Jambands.ca

Big Summer Classic show/ticket info

Basher

Keller is amazing! I used to see him at the Great American Music Hall all the time in SF. He really fired up that place at times, but that's more the size of venue you'd want to see him in. He's good at festivals too, I just feel that a lot of the subtleties get lost on their way to you in such an open venue.

Question then:

When say SCI plays the warehouse, do you think everyone there is as "tuned in" to the scene as those on the board.

My take has always been that a show like that would have A LOT of people that don't really know cheese, but know that there buddy also took them to a Phish [or dead or WSP etc.] show and it was awesome.

I know the Dover krew is always half and half. Or maybe everyone has heard of but not heard....

just curious.

My take has always been that a show like that would have A LOT of people that don't really know cheese, but know that there buddy also took them to a Phish [or dead or WSP etc.] show and it was awesome.

Yeah, I think you're onto something there MoMack. I dragged a bunch of friends out to see SCI at the Warehouse a few years back. They all had an awesome time, but really didn't understand what they were in for. Plus, the partying got a little full tilt that night (imagine that)...so doing shots of the band's Jose Gold was a nice treat. It's funny you pose this question as Nershi even said that night that he could tell that the crowd seemed to be made up of a bunch of people new to their music. People loved it, but TO was still a little behind when it came to SCI. That being said, SCI lost something from then to now.

I'd far rather see Keller (or a Keller/SCI jam), but will still try my best to get down to SCI. Let's just hope that for the love of God they leave all of Untying the Not off of their set list.

Let's just hope that for the love of God they leave all of Untying the Not off of their set list.

Agreed... I'm really hoping for a Keller Williams Incident, hopefully he'll have the slot before SCI... Somehow I think it'll be Spearhead though, which is fine. I'll need to grab more beer before the Cheese play and that would be the perfect band for me to do so...

Funny how peoples view of the same show can differ. I had a great time at the last sci show in toronto, I was totally tuned in though, of course...and had just come home from seeing their last 6 shows as well.

But the description of the crowd seems to be common for any TO crowd. Most of the time I find half the people are there 'cause their buddies dragged them out for some good music' or they're simply making an appearance in the scene...the chattyness of most TO shows shows it.

Maybe its just the warehouse though. The last MMW show was awfully chatty - and I like to think MMW has a good crowd in TO.

Regardless, cheese always throw down in Canada. I would not miss this show under any circumstances.. even if I had to swim across the freakin' lake to get there...despite the risk of coming ashore with a third eye ;o)

Obviously, my opinion is waaayyy biased, likely being the biggest FOC on this board, or this side of the border even!

My real interest in this summer tour are the endless possibilities of cross-pollination every night. The barefoot boys love to play with others and have guests on with them. Franti and keller have already played with them countless times.

Whatever you do... DO NOT miss New Monsoon.

I would not miss this show under any circumstances.. even if I had to swim across the freakin' lake to get there...despite the risk of coming ashore with a third eye ;o)

TOTALLY AGREED!! I HAVE NO IDEA THE SIZE OF THE VENUE, OR EVEN WHERE THEY'LL BE PLAYING (COMMENTS? PREDICTIONS?) I'VE SEEN BANDS IN THE TEENY TINY COMMUNITY CENTRE ON WARD'S BUT I DON'T IMAGINE IT'LL BE SUCH A SMALL VENUE, D'YA THINK??? ANYWAY, JUST IN CASE IT DOES SELLOUT IN ADVANCE OF TICKETBASTARD COMING ONLINE, I JUST BOUGHT 4 TIX THROUGH THE BIG SUMMER CLASSIC WEBSITE FOR A TOTAL OF $165.95 AMERICAN CLAMS

My real interest in this summer tour are the endless possibilities of cross-pollination every night. The barefoot boys love to play with others and have guests on with them. Franti and keller have already played with them countless times.

OOOOH BOY, THIS IS GIVING ME SHIVERS!!!!!

hahaha i know who prosty is..hehehe Hi prosty! missed joo at scofield last night. got some smokes at the store by your house and thought of joo guys.

jeah, 3 tix for toronto cost 143 and change USD incl. all charges. all i can say to that is DANG! and that includes your ferry fare aparently. I can't wait to see every person i know at one show again, that hasn't happened since ABB in 2003 at the amphitheatre.

Heady:

I hear what you're saying about cross-polination. But I find sometimes thats not a great thing. I've seen some people come out with Cheese and they just don't have the chops. (I'm sure Kellar does). Franti, on the other hand, I saw come out a couple times. He does the same flat rhyme each and every time. Boring. Saw Xavier Rudd embarass himself with Cheese. I'm sure the YMSB boys could hold there own, but I'm not holding my breath on many of the others...

I guess over a tour it could get better...

Maybe its just the warehouse though. The last MMW show was awfully chatty - and I like to think MMW has a good crowd in TO.

Bingo! It's totally the warehouse. Guranteed to kill every good show. It's the chattiest venue in town. I swear the majority of the people are just there to give'r with their buddies. Oh, there's a band playing?