Jambands.ca

secrets to a healthy relationship...

MamaPink

we bought a 130 + year old house that had wallpaper everywhere. taking it down was fine at first' date=' but by the third room it was no longer a healthy stress release [/quote']

We are in the same boat!!!We have done a few rooms and its not that bad,when there is only one or two layers!!!Are computer room is a different story,the people who lived in the house before us thought it would be a good idea to paint over the wallpaper!! }:( It is going to be the last room in the house we do!!!I don't even what to think about the mess that will be.

2 x 2 studs and thin drywall may be your best bet. our hallway is covered in thick evil vinyl wallpaper...we'd love to take it down but as the walls beneath are very obviously cracked we've left it up. after talking to a plasterer, i painted over it with an oil based sealing primer with the eventual plan of doing a stucco sort of rough plaster over it. aahhh, the joys of an old house...

Yep, walls with 10 layers of wallpaper, half peeled in different spots and painted over. Nothing to do with that but start over. We didnt use the 2x2s, we put the drywall up over the plaster - however I wont do this again because it brings the wall out so far that I had to take out the original baseboards most of which splintered.

So from now on i'm taking the plaster down. lots of crappy old dust and stuff comes out when you do that too which i think makes the house healthier and on outside walls, it will give me an opportunity to insulate. And change any old wiring. Messy, but the right thing to do i think.

Now for the kitchen where there is only one layer of paper that i need to take down - what is this "fabric softener" method of yours beats?

I used the fabric softener method as well and it is magic.

Basically just peel off that top layer of wallpaper as much as you can. Then using a big sponge soak the bottom layer and it peels off nice and easy. You may want to use a plastic scraper to get the odds and end pieces left behind.

You can either use a bunch of fabric softener in warm water or powdered laundry detergent works just as well.

And here I thought the point of fabric softener was to cover up the smell of fatties....

Back to the brief:

Life is wonderful, and might also be dreadfully attenuated, for any variety of reasons. Take the time to work out what's worth getting worked up about. The shortlist might be surprising, and refreshing. You really find where the love comes from, in both of you. This seems to be more and more important as the years roll by, if older people I know and admire are anything to go by.

[sorry, that's just soaked in scotch, but no less meant]