Jambands.ca

Recycling tip

CatPhish

You know those frozen juice cans that seem an enigma when it come to recycling because the bottom is metal and the top is card board. Well elementry schools,especially kindergarten classes(as well as Daycare centres, I assume) are always looking for them to use for paint.

I know it is a little more work to save them and drop them off at a school...but most people pass at least one school everyday.

I know I always feel bad because there are some times when I throw the whole thing in the garbage because I don't want to try to seperate them. This way you know that they are truly being reused.

You could even ask if there are any other items that they use. Some classes use the styrofoam meat pakages to roll playdough on( after they are washed with soap and water of course)

i've always just tossed those things in the recycling.. haven't had a problem yet!

Just because the recycling truck takes your bin, doesn't mean it all ends up being recycled. If you "contaminate" your blue box where I live they simply trash the entire lot. It is our responsibility to clean and sort our packaging.

Also, many municipalities have extended the types of plastic they recycle in the past year or so (check for the number inside the triangle...most grocery bags are a #4). Tetra packs (juice boxes, etc.) are now recycled in many areas too.

What about egg cartons? I remember our school used them for all kinds of things (making catapillar crafts, holding beads and other small items, paint palettes....)

Great idea Catphish. We all know schools need as much help as possible these days. It's nice to see we can help in small ways.

Just because the recycling truck takes your bin, doesn't mean it all ends up being recycled. If you "contaminate" your blue box where I live they simply trash the entire lot. It is our responsibility to clean and sort our packaging.

Also, many municipalities have extended the types of plastic they recycle in the past year or so (check for the number inside the triangle...most grocery bags are a #4). Tetra packs (juice boxes, etc.) are now recycled in many areas too.

Thanks for replying Kaidy, you prompted me to check out Hamilton's recycling regulations at their website.

Recycling in Hamilton - What Goes In

Looks like juice cans are ok, as are tetra packs, grocery bags, and lots of other things! You have to sort into two streams though: the container stream and the paper (fibre) stream.

In our area they have actually decresed the types of plastic etc. that they will take. They no longer take plastic bags, and only take plastics with the #1 or 2 on them.

That's awful!!! :: I live in the country and they only do #1 & #2 as well. Luckily my brother lives in town and I send my other stuff to his house. The health food store I work at also has a paper/plastic/styrofoam recycling program set up, so I take stuff there as well.

There area a lot of advantages to having a privatized recycling system set up. The company sells the recycleables for cash so of course they want to get as much as they can. The city doesn't make any money off of the stuff, but at least we have less waste to deal with. Sadly this scenario doesn't usually apply to rural areas.

I think the key is to buy things with the least amount of waste or that which is packaged in the most environmentally conscious packaging. Yay to Six Shooter Records for having recycleable CD mailers! I hate waiting for something really cool to come in the mail only to have it wrapped in 6 layers of plastic and tape that will take 100+ years to break down. My heart sinks a little.

hey, thanks for the tip catphish! funny you should mention this, i was pondering the anomaly that is the juice can just the other day.... :D

and to stay off topic ;), awww, this makes me miss kindergarten. oh, what a life! how i long for the days when the threat of bees was the biggest, most awful thing to deal with. ::

The big problem I find is the damn stryofoam containers and such, not so much at home since I can avoid it mostly but the food court at work here is rampant with them, and people throw them out...doesn't Ontario or Quebec (where I work) have any regulated programs for recycling styrofoam?

A lot of the styrofoam containers are now being made out of #6 recycled material. As far as I know Guelph (yay Guelph) is the only place that recycles #6s. At least I hope so, I stockpile the few I have and send them back with friends who live there when they come up to visit.

I don't have much advice for food courts other than to avoid them and encourage others to do the same. It's a constant pet peeve of mine that no one recycles cup lids (i.e. Tim Hortons) which are all #6s. Also, since most organic produce is shipped from Cali this time of year it is over packaged beyond belief. A broccoli I saw last week was secured on a styrofoam slab by like 6 feet of plastic wrap (which you cannot recycle). I opted for to go without broccoli for the week. :(