Jambands.ca

5 Disc Rotation Plus

scottieking

Hey Everybody, let's play 5 Disc Rotation with an addition - Make one your hands down recommendation of the month with explanation

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

Ryan Adams - Cold Roses

Ben Folds - Songs for Silverman

Black Crowes - 5/17/05

and the Hands down recommendation

Eels - Blinking Lights and Other Revelations - This guy can write great songs and now 2 discs worth - variety of styles, beautiful lyrics, get into it

Just a single disc/DVD player here...

Currently:

[color:red]DVD

Peter Tosh

Montreux Jazz Festival

Montreux,Switzerland

1979-07-16

Past:

Vorcza 2005-05-19 Pepper Jacks

Bob Dylan - American Journey's

Steve Murphy - Friends & I

Fat Cats - Cruelty's Cure

Recommendation:

Vorcza 2005-05-19 Pepper Jacks

Great show & I recorded it.(shameless promotion)

Guest Low Roller

Cypress Hill- Stoned Raiders

Iron & Wine- The Creek Drank The Cradle

Muse- Origin of Symmetry

"!!!" (pronounced Chk Chk Chk)- Louden Up Now

Interpol- Antics

I heavily recommend the Interpol album. It is a killer piece of balls out indie rock. I like to think of them as what Grand Theft Bus might sound like if they got angry.

Edited by Low Roller

Bedouin Soundclash-sounding a mosaic- This is my Handsdown recommendation of the month..wekk..year whatever....this album/band is on of the best i've ever heard....every song on the cd brings the good vibes...check it out if ya havent already you'll love it

Sublime-Robbin tha Hood

Beastie Boys-The IN sound from way out

Blind Melon-Nico

Grateful Dead-American Beautey

Edited by Guest
Gotta pay closer attention to thread titles

Wow...Good to see the Beastie Boys alot, I myself added The In Sound from Way Out for shits and giggles this weekend and forgot how much I love it!

Beastie Boys-In Sound from Way Out

Beck-Guero

Addison Groove Project-Allophone

Slip-Angels

Hands Down...

Ween-Live in Trenton NJ 02-07-02...it's wicked fun, they do a sweet cover of Band on the Run as well!!! Some dude yells "Tender Situation!" the entire show, and do they play it? nope!!! The sound is great!

:: set I :: (acoustic)

Don't Shit Where You Eat, Mister, Would You Please Help My Pony?, Back to Basom, Chocolate Town*, She's Your Baby, Freedom of '76, Pandy Fackler, Baby Bitch, The Mollusk, Mutilated Lips, Joppa Road*, I Can't Put My Finger on It, Sorry Charlie, Ohio, If You Could Save Yourself You'd Save Us All*

:: set II:: (electric)

You Were the Fool, Band on the Run, Pork Roll Egg & Cheese, Roses are Free, The Stallion Pt. 3, Transdermal Celebration*, Sweet Texas Fire, Fancy Pants*, Bananas & Blow, Voodoo Lady, Albino Sunburned Girl, Ooh va la*, Zoloft*, It's Gonna Be a Long Night*, The Stallion Pt. 5, Buckingham Green.

* = 1st time played

Pat Metheny- The Way Up

Talking Heads- Speaking in Tongues

David Wilcox- 60 minues with

Stars- set yourself on fire

handsdown!

Miles Davis Group- Tribute to Jack Johnson // recorded in 1970 as a soundtrack for documentary of legendary fighter Jack Johnson: Unforgivable Blackness.. Awesome lineup with Mclaughlin, Cobham and Hancock.. 2 long awesome pieces that feel like jams at points, super funky and just a little bit 'out there' .. me likey!

Okay, so I don't have a 5 disc rotation right now (I've been hitting shuffle on the iPod too much lately). BUT, I do have the "Plus" part down...

Smokestack - 4-8-05 Village Idiot, Maumee, OH

Holy smokes folks! The boys were handing these out at CT and it's probably the best item in my take-home "treat bag" from the weekend. What a solid boot to the ass. The next time someone asks me to define the term "jamband", I think I'll have to throw on this show. Man alive!!! I'm wound up. I think a cross border trek may be in order to hear this Stack again. Find this show if you can, if not, send me your addy in a PM and I'll fire you off a copy. Totally a must have!

I'm definitely a Smokestack fan after that performance Saturday night. Such an engaging mixture of personalities and talents. I loved watching the expressions on the drummer's face, as the tensions rose and fell - that's one thing that made it such a full-on jamband experience for me (I mean, on top of the killer show itself).

Bedouin Soundclash-sounding a mosaic- This is my Handsdown recommendation of the month..wekk..year whatever....this album/band is on of the best i've ever heard....every song on the cd brings the good vibes...check it out if ya havent already you'll love it

Hey thanks gr8ful, those guys are coming to Peterborough soon and I've been wondering what they're all about.

Iron & Wine - The Creek Drank The Cradle

Gomez - In Our Gun

Rheostatics - Whale Music (movie soundtrack)

The Future of the Blues Vol. 2 (a NorthernBlues sampler)

And my recommendation: Phish 12/2/99 Auburn Hills

--- I recently was given about 100 discs of live phish, so I've been going through them and getting back into the phish more than i've been in a long time. I suggest this show specifically because of the Bathtub Gin on it.. It is thee best Bathtub Gin ever!! spacey but with a nice energetic rhythm and towards the end Trey's guitar sounds like a tenor saxophone, then right at the end he turns his guitar into a dinosaur roaring in the morning!! i swear! But really its some of the finest Phish improvisation I've heard.

It's three CDs, but doesn't include the encore, which was "Kodachrome" and "Shakedown Street".

Is your copy from a different source? How many CDs is it, and does it include the encore songs?

Bradm, thanks for the link. The disc I got at CT only has up to Send My Regards and is only the one disc. My sister got one too, so I'll see if she was given a different copy or not. I'd love to hear that encore! I just threw it on when I got to work this morning and was only on song 4 (Josie) when I posted. Hot damn! I'm lovin' these guys! Sounds a little different with a clear head. ;) Wow!

Spin Doctors - Pocketful Of Kryptonite

Vernon Reid & Masque - Known Unknown

Brad Mehldau - The Art Of The Trio Vol. 2 Live at The Village Vanguard

Fishbone - In Your Face

and my hands-down recommendation is

Frank Zappa - The Yellow Shark

If you're into Zappa and don't have this record, get it. If you're not into Zappa, and think you won't like his music because of all the "potty mouth" stuff he's been known to do, get this album. If you like orchestral music, and are willing to be challenged, get this album. This is orchestral Zappa done right, with an ensemble that went above and beyond the call (showing up for rehearsal hours early, allowing themselves to be sampled so Zappa could work out arrangements without them, playing music Zappa thought humans couldn't, and placing themselves in performing situations they hadn't even considered before). And through it all, you hear Zappa: his compositions, his attitude, his "stance", his humour, his influence, him. The sound quality on the recording (it's a live show) is stellar, and the liner notes are an extremely worthwhile read. Of the last few works of Zappa's life (which also include "The Lost Episodes" and "Civilization Phaze III"), this is the best, and also ranks as one of the best works of his career.

Aloha,

Brad