive. or you can go to microsoft's website and download english for your keyboard so you can switch back and forth. my computer was french when i got it two years ago and i made it english somehow, i think that was the method i used.

I went snowboarding the first time a few weekends ago at Fortune. It was hard as hell, fun as hell, and I can't wait to go again. You start to pick it up as you go along...by the second time out you will most likely notice real improvement. Be patient, and don't mind the 7 year olds wizzing by you.

I would recommend finding two other people to go with, and get a private lesson. I believe a 3-person private lesson runs $70 or so, and then you throw in the rentals...There's a beginner package that's pretty cheap, made slightly more expensive with a private lesson, but worth it IMO.

We had a lesson with this girl named Amy, who was super cool and oozing niceness. I would recommend her if you can schedule something.

Clothes? It's all about layering (fleece) and keeping the wetness out, as I've learned. They don't have goggles to rent but you don't really need them (they did have some crap-ass pairs in the lost and found). You can go out and buy a cheap pair.

Stretching before can't hurt. You're knees/quads/wrists/ass may be a little sore the next day, but it's a small price to pay.

Poutine for lunch will give you the necessary boost to keep going.

• 2 weeks later...

Argh! It's been raining cats and dogs in Moonstone for nearly 3 days now. I think the season is drawing to a close soon. There was still a lot of snow at Mt. St. Louis this morning, but the conditions are brutal.

I hope Edelweiss is still a winter wonderland for ya!

I was at Edelweiss Saturday and Sunday and it was great spring conditions. All this snow today will be perfect for the hill if it doesn't blow around too much.

Friday - That's when I drink, so I don't think I can make it.

AD