Jambands.ca

US Gives Fed Tax Break for Driving Gas Guzzlers!

StoneMtn

This year, the perks of buying a large SUV — if you're a small business owner — got even bigger.

Congress recently passed a tax bill, as proposed in President Bush's economic stimulus plan, that offers a $100,000 tax credit for business owners who purchase any vehicle weighing 6,000 pounds or more when fully loaded.

Click here for the full, anti-environmental story...

Jebus F'in F'n f*ck....F*ck don't even have words F*ckers, f#ckin sh1t balls.

Well said. (Howler, would you mind if I consulted you the next time I am having trouble drafting my oral submissions to the Court ;) ?)

In all seriousness, you took the words right out of my mouth.

... and Snail, you too; a very accurate picture painted by your post, and duly scary.

I wonder what's going to happen when they finally use up all that oil and get to the edge of that cliff!

Is what's happening these days regarding rising prices and mass consumption really all that different than what happened in the 70's/early 80's? I'm not talking about what's the right thing to do in terms of conservation, etc. I just think people are overreacting to the current situation... And why single out the US? Do we not drive cars in Canada? In the UK? Sure, this tax break isn't going to help things, but it's not like every person who owns a SUV is getting the break. It's a break for small business owners, which, given the current economic situation in the US is probably a good thing. What are businesses supposed to do? Deliver their goods in a hatchback? I'm all for saving the world or whatever, but this isn't just a US problem. It's a global problem. Why not be more concerned about all of the third world countries who are consuming oil at an unheard of rate (due to their lack of technology), or their abuse of coal, etc. These are things that I find much more pressing of an issue than some tax break...

Reading an interesting book about it right now called "The End of Oil". It's a touch apocolyptic at times (though perhaps rightly so), but overall a pretty even account of what many say will happen over the next 25 years as we use the last of the easily accessible global oil supplies.

Del, I think you're missing the point.

Whereas most other countries are attempting to decrease emissions from vehicles, this tax break is designed to increase oil consumption, thereby further lining the pockets of those with a vested interest in the oil industry; and hastening the destruction of the environment simultaneously.

As well, the reason we should "single out" the US is that it is clearly the worst offender.

For instance, car companies are designing "smart cars" to decrease emissions, but in North America they are releasing them in Canada, not in the US, because the attitudes and political climate down there encourage burning as much fuel as possible and regard having a big vehicle as some type of status symbol; rather than an embarrassment to the owner, which would be logical. (They are considering releasing an SUV version of the smart car in the US, which is a pretty funny oxymoron in itself.)

As well, your comment that this tax break won't help things is one of the bigger understatements I have heard from you. To say this will not help does not emphasize that this will truly exacerbate an already terrible situation.

In fairness, I'm not too pleased with Canada's environmental position right now, either, in that we are not even trying to meet our obligations under the Kyoto Accord and are actually buying "credits" from the EU to allow us to pollute more than we would otherwise be entitled. That being said the US absolutely refused to sign on to the Kyoto Accord in the first place, again bringing me back to my point that it is the world's worst offender.

But what do I know; for I am just a simple caveman...

Is what's happening these days regarding rising prices and mass consumption really all that different than what happened in the 70's/early 80's?

Yes it's hugely different. The oil crisis in the 70s was brought on when Saudi Arabia cut oil exports to countries that supported Israel. The

forthcoming oil crisis will be because we are running out of the stuff.

I'm not talking about what's the right thing to do in terms of conservation, etc. I just think people are overreacting to the current situation... And why single out the US? Do we not drive cars in Canada? In the UK? Sure, this tax break isn't going to help things, but it's not like every person who owns a SUV is getting the break. It's a break for small business owners, which, given the current economic situation in the US is probably a good thing. What are businesses supposed to do? Deliver their goods in a hatchback? I'm all for saving the world or whatever, but this isn't just a US problem. It's a global problem. Why not be more concerned about all of the third world countries who are consuming oil at an unheard of rate (due to their lack of technology), or their abuse of coal, etc. These are things that I find much more pressing of an issue than some tax break...

George W. recently announced the US will increase their use of coal in the very near future.

When the people running the US are so in bed with the oil industry, I think that is good enough reason to single out the US. And I'm an American citizen.